Hacking Wood R4 vs YSMenu

Wood R4 or YSMenu, which is better?

• Wood R4, the shiny new firmware!

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • YSMenu, the classic is still the best!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I'm a loser who still uses the original R4 firmware

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
bekar said:
Luckkill4u said:
I also forgot this:

bekar said:
What I think is, what's so good about Wood R4?
YSMenu already does pretty much everything Wood R4 does.(Yes but Wood R4 does more and maybe even moe in the future)
It updates better.(How do you know that? Proof?)
It's easier to access cheats.(It uses the same USRCHEAT.DAT and creates a .cc file whats the difference?)
IT can use and save output you like, not just .nds.sav(Just rename .sav to .nds.sav or don't and Wood R4 can have multiple saves)
...plus a lot more(not really)

I know Wood R4 is still just released, but hey, I just don't see the point of using this over YSMenu
unsure.gif

(no offense to the maker of Wood R4, by the way. This is only a comparison)

Where's proof that Wood will do more in the future?
evil.gif

My proof that it updates easier is simple.
YSMenu needs 3 files to be 'updated'
infolib - for speed
savlib - for savefile issues
extinfo- Anti-Piracy
replacing these 3 will pretty much completely update the firmware.
There's no proof that Wood R4 can update easier than YSMenu. YSMenu's updating is so easy, seriously. (+1 YSMenu)

While it uses USRCHEAT.dat as well, YSMenu doesn't need to make a .cc file to save its cheats. (+1 YSMenu)

..and while you claim Wood can have 'multiple saves' YSMenu has a much better system.
You can backup your saves into .bak files and restore them later when needed. (+1 YSMenu)

and I have my list of 'a lot more' if you needed it
-reads simple ini and txt files
-Pressing [Start] will bring up your quick launch bar which is really handy for storing homebrew apps and games
-Pressing [Select] toggles between Games, Saves and All Files
-An easy-to-edit ini file contains all the options
-Create save backups
-The quick launch bar also enables you to switch to FlashMe, GBA mode and return to your DS's menu
-Autobooting is supported
-Softreset is supportClick for more info
(+7 YSMenu
tongue.gif
)

Satisfied?
yaynds.gif
The extinfo savlib and infolib are out of the question and as I said in the previos posts if compatibility was a compitition it would be who gets it first like a race. As for the features ysmenu has almost all of them are in wood r4 so your point? As for the .cc files most people don't care and probably won't see a difference and the wood r4 source has been released http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=221...p;#entry2757374 and other programmers are going to add stuff too. Anyways sorry if I'm writing bad right now I have to post from a iPod touch.

tKo HaXoR

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
IMO: Setting up R4 Wood is much easier than setting up YSMENU for first time use.

R4 Wood = Download firmware from gbatemp. Drag and Drop _DS_MENU.DAT & _RPG folder to Micro SD. Good to go!

YSMenu = Getting YSMenu files from foreign website & DSTT firmware from DSTT site or mirror then either using a tutorial to get it together or the automatic YS Menu setup found somewhere on gbatemp, then you have to update the infolib, savlib, extinfo files. Finally, after all this, Good to go!

I think R4 wood firmware also takes less space in your Micro SD card. (Without cheat files, other files for extra functionality and compatibility being updated or skins added)

R4 Wood 1.5 = 3.74 MB
YSMenu Latest = 4.69 MB

R4 Wood also lets you connect your Pokemon games to the Wii. YSMenu doesn't.

+1 R4 Wood

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
tKo HaXoR said:
IMO: Setting up R4 Wood is much easier than setting up YSMENU for first time use.

R4 Wood = Download firmware from gbatemp. Drag and Drop _DS_MENU.DAT & _RPG folder to Micro SD. Good to go!

YSMenu = Getting YSMenu files from foreign website & DSTT firmware from DSTT site or mirror then either using a tutorial to get it together or the automatic YS Menu setup found somewhere on gbatemp, then you have to update the infolib, savlib, extinfo files. Finally, after all this, Good to go!

I think R4 wood firmware also takes less space in your Micro SD card. (Without cheat files, other files for extra functionality and compatibility being updated or skins added)

R4 Wood 1.5 = 3.74 MB
YSMenu Latest = 4.69 MB

R4 Wood also lets you connect your Pokemon games to the Wii. YSMenu doesn't.

+1 R4 Wood
Lol, my current Wood is about 23mb at the moment with everything (TT-TT not quite enough skins to make it to forty, but oh so close xD). On a separate note, guess who voted for the R4 firmware (me xD).

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you say YSmenu has better compatibility?
SMT and Pokemon HG/SS don't work properly on YS without patching the ROMs
Source

The only upside of YS is it seems to work betterbon the clones so it has SDHC support.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
without public cracks for game,YSMenu is pretty much dead.Unless someone from the team thats updating the .dats(in gbatemp) knows how to crack the games,I guess im wrong
Darkmystery said:
Normmatt said:
YSMenu fails HARD on ALOT of games, WoodR4 has 99.9% compatibility. Stop arguing you little fucking retards.

Have to agree. Also, much more user friendly. Basicly Wood RPG on r4. (!!!!!!!!)
get it right,the name is a big giveaway and your still wrong

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arguments for YSMenu sound like, "Even though your car is newer, nicer and can go over all sorts of terrain, mine is better 'cos it's green!" Honestly, Wood has much better compatibility than YSMenu. Not to mention the fact that all the points of "easier upgrading", load times and pointless bickering of cheat files are nothing compared to compatibility. Prioritise the important stuff, you'll realise that you'll care more about your game not working than saving those few milliseconds of load time when you come across an incompatibility.

laxman0220

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Normmatt said:
YSMenu fails HARD on ALOT of games, WoodR4 has 99.9% compatibility. Stop arguing you little fucking retards.

4637 - Just Sing! (E): VJTP 5E2D69D1
- 4744 - Tracy Beaker The Game (E): CWBP 357C1875
- Bejeweled Twist (U)
- Bookworm (U)
- Jam Sessions 2 (U)
- Jigapix Pets (E)
- Daniel X: The Ultimate Power (U)
- Scene It? Twilight (U)
- Alice in Wonderland (U)
- Major League Baseball 2K10 (U)

apparently, these games don't work on the dstt...my r4 clone has better OFFICIAL support than this

so how come your brain is telling you ysmenu>wood r4 in compatability :/

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
laxman0220 said:
Normmatt said:

- Bejeweled Twist (U)
- Bookworm (U)
- Jam Sessions 2 (U)
- Jigapix Pets (E)
- Scene It? Twilight (U)

apparently, these games don't work on the dstt...my r4 clone has better OFFICIAL support than this

no he said Wood R4>>>>>>>Ysmenu.

I think you misead that. Badly.

laxman0220

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
emigre said:
laxman0220 said:
Normmatt said:

- Bejeweled Twist (U)
- Bookworm (U)
- Jam Sessions 2 (U)
- Jigapix Pets (E)
- Scene It? Twilight (U)

normmat said wood>ys
bekar said ys>wood
i quoted cuz i was agreeing and extending on what he said.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
laxman0220 said:
emigre said:
laxman0220 said:
Normmatt said:

- Bejeweled Twist (U)
- Bookworm (U)
- Jam Sessions 2 (U)
- Jigapix Pets (E)
- Scene It? Twilight (U)

normmat said wood>ys
bekar said ys>wood
i quoted cuz i was agreeing and extending on what he said.

Ok. sorry but that wasn't that clear to be fair
tongue.gif

I guess I'll have to agree on Wood>>>Ysmenu. It really isn't a contest.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a huge fan of YSmenu for a long time now, but I have to concede. Wood is definitely a FAR better firmware. It even supports the new DSi enhanced games like MLB 2k10, which could not even be done with the new YSmenu update posted here about 2 weeks ago. the new 1.05 f/w even fixed WarioWare DIY's laggy issues for me!!!

I've now got full compatibility with cheats, games (haven't found one that doesn't work yet), skins, saves, emulation and media!!!

Thank you Wood F/W for finally reviving my R4!!!!!!

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite trying to keep R4YSauto as up to date as possible in the past I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Wood R4 over YSMenu. No point using a firmware that has clearly been superseded.

NDStemp

GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bleh, stop teh fighting. This is like bullying y'know. Like...WoodR4 is the baby because it's JUST been released while YSMenu has been alive for quite some time. So of course YSMenu will be better in most places now.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NDStemp said:
Bleh, stop teh fighting. This is like bullying y'know. Like...WoodR4 is the baby because it's JUST been released while YSMenu has been alive for quite some time. So of course YSMenu will be better in most places now.
"So of course YSMenu will be better in most places now"
wacko.gif
but it's not! Have you even tried Wood?

Seriously, the 'world' would be a better place if there was no R4 Section @ GBAtemp. Coming back in here is liking re-visiting some slum area that you may have grown up in, or reacquainting yourself with an old friend that has fallen to the dark side of the law. Makes one feel very uneasy & dirty.
blink.gif

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I vote for Wood R4. While you can bicker over the best support, how many files to replace or how to set up there is one paramount feature Wood R4 has over YS Menu: the Wood R4 source is available and unlike YS Menu does not depend on a single programmer to be maintained in the future.

While Yasu did his best, he didn't bring any enhancements the last year and demands that the only source of YS Menu is his unreadable site. Futhermore it needs hacked together scripts to make a usable package for the R4 since nobody is allowed to deliver a pre-build package. Furthermore it depends on a hacked DSTT kernel which is also as closed source as it can be (needs to be hacked even to disable a fake killer).

And while the effort to maintain the extlib, infolib and savelib is commendable, the Wood R4 software has all this already in the first release and more. So I think it must have a much better source for updating. Besides that, the RPG software has a much larger user base and is therefore is more likely to have updates faster.

Besides that. Everybody seems to start hacking extlib files and releasing private versions. There are many different variants released, all failing on different roms in different ways. The way Wood R4 is organized it is more likely to stay a collectively maintained single source.

So Wood R4 gets my vote, until proven otherwise (even after having been using Yasu's menu over 1 1/2 years until yesterday). I just don't like closed source.

I think the only thing Wood R4 needs to add is the .sav to .bak and .bak to .sav option...

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while you guys keep saying that YSMenu has better ROM support, you guys have to notice that it's mostly the people here that make the updates and it takes a while to make one.

shit, i mean, Wood R4 can play any game right now.

(Can YSMenu play Jam Sessions 2?
tongue.gif
cuz Wood R4 can)

and backup savs, all you need is a separate folder to back them up.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Stropdasje said:
Besides that. Everybody seems to start hacking extlib files and releasing private versions. There are many different variants released, all failing on different roms in different ways. The way Wood R4 is organized it is more likely to stay a collectively maintained single source.
Lol I like how this sentence has interchangeable words.
"Besides that. Everybody seems to start hacking the wood source code and releasing private versions. There are many different variants released, all failing on different roms in different ways. The way YSMenu is organized it is more likely to stay a collectively maintained single source."
(I believe both Rockstar and Xenon++ are testing two different versions of Wood, and the R4li team have yet another version using their loader xD)
Anyhow, I voted for the R4 firmware because its obvious with that with its limited abilities, zero support, large skin database, and almost no perks to any other card, it is by far superior to everything that is broken. [/sarcasm]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0