Wood R4 vs YSMenu

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by bekar, Apr 15, 2010.

?

Wood R4 or YSMenu, which is better?

1. Wood R4, the shiny new firmware!

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. YSMenu, the classic is still the best!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I'm a loser who still uses the original R4 firmware

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
Apr 15, 2010

Wood R4 vs YSMenu by bekar at 6:00 AM (38,279 Views / 0 Likes) 129 replies

1. bekar
    OP

Member bekar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Think before you answer!
    Here are some 'awards' for both Wood R4 and YSMenu:

Code:
    (these are my opinion only)
    Best Skins: Draw (Lots more AK2 skins than YSMenu, but renaming R4 skins makes YSMenu skins really easily... so it's hard to say)
    Best ROM support : YSMenu (Exinfo.dat can be updated, so yeah)
    Fastest ROM loading : YSMenu (Pretty close, but YSMenu has updated Infolib.dat that speeds it up)
    Best Save support : YSMenu (Savlib.dat updates, plus it uses .sav instead of .nds.sav)
    So I think it's safe to say that:
    If you're looking for something that looks good, you should probably use Wood R4
    If you're looking for something that has better compatibility and Anti-Piracy on Games, YSMenu is the way to go

Be sure to post your reasoning as to why you voted Wood R4/YSMenu.
    Go ahead and vote [​IMG]

2. Luckkill4u

Member Luckkill4u SOLDIER

Canada
    Best Skins: Wood R4 (AK2 skins are better and easier to find than YSMenu skins)Just because YSmenu is soooo damn ugly...
    Best ROM support : YSMenu (Exinfo.dat can be updated, so yeah)Too early to say
    fastest ROM loading : YSMenu (Pretty close, but YSMenu has updated Infolib.dat that speeds it up)I think it depends on SD card but for me wood is faster
    Best Save support : YSMenu (Savlib.dat updates, plus it uses .sav instead of .nds.sav)[/size]Point?... This only made it so it can do larger saves. Wood could do it at the beginning.

I believe its too early to say which is better [​IMG] . You also forgot the extra features R4 Wood has like wii connection and soft reset and such.

3. bekar
    OP

United States
    YSMenu can connect to Wii, I've done it before.
    And I don't think SD changes the speed, it's all in the firmware you use.
    Plus what's the point of soft-reset? Just turn off and on your DS, it's actually not too hard.
    And to be honest, YSMenu looks awesome if you have a decent skin on.
    I use this:
    iYSMenu
    It looks pretty damn good on my Black DS Lite.

I'm surprised people would rather firmware that looks good rather than firmware that works good [​IMG]
    But I guess it's opinion.
    Personally, I have both on my card but it boots to YSMenu on startup [​IMG]

4. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Actually its extremely easy getting YSMenu skins. In fact if you count the R4 skins (converting an R4 skin consists of renaming two files xD), there are a lot more YSMenu skins than there are Acekard skins, although the Acekard GUI does have a smexy feel to it compared to the simplistic YSMenu.

ROM support: Meh, it would be easier and quicker if people knew how to work with the extinfo.dat (then they could just update it themselves), but otherwise it is too early to tell.

Save support: I'd have to say the same thing I did for the extinfo.dat. If users can use it, then they could be faster than a firmware fix.

I haven't been able to check (so these are just things that I haven't heard about yet), but I think ysmenu can backup .sav files, and I haven't looked if the woodrpg could...

The best plus of ysmenu would have to be autobooting (moonshell2 compatible =D)

5. bekar
    OP

United States
    Yeah, YSMenu is so much easier to update.
    Pressing (a) on a Savefile makes a .bak backup file on YSMenu which can be restored later on.
    YSMenu's autobooting is simply awesome [​IMG]

EDIT: Don't forget to leave a post AND vote as well people [​IMG]
    No use voting and not explaining why you voted for that.

6. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Wood definatly has better ROM support, it could play all the games YSmenu had troubles with

7. Luckkill4u

Canada
    Hmm wii connectivity didnt work for me on YSMenu but wutever.

anyways like I said Wood R4 has just came out and only had one update. Its too early to say which has better compatibility, and how long has YSMenu has been out? A long time, but i respect your opinion at the same time my opinion is the complete opposite. And btw YSMenu and Wood R4 compatibilty are about Par right now so what are you saying about YSmenu having better compatibility?

8. bekar
    OP

United States
    Well now YSMenu has regular infolib, savlib and extinfo updates so there shouldn't be many programs now.
    and what happens when new Anti-Piracy games come out?

Wood R4= Download the newer firmware and delete your old _rpg folder then copy in the new folder
    YSMenu=Download newest infolib, savlib and extinfo and copy to TTMenu.

It's easy to say which will be easier to update regularly. [​IMG]

9. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    All this talk about Wood....I need to find me some American Pie [​IMG]

10. flamingo24

Member flamingo24 GBAtemp Regular

I'm sure a wood moonshell2 loader would be possible, akaio has one.

11. bekar
    OP

United States
    I'm saying that when Anti-Piracy updates come out:

Wood R4= Download the newer firmware and delete your old _rpg folder then copy in the new folder
    YSMenu=Download newest infolib, savlib and extinfo and copy to TTMenu.

..and Wii connectivity definitely works. I've transfered a Mii from my DS to my Wii with a japanese game called Tomodachi Collection. Using YSMenu.

What I think is, what's so good about Wood R4?
    YSMenu already does pretty much everything Wood R4 does.
    It updates better.
    It's easier to access cheats.
    IT can use and save output you like, not just .nds.sav
    ...plus a lot more

I know Wood R4 is still just released, but hey, I just don't see the point of using this over YSMenu [​IMG]
    (no offense to the maker of Wood R4, by the way. This is only a comparison)

12. Luckkill4u

Canada
    This just says you dont need to update the whole firmware, this has nothing to do about Compatibility. Get what I mean?
    Example: Say a new BIG game come out and blocks piracy for wood and YSmenu. This means they both dont have 100% compatibility, but Wood R4 creates a new firmware to fix it and YSMenu still has to crack it. Its whoever cracks it first get the best compatibility... Its hard to explain and sorry if you don't get it. Wood R4 has to wait for YWG (or Source) and YSMenu has to wait for the DSTT Team.

13. bekar
    OP

United States
    I get what you mean, it's like a race.
    So good point, we can't really say much about Anti-Piracy just yet [​IMG]

14. jurassicplayer

United States
    xD Most likely Xenon++ is already poking around with the Wood source, so I have little doubt that he is going to come up with something that will do just that.

Come to think of it, the only sort of other plus I can think of would be the boot slot 2 option that ysmenu has (and the shortcuts, though Wood does have favorites, so not too much difference there.)

15. Luckkill4u

Canada
    I also forgot this:

16. bekar
    OP

United States
    (+7 YSMenu [​IMG] )

Satisfied? [​IMG]

17. jurassicplayer

United States
    I think he just means that at this current point in time, there isn't a whole lot extra that Wood is offering (liable to change with more updates).
    As for the updating, he is referencing the just update three files when needed instead of the entire firmware when an update arrives.
    Easier cheat access is the fact that ysmenu places a fairly large button on the bottom screen as opposed to pressing two-three ish buttons to get to the cheat editor (not to mention all of the problems people are having with making cheats work).

Truth be told, I'd rather use WoodR4 because I could care less about ROM compatibility, I just like having a nice GUI to play around with and great homebrew support (yay moonshell2), but I'm supporting ysmenu here because at the moment, the firmwares are about the same.

-edit-
    Just a little hope that we don't get to flaming, but most of the stuff Bekar stated that ysmenu can do, WoodR4 can also do...The favorites screen is the same as the quick menu, there are nice pieces of homebrew that can boot to slot 2 and the DS menu which can also be placed in the favorites menu if you want, txt files are viewable in both (dunno about ini), ysmenu has an easy to edit ini, but so does WoodR4. Wood can't make backups and there doesn't seem to be a renaming feature just yet so Wood loses out on that for now, and I'm sure someone is going to add autobooting soon enough (Xenon++ xD).

18. bekar
    OP

United States
    I liked having a nice GUI to play around with as well, at the start.
    Then I realised it wasn't all that great and that YSMenu was still easier to use.

That's just my opinion, mind you.

19. bekar
    OP

United States
    [/quote]
    -edit-
    Just a little hope that we don't get to flaming, but most of the stuff Bekar stated that ysmenu can do, WoodR4 can also do...The favorites screen is the same as the quick menu, there are nice pieces of homebrew that can boot to slot 2 and the DS menu which can also be placed in the favorites menu if you want, txt files are viewable in both (dunno about ini), ysmenu has an easy to edit ini, but so does WoodR4. Wood can't make backups and there doesn't seem to be a renaming feature just yet so Wood loses out on that for now, and I'm sure someone is going to add autobooting soon enough (Xenon++ xD).
    [/quote]

Yeah, flaming's bad stuff [​IMG]
    I hate to argue, but I think the fact remains:

Wood R4= Looks better
    YSMenu= Better compatibility

So maybe let's all stop arguing and stick to voting then? [​IMG]

20. tKo HaXoR

Member tKo HaXoR GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Somewhat true. But the R4 Wood has great compatibility as well.