Hacking Wood R4 vs YSMenu

Wood R4 or YSMenu, which is better?

• Wood R4, the shiny new firmware!

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • YSMenu, the classic is still the best!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I'm a loser who still uses the original R4 firmware

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Teraku said:
I like YSMenu best. I don't understand how anyone could pick looks over compatibility and speed.

Besides, YSMenu has a ton of skins out there, especially if you know how to use custom R4 skins for YSMenu. In fact, I have an awesome looking YSMenu skin right now. But I can't take a picture of how it looks on the Nintendo DS, I don't have a camera.

And YSMenu can connect to Wi-Fi and Wii and other DS consoles just fine.
I think you might have it backwards, Wood R4 doesn't just look nice, it's highly compatible, speedy at loading, and frequently updated, as well as being easy to install without having to put up with Yasu's pet peeves.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Teraku said:
I like YSMenu best. I don't understand how anyone could pick looks over compatibility and speed.

Besides, YSMenu has a ton of skins out there, especially if you know how to use custom R4 skins for YSMenu. In fact, I have an awesome looking YSMenu skin right now. But I can't take a picture of how it looks on the Nintendo DS, I don't have a camera.

And YSMenu can connect to Wi-Fi and Wii and other DS consoles just fine.
You're the one I cant understand. Why would you choose a skin over the compatibility and speed of a game? For me it's stupid. I dont care about the skins of design as long as it makes me play the latest games without any hassle.
Then I think you dont have any games on YSMenu because looks are what you care for?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
You're the one I cant understand. Why would you choose a skin over the compatibility and speed of a game? For me it's stupid. I dont care about the skins of design as long as it makes me play the latest games without any hassle.
Then I think you dont have any games on YSMenu because looks are what you care for?
Lol, then you wouldn't understand me either xD. I place skinning ability over everything, the smexier it is, the better (although homebrew support is nice...unlike Sakura). For me, its the feeling of turning on my DS, seeing the screen, and saying "damn, this still looks f'ing awesome".

yeop

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I only can use the YSMenu on my DSTT so I think is better xD
Also to play latest game on Wood you have to wait for an Update, and they update every 3 weeks(+ or -)
With YSmenu editable libraries we can have frequent updates thanks to retrogamefan and pong, and also people who know about hex edit can make their own fixes.

denieru7

Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion WoodR4 is better in most aspects.
This isn't a biased opinion, since I was actually a huge fan of YSmenu back in the day.

Those who say game compatibility is less that YSMenu's - that's COMPLETE rubbish. It's on par, if not better.

There is only one reason why I still have YSMenu as a bootable .nds on my R4, and that is to run the DS browser, because Wood isn't compatible with my EZflash 3in1+. Rumble works fine on Wood though. That, and to boot into the system menu without removing my flashcart - that's a handy thing about YSmenu.

Sir Eagle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Best Skins: Wood. AK skins look way better.
Best ROM support : Wood. It doesn't need any patches on the rom itself, since it detects the anti-piracy and cracks it automatically.
Fastest ROM loading : Wood. No loading time at all, even thouugh YS needed a few seconds with me.
Best Save support: True, renaming all the files manually to .nds.sav is a pain, but there is a nifty little program somewhere that does that for you, so I don't see any problem there. But I think YS wins there because it doesn't need renaming

Overall: Wood is the best for me, better skins, better support and instant loading. and who cares about renaming saves? it's worth it if you ask me.

dancubs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted WOOD. I'm not entirely knowledgeable when it comes to YSMenu as I have only seen videos, heard news and read articles on it, but from what I've seen playing with WOOD, I definitely would go WOOD. WOOD makes your R4 feel like an Acekard, and that's like making a 65 year old paralyzed geezer get up on his two feet and run like a 19 year old Olympic runner. Brings people's R4s back to life.

Skiller23

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
yeop said:
I only can use the YSMenu on my DSTT so I think is better xD
Also to play latest game on Wood you have to wait for an Update, and they update every 3 weeks(+ or -)
With YSmenu editable libraries we can have frequent updates thanks to retrogamefan and pong, and also people who know about hex edit can make their own fixes.
don't make me laugh, the updates of wood are faster and with better compatibility, i have a DSTT so i know what i say

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Sicklyboy I was reading your post on the lgbtq batman