Hacking What's the best up-to-date way to emulate NDS on the Wii U ?

Dabu47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, so I almost finished the installation of my WiiU and I've installed a ton of platforms and channels forwarder redirecting on my vWii thanks to all your tutorials out there: Gamecube, N64, Playstation, GBA, SNES... There is only one console left that I'm not entierely sure about as a lot of people have differents opinions on the way to play it on the WiiU and it is the Nintendo DS.

I saw that some people recommend simply to use the VC injection as it's already well optimized but I would have prefered a loader charging my .nds roms instead of injecting manually each game that I want (as it seems tedious and long to create each splash screen for tv screen, gamepad screen and icon too etc.. - I know there is some injection tools out there but if I could use a loader for my games and download my covers from GTDB that would be great).

The other solution is Loadiine and use it specifically for NDS games but latest version is from 2017 (so very deprecated by now), some of you reported it as unstable and could cause crash and finally I don't see any forwarder for the vWii that I could use by searching online. Loadiine seems cool and all but I lack of ressources to install it for now.

So my question is: If you play NDS on your Wii U, what's the way that you would recommend of doing it (and if possible the most up-to-date way for now) ?

Franciscop98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I am unaware if Retroarch has a core for NDS on Wii U, but even if it has, I would still advocate for VC injects, as it basically has the best emulation with (almost) guaranteed compatibility out of the box. I understand making splash screens and stuff can be a bit time consuming, but as you said, there are injection tools that ease the work.

Other than VC injects or a Retroarch core, Loadiine is way to unstable, not recommended at all. And as far as I remember, you still need to convert your games to VC injects? Because Loadiine is not a general loader, it loads Wii U games. So, that's not really worth it.

And finally, no, there is not and probably never will be a NDS emulator for Wii (So, no forwarder either). Getting to emulate NDS on the Wii seems like a loosing task. But maybe someone will do it some day.

Reactions: Dabu47

Dabu47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Understood, seems like I can't escape my own lazyness and start passing through VC then.
Thanks for the advice

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am unaware if Retroarch has a core for NDS on Wii U, but even if it has, I would still advocate for VC injects, as it basically has the best emulation with (almost) guaranteed compatibility out of the box. I understand making splash screens and stuff can be a bit time consuming, but as you said, there are injection tools that ease the work.

Other than VC injects or a Retroarch core, Loadiine is way to unstable, not recommended at all. And as far as I remember, you still need to convert your games to VC injects? Because Loadiine is not a general loader, it loads Wii U games. So, that's not really worth it.

And finally, no, there is not and probably never will be a NDS emulator for Wii (So, no forwarder either). Getting to emulate NDS on the Wii seems like a loosing task. But maybe someone will do it some day.

I use loadiine as essentially my DS emulator, only loaded it up with DS VC titles and injects. I have literally like 300 DS games to choose from, and I wouldn't call it an unstable solution at all. Every game I choose, loads and plays without issue (and I didn't install known games not to work on Wii U like gen 5 of Pokemon). My only issue with using loadiine this way is that it takes a minute or so to boot each game from loadiine. Still, I'd recommend it for anyone looking for the illusion of having a proper DS emulator on the Wii U, one with high compatability at that.

Also, using CDecrypt to convert a normal format Wii U VC games or inject to loadiine format is super simple and takes like 5 seconds.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also suggest loadiine. The wiiu home menu can have up 300 tiles. I think it's technically 292 as the default apps count towards that total.

Reactions: MikaDubbz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.