Hacking Wood R4 vs YSMenu

Wood R4 or YSMenu, which is better?

• Wood R4, the shiny new firmware!

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • YSMenu, the classic is still the best!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I'm a loser who still uses the original R4 firmware

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

moerik

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wood R4 1.05, why? cause it is sooo shiny and it has easier cheat support, explains instructions (YSmenu can't) and gives me wii connectivety nad properly plaed of some games YSMenu coulnd't.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
when you use YWG's firmware you don't get attacked for using something he released to the public so that the public could use it, unlike someone else....

better compatiblity in ysmenu? you must be joking. are you sure you know what compatibility means?

on-the-fly ap patching is impossible on the original r4. it is a hardware limitation. if ysmenu does it, it does it using code designed to load pre-existing patches on a per-rom basis, which is the exact same thing as when a game is "fixed" to work on a new version of the woodr4 loaders.

using ysmenu at this point is just holding onto the past. let it go. man up and grab your wood!

QUOTE said:
Best Save support : YSMenu (Savlib.dat updates, plus it uses .sav instead of .nds.sav)

that is so trivial. do you hate all countries that make you drive on the left side of the road as well?

QUOTEYSMenu needs 3 files to be 'updated'

that is because ysmenu is a hack. it is never optimized, cleaned up, made better, etc. woodr4 is a complete firmware which is constantly being updated and revised to be better. there is more to updating a firmware than releasing new sav info and loader updates. i wish more development teams would remember that.

-another world

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Rawr, since AW has openly voiced out that he believes WoodR4 superior, I plan to stick to his good side and support the WoodR4 (with evidence that might have been stated earlier). This is just because I do think Wood is cool and it almost makes me feel like I have an extremely lamed version of AKAIO, but w/e lamed AKAIO is always better than none.

WoodR4 can Delete/Copy/Paste/Cut ------- YSMenu can Delete
WoodR4 has smexy & very versatile skinning ------- YSMenu has two images: top and bottom.
WoodR4 saves as .nds.sav ------ YSMenu can save as .pie for all the user cares
WoodR4 can view images/text/music ------ YSMenu can view text
WoodR4 updates as one ------ YSMenu updates as three when needed
WoodR4's initial setup is simple ------ YSMenu's initial setup is a hassle.
WoodR4 has multiple skins support internally ------ YSMenu same via SkinselecterYS homebrew
WoodR4 initially smaller ------ YSMenu initially larger.
WoodR4 makes messy .cc files ------ YSMenu doesn't make any files
WoodR4 changeable icons (except folder icon) ------ YSMenu doesn't use icons
WoodR4 slightly cumbersome to get to cheat editor ----- YSMenu an idiot can open cheats
WoodR4 has Normmatt's support ------ YSMenu doesn't
WoodR4 has Another World's support ------ YSMenu doesn't
WoodR4 has a funny catchphrase ------- YSMenu doesn't
WoodR4 has favorites (unlimited?) ----- YSMenu has quickmenu with up to 9 addons

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
I love all the people who think that Wood R4 is brand new, thus believing that it must have some problems.
It's a port of Wood RPG. It's (RPG) been in development for many years. It's (RPG) always been updated BY IT'S CREATOR.

What's not to love?

Leo99999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wood R4

It's smexier, faster (for me) and has far greater compatibility with the games I want to play. I don't even have YSMenu on my card anymore, I solely use Wood R4.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wood R4:
Cut, copy, delete, paste features
Way better GUI.. WAAAY Better then that piece of shit ugly looking YSmenu
Way better team support, YWG has been updating WOOD RPG for a long time so you guys can trust him way more than people updating YSMenu(No offense to Pong and others)
Faster Menu
You say YSmenu has better compatibility eh?Try playing Alice in Wonderland or Jam Sessions 2

Its obvious that everybody who prefers YSmenu over Wood, has a clone R4 and doesnt want to admit it so they start saying YSMenu is better because thats all they can use

laxman0220

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ForteGospel said:
WoodR4 has in game enable/disable cheats --- YSmenu doesnt

is this true, cuz if it is....awesome
ohmy.gif

goncalodoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Rockstar said:
Wood R4:
Way better team support, YWG has been updating WOOD RPG for a long time so you guys can trust him way more than people updating YSMenu(No offense to Pong and others)
Faster Menu
You say YSmenu has better compatibility eh?Try playing Alice in Wonderland or Jam Sessions 2

Its obvious that everybody who prefers YSmenu over Wood, has a clone R4 and doesnt want to admit it so they start saying YSMenu is better because thats all they can use
if they had wood on theyre clone they would not say that,since its been a long time waiting for a fix to make saves work on clones(wich i think it aint that hard)!if no one gives a damn to help clones,ysmenu will always be the best for the r4 clone owner

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ForteGospel said:

Can you please tell the Wood R4 FAQ maintainer how to use this in-game enable/disable? Then it can be added, which would be helpful since I have no idea how this works and my guess is I'm not the only one. Wood R4 is lacking a manual for some of its features, not all features are obvious and this is surely one of them.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stropdasje said:
ForteGospel said:

Can you please tell the Wood R4 FAQ maintainer how to use this in-game enable/disable? Then it can be added, which would be helpful since I have no idea how this works and my guess is I'm not the only one. Wood R4 is lacking a manual for some of its features, not all features are obvious and this is surely one of them.
There you go.
If you feel like contributing something strart writing a manual yourself.
Start a new topic, 'R4 wood - Manual'.
Ask to get it stickied.

As long as your contributing something the other tempers will be more than happy to help you fill in the blanks.

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bekar said:
If you're looking for something that looks good, you should probably use Wood R4
If you're looking for something that has better compatibility and Anti-Piracy on Games, YSMenu is the way to go
voted wood for wii-ds connect

bekar

OP
Trophies
Website
www.omgpop.com
XP
Country
United States
One of the reasons I say YSMenu is better because I'm just so attached to my skin
rolleyes.gif

Here's the topic: (Skin-Maker needed!)

Acekard 2 Skin

If someone could do this for me... well, they'd be awesome. Full stop.
Gawd, the only reason I don't like the look of Acekard skins is that there's no good ones for my Black DS Lite. I was so attached to my YSMenu skin, and I couldn't find one similar for Wood R4.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
goncalodoom said:
Rockstar said:
Wood R4:
Faster Menu

if they had wood on theyre clone they would not say that,since its been a long time waiting for a fix to make saves work on clones(wich i think it aint that hard)!if no one gives a damn to help clones,ysmenu will always be the best for the r4 clone owner
Easy?
Try coding the save fix your self?
The R4 Clones and R4 have an almost same code so its really hard to tell what makes it save on the R4 but not on the real R4 clones?

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
goncalodoom said:
Aww, someone needs a group hug. Wood is good!
I don't feel sorry for clone users...hey, they've been "livin' off the back" of the orginal R4 for way too long! And let's face it, the clones cost a fraction of what I paid for my original way back in '07, so I/we deserve to, in some way, reclaim #1 position in the R4 branded world (despite all of it's other well-documented deficiencies).
ohmy.gif

Luziphir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Voting for the Wood R4 firmware. It much nicer user interface, is easier to install (just download and copy to the flash card, no running batch files and other bullshit), much better compatibility (YSMenu has trouble with a lot of games, Wood runs everything I throw at it), and MUCH faster loading (YSMenu takes like 5 seconds on my original R4, Wood takes less than 1). It's really no contest.

bekar

OP
Trophies
Website
www.omgpop.com
XP
Country
United States
Luziphir said:
Voting for the Wood R4 firmware. It much nicer user interface, is easier to install (just download and copy to the flash card, no running batch files and other bullshit), much better compatibility (YSMenu has trouble with a lot of games, Wood runs everything I throw at it), and MUCH faster loading (YSMenu takes like 5 seconds on my original R4, Wood takes less than 1). It's really no contest.

I hate to say this, but you really no nothing about YSMenu.
You can get YSMenu compilers that do it for you.
Better compatibility because it is newer... and plus update extinfo on YSMenu and voila! Better compatibility.
Much faster? You make me laugh. Update your infolib, then see. For example, with updated infolib my YSMenu loads animal crossing in half a second (seriously) while wood take about 2-3 seconds.

Of course it's a contest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?