Pup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, everyone.

I'm not sure if I've ever posted, but I'll be honest, I've been lurking on this site for well over 10 years. I have some questions for those of you who work from home.

I have been looking for WfH jobs for a while because the fiancee works and goes to school full-time; we have kids and a house—the whole setup. I recently left your typical "leave house to go to work" job because it was just simpler for me to stay home as the kids needed to be taken back and forth to and from school as well. I just picked up a WfH job that pretty much requires me to be at my desk 8+ hours a day, and I really didn't know that until I accepted the job offer, and my fiancee even stressed to me that she wished I would've known more before I accepted. I wholeheartedly agreed because it was very vague. Let's put it this way: I'm in week three of training, and I still don't know my official hours.

Anyway. Extremely long-shot, but does anyone know of any WfH jobs that don't require me to be there 24/7? (This sounds extremely arrogant, I know.) Or a WfH job that doesn't require me to be on the phone or answer calls? If it helps, I'm in the U.S., specifically Indiana.

Thank you all.

Edit: I guess I'll add that I'm very good at modding (and repairing) systems and PC's; I just don't know how to put it out there. I've tried starting a business in IT repair, but it never took off. I live in a rural area, so it's not a surprise that it's not very necessary where I am.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean before anything I would have a word with your new employer. A lot of places I've worked before have been happy to work around things like school runs for kids where possible. It's the kinda thing you really won't know unless you ask.

As for other WFH jobs, it's kinda difficult. Telephony is the biggest one as you probably already know because it's just so easy to get setup and there's pretty much always demand for it. Programming is pretty big too, but that's a hefty skill you'd have to learn if you don't already know.

I've never been fully remote myself but I've had hybrid arrangements (usually two days in office per week) doing telephony, business support, and programming. There probably will be a decent cast of roles out there, so just keep looking if the one you've got doesn't work out.

Reactions: eternal

Pup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean before anything I would have a word with your new employer. A lot of places I've worked before have been happy to work around things like school runs for kids where possible. It's the kinda thing you really won't know unless you ask.

As for other WFH jobs, it's kinda difficult. Telephony is the biggest one as you probably already know because it's just so easy to get setup and there's pretty much always demand for it. Programming is pretty big too, but that's a hefty skill you'd have to learn if you don't already know.

I've never been fully remote myself but I've had hybrid arrangements (usually two days in office per week) doing telephony, business support, and programming. There probably will be a decent cast of roles out there, so just keep looking if the one you've got doesn't work out.
Thanks for the kind words, buddy.

I just hate that I'm only three weeks into training and I'm already requesting accommodations. I will have to reach out to my supervisor and see what they have to say. Fortunately, I didn't sign a contract or anything, and my job offer explicitly says I can quit or be let go with or without notice at any given time, so I'm still looking for other opportunities.

Thanks again, man. I hope you're well thus far in 2024!

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive been working FT remote since the beginning of 2020, and even left one job to another FT remote. But both were in a higher level of IT (Info technology).
From what I've noticed, it seems higher level salaried positions (not so much manager) get remote jobs easier.

An example would be, if your job is more customer facing and you have to be available to answer questions either through, phone, email, or chat they want you to be available your whole shift with only restroom breaks.

If youre not as customer facing and you know the ins and out of your job with qualifications and/or experience beforehand you can get away with going to run errands, putting the laptop down to handle kids, answer the door for amazon, wash the car, make a sandwich, watch a 4 hour series on netflix etc. etc lol! :rofl:

So if they are requiring you to sit there and they literally have a way to monitor you? (like making you have a camera on at all times, or your busy light can never go orange or some other nonsense) you either need to
a) put up with it till you get enough experience to leave, and while there do programming on the side
b) find a better job and definitely ask them before hand what they expect realistically since youre a human who is working at home, but never give them details just politely ask what are the realistic requirements for being at the computer
c) find a way to game the system (DONT DO THIS, lmao) there are mouse movers and jigglers where you can step away temporarily to handle business but I wouldnt recommend it unless you know the IT Security is crap.
If they catch you, you would most likely be let go immediately
d) look on google for data entry jobs. this one isnt too bad but i dont know how easy it is to get into as it might be oversaturated since covid started. there was a forum/subreddit? i found back in 2017 that had data entry and they were paying like 18$ US plus DOE for data entry stuff, but the application process was very hard to get in. Like if you had too much experience you were almost auto denied.

Overall it seems its not easy to get into remote (and be treated like a normal human who can step away), from what Ive personally seen unless you have a degree in something financial like accounting, you got nepotismed into a company corp like business, you are in IT at a higher level, or you get extremely lucky. Its all of that or you take lower pay but more freedom :(

Good luck.
edit: for the grammerz and extra info

Last edited by eternal,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up