DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's reverse that question.
How great is it working in retail?
I recently turned 16, and I wouldn't mind getting part time job (hey, I need a way to buy my games, lol).
Like all jobs retail is going to have it's good and bad days, but that's all part of the trade really. At your age it's a good thing to get a job wherever you can, retail included. You're pretty likely to start off with a job that has customers, and although some may not be that favorable or certain days, it really, really builds up your tolerance for people and bs. It can be a struggle at first but it makes you tough as hell.

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Like all jobs retail is going to have it's good and bad days, but that's all part of the trade really. At your age it's a good thing to get a job wherever you can, retail included. You're pretty likely to start off with a job that has customers, and although some may not be that favorable or certain days, it really, really builds up your tolerance for people and bs. It can be a struggle at first but it makes you tough as hell.
Retail is a good character builder. You learn alot about people.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends of the place I guess. It could be a bit stressful for newcomers.
A grocery store is a good start IMO.

I started there at 17. I'm soon to be 21, and it's going very well there. My place is set, my boss is proud of the job, and I'm the youngest older employees, in the order of task management :P

I may give it a try then. I was going to apply to Best Buy, but you need to be 17 >.>
Also tried GameStop, but you need to be 18...

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I worked at a supermarket for a month before I had to move. My only problem was I was probably the only one under 20. The employees where nice though. Got payed good. It wasn't to busy. It was fine fam. However finding a job after that has proven to be a challenge lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I may give it a try then. I was going to apply to Best Buy, but you need to be 17 >.>
I tried applying to bestbuy. I think you need a highschool diploma. Rip dreams meh dreams.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I worked at a supermarket for a month before I had to move. My only problem was I was probably the only one under 20. The employees where nice though. Got payed good. It wasn't to busy. It was fine fam. However finding a job after that has proven to be a challenge lol

I tried applying to bestbuy. I think you need a highschool diploma. Rip dreams meh dreams.
Hey, I began at 17. I'm not 21 yet! :D

Retail is a good character builder. You learn alot about people.
Totally. I can relate as well.

Reactions: WeedZ

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's pretty sucky. Most places are like that. But those places are nice starts. As long as you show them that you're willing to bust your bum you should do just fine.
Hey, I began at 17. I'm not 21 yet! :D
Unless you're a teen prodigy like Vinny over here. :P

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah that's pretty sucky. Most places are like that. But those places are nice starts. As long as you show them that you're willing to bust your bum you should do just fine.

Unless you're a teen prodigy like Vinny over here. :P
I was very lucky haha.

Was looking for a job during summer. Never called back. Then, out of nowhere, in October 2012, they called me, and asked if I was still availble for the task. I jumpscared, then said promptly "Yes!" :P
I managed to get there the next day, then, after a try of 2 weeks, I was told that they officially engaged me :)

Good thing here, was that I left school in June, prior to the job hunting.

Reactions: DDTarZan

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I began my work life at 15 with Work study (Working for min wage, while getting credit for school.) at a nursing home doing dishes, then moved on to Burger King, yuck. Then went to walmart, in the meat Dept, also pretty meh. Now I'm shift Supervisor at a pet food manufacturer, and I'm mostly happy with it.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I worked for a gas station corporation for almost 17 years. Started as a part time cashier, made full time, made assistant manager, and spent 2002-2014 as store manager running my own store. Store managers were much better compensated than those under them (assistants made $1/hr more than regular cashiers), but still really didn't make what we deserved for all the hours we put in and stresses we put up with... and yes it was much harder and more stressful than being a cashier or assistant. In my experience, a gas station is one of the worst places, as far as abuse from customers - blaming employees for gas prices, paying for stuff with piles of gross change, and don't get me started on lottery customers. Not to mention the company would only authorize us to use about half the hours in a week that we really needed to keep things the way they wanted. That said, I liked my fellow employees and many of the customers, but I'm glad to be gone. Took a position a year and a half ago managing a Christian bookstore. It meant a cut in pay, and sure there's still plenty to stress over, but overall it is a much better atmosphere, and I haven't looked back. And I really don't miss having to be at work at 5 am every day.

Reactions: VinsCool

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Working in retail during high school made me realise I need to buckle down in school so I don't have to work in retail after high school.

That realisation alone was worth more than the sum of my 4 1/2 years worth of wages working in retail.

Last edited by laudern,
Reactions: LarBob

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who has worked as a manager for over 13 years in a retail environment, I though I'd give a little advise for those looking to get hired, from the hirer's perspective:

1)Dress "business casual" for both an interview and when you pick up the application and drop it off (shirt and tie is overkill for most retail places, but you want to look like you care about getting the job)

2)Don't be rude to an employee, make a mess, or complain about something; then ask for an application (yes I've had people do this). If you fill it out there, be sure to do it somewhere out of the way, and bring your own pen.

3)The first thing I look at on an application are the hours available to work. The more the better. If you can't work the times I'm needing someone for, you won't be considered past that. Don't lie, if you have to work around a class you're taking, put it down. But if you'd just rather not work Friday nights, list yourself available. If you make it to an interview tell them there that you'd prefer them off but are willing to take turns, most managers will work with you.

4) The second thing I check is job history. Especially reasons for leaving. "Personal" or "Will explain at interview" are red flags. People who are only at jobs a few months at a time can also be a concern (I don't want to go through the bother of hiring and training you if you're going to leave in two months and make me start over). Even if you've hated your previous jobs, be as positive as you can about them. Oh, and don't lie or leave off jobs - they'll all show up on the background check most employers do these days.

5) References aren't as important as you think. Most big businesses will only confirm that you worked for them because they're afraid of getting sued if they say anything negative. Most applicants are smart enough to only put down personal references who will say good things about them, so these days references are almost useless. The exception is if you know someone who already works at that company who will put in a good word for you... as long as they are a good employee this can really help.

6) Please fill out the application completely. Don't leave questions blank and sign everywhere that calls for a signature. Put down phone numbers for previous employers - if I have to look them up, I probably won't bother with you.

7)Bosses are humans too, and for us, hiring is work. If you make our job easier, we'll notice. Dropping by and asking if the position is still open may just land you an interview, if only because it saves us making a phone call to someone else to set one up later.

8)On the other hand, when people call to "check on the status of their application" I just find that annoying. If your app makes the cut, I'll call you for an interview.

9)At an interview, smile and be as outgoing as you can. We're looking for someone who can be flexible with their schedule (meaning this job will be the priority for them), has a good work ethic, and who will be friendly and patient with customers - that's what you want to convey. Ask questions about what the expectations are. Be ready to tell stories about times you've given excellent customer service, resolved a customer complaint, or just made someone's day.

10)Finally, if, as they describe your responsibilities or required hours or whatever, and you realize that it isn't something you want to do, don't be afraid to say so and turn the job down. You'll both be better off in the long run.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who has worked as a manager for over 13 years in a retail environment, I though I'd give a little advise for those looking to get hired, from the hirer's perspective:

1)Dress "business casual" for both an interview and when you pick up the application and drop it off (shirt and tie is overkill for most retail places, but you want to look like you care about getting the job)

2)Don't be rude to an employee, make a mess, or complain about something; then ask for an application (yes I've had people do this). If you fill it out there, be sure to do it somewhere out of the way, and bring your own pen.

3)The first thing I look at on an application are the hours available to work. The more the better. If you can't work the times I'm needing someone for, you won't be considered past that. Don't lie, if you have to work around a class you're taking, put it down. But if you'd just rather not work Friday nights, list yourself available. If you make it to an interview tell them there that you'd prefer them off but are willing to take turns, most managers will work with you.

4) The second thing I check is job history. Especially reasons for leaving. "Personal" or "Will explain at interview" are red flags. People who are only at jobs a few months at a time can also be a concern (I don't want to go through the bother of hiring and training you if you're going to leave in two months and make me start over). Even if you've hated your previous jobs, be as positive as you can about them. Oh, and don't lie or leave off jobs - they'll all show up on the background check most employers do these days.

5) References aren't as important as you think. Most big businesses will only confirm that you worked for them because they're afraid of getting sued if they say anything negative. Most applicants are smart enough to only put down personal references who will say good things about them, so these days references are almost useless. The exception is if you know someone who already works at that company who will put in a good word for you... as long as they are a good employee this can really help.

6) Please fill out the application completely. Don't leave questions blank and sign everywhere that calls for a signature. Put down phone numbers for previous employers - if I have to look them up, I probably won't bother with you.

7)Bosses are humans too, and for us, hiring is work. If you make our job easier, we'll notice. Dropping by and asking if the position is still open may just land you an interview, if only because it saves us making a phone call to someone else to set one up later.

8)On the other hand, when people call to "check on the status of their application" I just find that annoying. If your app makes the cut, I'll call you for an interview.

9)At an interview, smile and be as outgoing as you can. We're looking for someone who can be flexible with their schedule (meaning this job will be the priority for them), has a good work ethic, and who will be friendly and patient with customers - that's what you want to convey. Ask questions about what the expectations are. Be ready to tell stories about times you've given excellent customer service, resolved a customer complaint, or just made someone's day.

10)Finally, if, as they describe your responsibilities or required hours or whatever, and you realize that it isn't something you want to do, don't be afraid to say so and turn the job down. You'll both be better off in the long run.
Just curious about the part with leaving a job off your list and it showing up in a background search. Does that matter too much since if someone didn't list it, it was probably for a reason and how exactly is it found out through the background check if you give no info about it?

Last edited by cvskid,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What is the difference between #7 and 8? It sounds almost contradictory to each other.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious about the part with leaving a job off your list and it showing up in a background search Does that matter too much since if someone didn't list it, it was probably for a reason and how exactly is it found out through the background check if you give no info about it?

Before hiring (or sometimes right after, depending on the company) most employers run a background check. These not only cover police records, but also return a list of every job, with dates, the applicant has held. Most apps only have space for three or four jobs, you want to put your most recent ones. Anything before that usually isn't relevant anyway.

Now, if, say, the job before your current was only lasted two weeks before you quit or something, then I wouldn't list it on the app, but I would mention it at an interview (they won't have spent the money on a background check before they've interviewed you) so they're not caught by surprise. Otherwise, purposely leaving a recent job off the list isn't good, because we'll assume you're hiding something.

What is the difference between #7 and 8? It sounds almost contradictory to each other.

Well, maybe those are just my personal preference. I tend to get a ton of those phone calls, so they don't make you stand out from the crowd, they just make you another person interrupting my work. Very few applicants actually physically stop by, so to me, that means they must genuinely be interested in working for me, whereas, in my mind anyway, a phone call is just kinda lazy thing people do because you're supposed to.

Reactions: cvskid

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
My first job ever when i was 15 years old was working in a big grocery chain in Australia. Just for extra pocket money after school and on weekends. When i finished high-school i did 2 years full-time work (38 hours a week in AUS)

I hated it every second of every minute of every day. The salary is so terrible, even for supervisors and managers, drudging away robotically in their menial job for $20 AUD per hour has torn apart the very fabric of their personality and turned them into feeling-less devil worshipping monsters.

And don't get me started about the customers who frequent large supermarket chains. Rude, arrogant people with first-world problems, taking it all out on you. But all you can do is stand there smiling whilst scanning their items at the cash register, while your brain displays a montage of daydreams about how many different ways you can murder that rude customers family while you make them watch.

As you hand them the receipt and their money change, and they arrogantly snatch it from the palm of your hands without even saying "thank you" or "have a good day" Your brain begins to picture the Grand-Finale of how to murder that person, while they're in tears at the sight of their dead family, which you finished-off just minutes before.

Retail. Don't do it. It'll suck the life-force out of you and turn you into a robotic monster. I don't get out of bed for under $50 AUD per hour now, in my Lead/Zinc/Silver mining job. I am so much happier for it too.

Last edited by Deleted member 333767, , Reason: EDIT: Spelling

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most of my problems in retail are simply from the people I work with. We hire a lot of idiots, and the store is run by idiots. I basically have political immunity or I would've been fired ages ago for telling off our retard "store operations manager" (it's a fake job title made to keep the dipshit happy).

This is most likely because I already expect nothing from people. I'm pleasantly surprised when people act like rational human beings, and am not surprised when people act like fuckwits. I also wont help customers who act like assholes or try to treat me or any other employee like shit.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Granted I do not do US retail where I imagine volume is probably higher but I usually hear the opposite for that, and usually find it gets people (mainly job agencies) to want to speak to me where these days you are lucky to get a "we got it" response to an email/sign up form/in person form.

I shall have to look into what background checks are available in the US though. I have not done anything proper there for a decade or so and what it sounds like you can get back now is interesting. How does it work for self employed people?

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And don't get me started about the customers who frequent large supermarket chains. Rude, arrogant people with first-world problems, taking it all out on you. But all you can do is stand there smiling whilst scanning their items at the cash register, while your brain displays a montage of daydreams about how many different ways you can murder that rude customers family while you make them watch.

As you hand them the receipt and their money change, and they arrogantly snatch it from the palm of your hands without even saying "thank you" or "have a good day" Your brain begins to picture the Grand-Finale of how to murder that person, while they're in tears at the sight of their dead family, which you finished-off just minutes before.

You and I would be great friend. I f**king hate customers. When I was working at Silly Sollys as a high school kid back in the 90s, it sucked. We once had a lady shit in the store. I kid you not. A steaming pile of it, just like it ain't no thing.

I once made a sign saying "suitcases from 9.95". Not 10 minutes later I had some retard complain that the suitcase he purchased for $40, was not the display price of 9.95. WTF!?!?!?

Many, Many times we would have customers ask to use the office toilet. GTFO and walk around the block to use the pisser. They expect us to let them into the office where personal belonging were just left wherever in that room, walk through it, and then take a steaming dump. My job wasn't to stand outside the toilet door and listen to you drop off last nights dinner, just to insure you didn't steal anything on the way back to the shop...

One time I was out back price marking products. Out of nowhere a customer sticks his head into the back room and accuses me of talking to myself and then starts to argue with me when I said that I wasn't. Id rather be talking to one of the dead rats under a pellet than talk to that drug f**ked bogan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1