ROM Hack [WIP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure! - English Translation

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
fXMGFqM.png

Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure!
*English logo by @Elratauru!*
That's right! A new entry has just been released in the Taiko no Tatsujin franchise for the 3DS! And like the last title, Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken, Team FULL COMBO! is releasing an english menu translation for the game (and maybe an story patch in the future)!

I love the Taiko no Tatsujin series. It is an insanely quirky series of rhythm games with tons of unique and cute characters, awesome music, and challenging gameplay. But the games have unfortunately been ignored in the west (with the exception of the PS2 original, which featured the Jimmy Neutron theme song). The game itself relies heavily on Japanese text and culture, but this shouldn't mean that players across the world have can never play the game. That is why this patch is being made! So that non-japanese speakers can enjoy the quirky universe of Taiko no Tatsujin!

Just like last time, an english menu patch will be released for the title. I would like to eventually work on the story for the Mystery Adventure portion of the game, but that might be an issue.

The game's story is held in different files than last time. In Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken, the story was placed in .lua files which provided easy editing. However, the font in that game made it very difficult to translate the story without the text running off the screen. In Dokodon! Mystery Adventure, the story is held in .dat files, which I currently don't know how to edit. I don't know if I will need to create a custom editor for the files or if I will need to use a special application to edit them since they are not only dat files, but dat files in Japanese text format. Any help on the matter would be extremely helpful. Other romhackers out there, if you know how I can edit these .dat files, please let me know by commenting or sending me a PM!
Edit 6/28/16: @dasding has awesomely given us some tools on how to unpack the .dat files, edit them, and put them back in the game! They work perfectly! Expect to see some new stuff soon!

Anyways, lets get to it.

HOW TO PATCH THE GAME:

Well the plan was to have two separate patches: one for just the menus and one for the story and the menus, but plans have kind of changed at this point. The whole goal as of now (4/29/17) is to just get a full patch out eventually. Making separate patches for just the menu vs just the story seems a bit silly in hindsight, especially with the new default, preferred patching method being Luma 3DS's LayeredFS function (see below).

If you need verification of any MD5 Checksums, check below the patch tutorials for a spoiler containing all the MD5s for pretty much every file you're going to encounter.

LAYEREDFS (NEW DEFAULT METHOD!):

Since the release of Luma 3DS 7.0, LayeredFS has been added to the CFW. For more information on what LayeredFS is and how it can be used outside of this patch, look here!
  • Download the latest layeredFS patch release from github here.
  • Create a directory on your SD card under "SD:/luma/titles/0004000000190E00/" called "romfs"
  • Unzip the release downloaded from github into the romfs folder
  • Enable game patching in Luma's settings menu (hold SELECT on boot to enter the menu)
  • Reboot and you should see the English files immediately upon entering the game!
For the English Keyboard:
  • Download the code.ips from below.
  • Place it into the titleID folder you created for the rest of the patch files under "SD:/luma/titles/0004000000190E00/"
  • When done, you should have your "romfs" folder and your code.ips file along with the locale.txt (if you have one present already).

ROMFS PATCH (FOR HANS AND MANUAL INJECTION):

• First things first, obtain Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure! in some way shape or form. You will need either a .3DS or .CIA file to proceed from here.
    • You can run this with your physical game cart, but you will still need to obtain a dump of the game in order to patch the romfs!
    • You cannot ask where to find the .3DS or .CIA file in this thread as that is against GBATemp rules. Please respect those rules.
  • Click HERE and follow the amazing guide provided by @Asia81 in order to obtain the necessary file you will need to apply the English patch.
  • The guide above will require you to DECRYPT either a .3DS or .CIA file.
  • The key file you will need once you decrypt and extract the rom files will be named "DecryptedROMFS.bin"
  • Once you have obtained the DecryptedROMFS.bin file, download the HANS patch below.
  • Place your DecryptedROMFS.bin in the patch directory and run the appropriate file for your operating system.
  • Once the patcher is finished, you will have a new file called "TNT3ENG-1.0.bin" in the patch directory. This is the English patched filesystem.
    • For HANS users, rename this file to "0190E00.romfs" and place it in the HANS directory on your SD card. Copy over the HomeBrew Launcher custom shortcut from the HANS Patch folder to launch the game directly from your homebrew launcher of choice.
    • For people who wish to rebuild their own .3DS file or .CIA file, head back to @Asia81's guide linked above to figure out how to do that. It is relatively simple.
    • For more details on CIA installation, see below.
.CIA PATCH (FOR INSTALLATION OR CONVERSION TO A .3DS FILE):
  • First things first, obtain the Japanese, untouched CIA of Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure in some way shape or form.
  • Download the CIA Patch from below.
  • Rename your CIA file to "Taiko no Tatsujin - Don Don Mystery Adventure.cia" and place it in the patch directory. Run the appropriate file for your operating system to patch the CIA.
  • Once the patcher is finished, you will have a new file called "TNT3ENG-1.0.cia" in the patch directory.
  • IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE JAPANESE VERSION OF THE GAME INSTALLED AND WISH TO KEEP YOUR SAVE DATA, BACK IT UP NOW USING YOUR SAVE DATA MANAGER OF CHOICE (I prefer JK's Save Manager). INSTALLING THE ENGLISH PATCHED CIA WILL REMOVE YOUR SAVE DATA. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
  • You can now move this CIA over to your SD card and install it with your package manager of choice (FBI, DevMenu, etc.)
  • Once the game has finished installing, restore your backed up Save Data if you had the game installed prior to the english patch.
    • In order for JK's Save Manager to restore your saved data, you need to open the game at least once so it can write the necessary data to the SD card. If you don't do this, JK's Save Manager will give you an error about not being able to read the SaveArch.
FOR DIRTY PIRATES:
I cannot guarantee this, but I am sure if you are patient enough and know how to access a certain ISO site you will be able to find both pre-patched .CIA and .3DS files. I know nothing more and nothing less about this, and it is not up for further discussion.

MD5 CHECKSUMS (FOR CONFIRMATION/REFERENCE)
DecryptedROMFS.bin: 283d41f4147388caecdba35054cff9da
TNT3ENG-0.9.romfs: cbac7219b345a82e12060c3cdd58e122
TNT3ENG-1.0.romfs: c2cc33462d25b6c28e11601dc50145c7
TNT3ENG-0.9.cia: e744d89e1410bf4051cc7bf540629fdb
TNT3ENG-1.0.cia: 5b6b36bb7610a18ce7c473987cd85d57
TNT3ENG-0.9.3ds: 98b08e05d5159450c63474323476d5c5
T3-1.1.cia: 00db41adbe1a0eec9aaa534b684c3af1
Taiko3DS3_EnglishUpdate1.1.cia: 050bfef141a21708cf405ded7f705e4f
Taiko3_decrypted.cia: 9dd47883525e25866c730d8433008baa
Taiko3.cia: a8c98063de60c93cee1b6622c4efc33c

HOW TO APPLY PATCH UPDATES TO A PRE-PATCHED FILE:

UPGRADING FROM 0.9 TO 1.0 (CIA VERSION)

• Download the "0.9 -> 1.0 (Incremental)" patch from below.
  • Place your version 0.9 CIA (TNT3ENG-0.9.cia) in the patch directory and run the patcher.
  • You should get a new file called "TNT3ENG-1.0.cia"
  • Copy the CIA file to your SD card for installation.
  • Before installation, BACK UP YOUR SAVE DATA using JK's Save Manager or any other preferred save data management tool.
    • YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA UPON INSTALLING THE NEW PATCH. IF YOU DON'T BACK UP AND RESTORE YOUR DATA, YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING. BACKUP YOUR SAVE DATA!
  • Once your save data is backed up, proceed to install the updated CIA with the package installer of your choice.
    • FBI is recommended since it will overwrite the previous installation, unlike DevMenu, which will just spit out an error and make you uninstall the previous installation manually.
  • Once the new CIA has been installed, go to your home menu. You should now see the English Banner and the English title on top of the game.
    • IF THE ENGLISH BANNER ISN'T SHOWING, you will have to completely delete the game before installing the new version. This way, the system will be able to refresh the icon cache and stuff, therefore displaying the new icon/banner information.
      • Update 8/8/16: But wait! You don't have to completely uninstall! For those brave enough, refreshing the icon cache is as simple as finding the right file and deleting it! Find more info about that here.
UPGRADING FROM 0.9 TO 1.0 (ROMFS VERSION)
  • Download the "0.9 -> 1.0 (Incremental)" patch from below.
  • Place your 1.0 ROMFS (TNT3ENG-0.9.romfs) in the patch directory and run the patcher.
  • You should get a new file called "TNT3ENG-1.0.romfs"
    • For HANS users, rename this file to "00190E00.romfs" and place it in the HANS directory on your SD card. Copy over the HomeBrew Launcher custom shortcut from the HANS Patch folder to launch the game directly from your homebrew launcher of choice.

HOW TO LOAD THE DLC:

The DLC is currently being worked on. There is no ETA on a patch for it, but it will be translated at some point in the near future. Please understand that the DLC takes a bit more time to translate due to it being in special file containers and whatnot.

LOADING THE DLC VIA NTR CFW:

• Download the latest version of NTR CFW for your device. You'll need both the CIA launcher and the latest NTR.bin file. You can find these on your own. The search bar and Google are very knowledgeable!
  • Download the langemu_jp.plg from this post.
  • Download and install the DLC from wherever you manage to find it. (Hint: that iso site...)
  • Make a "plugins" directory on the ROOT of your SD card.
  • Inside /plugins/ make a directory titled "0004000000190E00".
  • Place the langemu_jp.plg in the /plugins/0004000000190E00/ folder.
  • Boot your 3DS and launch NTR CFW (assuming you installed it correctly, it will boot back to the home menu automatically).
  • Launch Taiko from the home menu.
  • Enjoy the not-yet-translated DLC songs!
LOADING THE DLC NATIVELY VIA LUMA3DS:
Oh that's right. You read that correctly. You can now load the DLC without NTR by using Luma3DS! It is a new feature introduced quite recently that is pretty damned awesome. You have @Aurora Wright and @TuxSH to thank for getting this working! This is the recommended method, as it requires little to no work on the end-users end, plus it always works, unlike NTR which can fail to boot and can be a bit confusing for some.

• Download the latest version of Luma3DS.
  • Once installed (read the Wiki for instructions/help), hold SELECT while booting Luma3DS to enter the configuration menu.
  • Check "Enable Region/Language Emulation" in the settings menu.
  • Make a new folder called "locales" inside the /luma/ folder, which should be on the ROOT of your SD card.
  • Make a new text document and title it "0004000000190E00.txt". Inside that file, type "JPN JP". Save the text file.
  • Download and install the DLC from wherever you manage to find it.
  • Boot into Luma3DS from your entry point of choice (I personally recommend A9LH, but it isn't necessary).
  • Launch Taiko from the home menu.
DOWNLOADS:

Decrypted CIA English Patch 0.9 -> 1.0
Decrypted CIA English Patch 1.0

ROMFS English Patch 0.9 -> 1.0
ROMFS English Patch 1.0

TNT3 v1.1 Update English Patch
HANS Shortcut 1.0
TNT3 v1.1 LayeredFS Plugin

0.9 - Partial English Patch Released! Features everything needed to understand the main game, set up a street pass profile, change costumes, and even delve a bit into story mode!
1.0 - All menus translated into english! Changed "No Combo" mode into "True Hit" mode to reflect it's actual scoring method. English system text, grade text, and costume colors. Lots of mixed english things in Mystery Adventure mode.

SCREENSHOTS & VIDEOS:

(6/16/16) Screenshot of the title and the main menu, along with a poor quality vine of the main menu in action.

8kX1Sie.png
2Lp0pbW.png
(6/17/16) More screenshots! Dialogue buttons translated, common buttons translated, and more!
T5NqaAC.png
TzAOQhJ.png
WvxvInO.png
zyfJrLL.png
TuEdCiu.png
wTYeFnJ.png
NSrBtyg.png
2DzXiFg.png
OD4BKvx.png
J3MiEQn.png
(6/19/16) More Screens! Check out those interact buttons for RPG mode! I'm pretty proud of those! :yay3ds: Other than those, the results screen is now completely translated. The Do, Don, Ka, Kat, etc. notes are also translated now thanks to @Zander1995!
8hPCS38.png
QFWm4zp.png
tQkvo4x.png
NAAtx9d.png
OGpEZrq.png
pRVV0ls.png
(6/19/16) Some video footage! Mechadon playing "Night of Knights" on Oni.

(6/20/16) ~20 Minutes of video footage showing pretty much everything translated up to this point! I meant for it to be shorter but... I ramble.
(6/21/16) More screenshots! Story mode-specific stuff and some other things!
HoU668C.png
9N1WV8h.png
cBks2Ne.png
BuQ59gX.png
QVKp2AB.png
EnpUtgj.png
jPctydj.png
lbj0I1g.png
0Dxd5YM.png
ttQDJs2.png
(6/27/16) 0.9 English Patch Release! Check out some screenshots!
VdD0PJf.png
r2UEhik.png
AfFAEsy.png
pMHqnBU.png
Kxj4Rol.png
EAcDL2a.png
qkiuwGt.png
(6/28/16) Another progress update video, this time showing off injected english text! Also rambling about unimportant stuff, heh.
(8/8/16) English patch version 1.0 is out! Here is a video showcasing most of the new stuff! The update nag I talk about in the video is fixed, credit to DarkSynopsis!
(12/23/16) Local multiplayer and download play now working using the latest Luma3DS nightly!
(1/1/17) GIGANTIC STATUS UPDATE AND SCREENSHOT DUMP

FAQ:

Will the DLC be compatible? Will it also be translated?

This is currently up in the air, as the game just came out today (6/16/16) and DLC is set to roll out all year. It would be a bit tedious and a slight technological challenge to translate every DLC pack as it is released, so there most likely won't be any translations for it until it is all released. When that will be, I am unsure. But the english patched version will be compatible with the Japanese DLC just fine. DLC can be loaded via NTR or natively via Luma3DS.

Why was this patch developed quicker than the last one?

Since we have already done a full menu translation for the previous game, the menus won't be as difficult to fully translate since we already know what is what and where everything is stored. We also no longer have to deal with the technical issues that the images caused us in the previous game since we now have the proper tools to decompress them, edit them, recompress them and place them into the game. This will not be a simple drag n' drop translation, however, as a lot of the files have changed in minor ways (like with their color, size, etc).

My 3DS says an update is available for the game. Can I update without losing the English translation?
Yes and no. Don't install the update from Nintendo servers as it will break the english patch. The 1.1 game update fixes some things, but at the same time overwrites some of the english patch files. In order to fix this, please download the 1.1 update and patch it using the files provided above! Install it like any other CIA and it should be good to go! Note that since not all of the text files are translated yet, it might be necessary to have additional patches for the 1.1 update. Stay tuned for more information.

What is "True Hit" Mode?

"True Hit" mode is a mode that calculates your overall score differently than normal. It is similar to how the PC game Osu! calculates it's taiko-mode scores. Your normal score calculates all your hits and everything but then adds bonus points for being able to maintain a combo, whereas "True Hit" mode scores more for accuracy than the ability to maintain a combo. It can be toggled freely from the song select menu. Some people prefer this mode for competitive purposes. Below is a comparison showing Mecha-Don's score in normal mode vs his score in True Hit mode.
ar5EpDv.png
Lm5dv6F.png

"Team FULLCOMBO!" Members

@tiduscrying - graphics, other stuff
@shiduyo - translator and rhythm game god
@Zander1995 - translator who also does graphics (a double threat)
@NikolaMiljevic - more graphics (specifically the song titles)
@DarkSynopsis - helping me fix files, being a genius
@Elratauru - Creator of the KICKASS english logo

Super EXTREME thank you to @dasding for creating the scripts we are currently using to translate the text in-game. You are a god, man. Thank you so much!

Special thanks to @zzzzzzzzzzz for telling me what the hell a .txp file was and @Nagato for providing assistance with ctpktool! Without you guys, the first translation wouldn't have happened and this one wouldn't have even been possible.

Last edited by tiduscrying, , Reason: WIP EDITS TO INCLUDE LUMA 7.0 SUPPORT AND NEW PATCH

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Look forward to it! after having used the last translation I can navigate the menus enough in this game to enjoy it but still nice to see English.

Kind of annoying how playing the game it seems mostly the same yet once you crack open those files they have changed just enough for it to be an annoyance, I've no idea with the .dat files for the story text.

Just looking at the DLC they have changed it all enough that most of what I worked out from toying with the last game has gone out the window.

Edit:
A couple extra steps for the DLC but not changed as much as my initial impression of the files.

Video for the hell of it, doubt I'll say much more on DLC at this point don't want to hi-jack the translation thread :P

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Look forward to it! after having used the last translation I can navigate the menus enough in this game to enjoy it but still nice to see English.

Kind of annoying how playing the game it seems mostly the same yet once you crack open those files they have changed just enough for it to be an annoyance, I've no idea with the .dat files for the story text.

Just looking at the DLC they have changed it all enough that most of what I worked out from toying with the last game has gone out the window.

Edit:
A couple extra steps for the DLC but not changed as much as my initial impression of the files.

Video for the hell of it, doubt I'll say much more on DLC at this point don't want to hi-jack the translation thread :P

Awesome to see you still got the DLC working! Heh, now we could technically combine all the files from every taiko game on the 3DS, right? That'd make for one hell of a project though, I'd imagine. Question about your DLC though... When you add the songs from other games, do they still show up as "recently played" or "favorite songs" on the street-pass card?

But yeah, it is a bit aggravating to open up some of these images to see only slight changes, meaning that I still have to re-do them or something. But it is better that they're only slightly changed instead of being completely different. Then I'd have to rely on the translation team to translate more stuff for me, which would only take more time. I am pleasantly surprised to see that some images are reused from previous games, like the tutorial image that was a huge PITA to translate in the first place. So for those files at least, it is more or less just drag n' drop.

Also, Update 6/17/16! New images added to the OP! For some reason, I can't add the SongSelect_Tail image without it crashing, but I am looking into it. I might need to contact some people to get it working if it keeps failing. Nearly every other image is working without issues though! The patch is definitely moving faster than I thought! :lol:

Reactions: Lycan911

LeonardoGrecchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Having played the other instances of TnT, i'm curious about some of the new options in this game. Specifically, the second option in the song selection screen menu, which turns the score screen grey instead of yellow (first option in said menu is don/kat sounds, for reference).

Also, looking forward for the patch, I hope I can finally understand TnT

Reactions: tiduscrying

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were the previous game/s in this series on 3ds fully translated including story mode before starting this new project?

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Awesome to see you still got the DLC working! Heh, now we could technically combine all the files from every taiko game on the 3DS, right? That'd make for one hell of a project though, I'd imagine. Question about your DLC though... When you add the songs from other games, do they still show up as "recently played" or "favorite songs" on the street-pass card?

Also, Update 6/17/16! New images added to the OP! For some reason, I can't add the SongSelect_Tail image without it crashing, but I am looking into it. I might need to contact some people to get it working if it keeps failing. Nearly every other image is working without issues though! The patch is definitely moving faster than I thought! :lol:

Would be awesome to combine all the songs into the one game but I don't its possible :( from what I've worked out each song needs a Unique ID and they only have one hex value used for this so eventually you will run out of combinations from 1-9 + A-F if that make sense and I can't see a way to extend this.

I've no clue about the songs showing up on StreetPass I never set up StreetPass to know it did that, maybe I should I have 2 devices to see.

:O Crashing Image... curious... I was modifying some DLC which had custom dancers and stuff was seeing what I could do with it and when replacing the dancer image my game was crashing thought maybe there was more to that DLC that made it crash but if its happening with the base game...

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Having played the other instances of TnT, i'm curious about some of the new options in this game. Specifically, the second option in the song selection screen menu, which turns the score screen grey instead of yellow (first option in said menu is don/kat sounds, for reference).

Also, looking forward for the patch, I hope I can finally understand TnT
The silver mode is actually pretty neat! We're translating it into "No-Combo", but the direct translation meant something along the lines of "Star Performer". It is a mode that calculates your score regardless of any combo bonuses, which is apparently how Osu! on PC calculates it's taiko-mode score. According to @shiduyo, it is a feature from the arcade versions of Taiko that is also seen as a more true competition mode since it doesn't rely on the combo for your final score.

Were the previous game/s in this series on 3ds fully translated including story mode before starting this new project?
Well, the first game, Chibi Dragon wasn't translated, but the second, Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daiboiken was! We never fully patched it, unfortunately, since there is currently an issue with understanding how to edit that game's files. So right now the story mode is on hold while we work on other stuff. All of the menus are fully translated though, with the exception of the story mode specific menus. Feel free to check out the link in the OP or in my signature to see more about it!

The goal for this game right now is just to translate the rhythm game portion and the menus for the RPG mode, since I don't know how to edit the story text since it is in .dat files. Everything else is conveniently in image format, so it is understandably way easier to edit. Hopefully once the game has been out for a bit longer there will be walkthroughs on how to get through the story without reading the text, like there was for Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken.

Would be awesome to combine all the songs into the one game but I don't its possible :( from what I've worked out each song needs a Unique ID and they only have one hex value used for this so eventually you will run out of combinations from 1-9 + A-F if that make sense and I can't see a way to extend this.

I've no clue about the songs showing up on StreetPass I never set up StreetPass to know it did that, maybe I should I have 2 devices to see.

:O Crashing Image... curious... I was modifying some DLC which had custom dancers and stuff was seeing what I could do with it and when replacing the dancer image my game was crashing thought maybe there was more to that DLC that made it crash but if its happening with the base game...

Yeah, it is quite odd. Are you repacking images at all? Because that is where I think I am getting my problem here. I am trying to re-pack the song-select texture, but it always crashes the game. It might be due to the image being in a specific format that the repacker (a custom version of ctpktool) doesn't currently support, which happened quite a bit with the previous game. But I am not too sure on that yet. I need to do more testing to see if that is the issue.

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah, it is quite odd. Are you repacking images at all? Because that is where I think I am getting my problem here. I am trying to re-pack the song-select texture, but it always crashes the game. It might be due to the image being in a specific format that the repacker (a custom version of ctpktool) doesn't currently support, which happened quite a bit with the previous game. But I am not too sure on that yet. I need to do more testing to see if that is the issue.

The Song Title is a custom texture, 4 different files to be exact and they all seem to go back into the game fine.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE 6/19/16! More screens added and I also added a description for what "No Combo" mode is for people who are curious about it. Everything is still moving quickly! No luck on the .dat files, or the game-crashing Song-Select texture right now though. Hopefully they'll be fixed soon!

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
game-crashing Song-Select texture right now though. Hopefully they'll be fixed soon!

Mentioned SongSelect_Tail in a previous post? just tried to mess with that image to see if I could work out the problem just threw "Test" on a section of the image and repacked, seemed to work fine in-game.

gp1WP7vl.jpg

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Mentioned SongSelect_Tail in a previous post? just tried to mess with that image to see if I could work out the problem just threw "Test" on a section of the image and repacked, seemed to work fine in-game.

gp1WP7vl.jpg
Woah, really? Could you try to inject the translated file and see if it works? Link to file. Also, out of curiosity, what version of ctpktool and LZX are you using to repack your images?

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Great Video, glad to see the patch coming along :) got to love NTR!

Was taking a quick look at the .bin files found in script_b which I'm guessing is the story text? like the previous game? they still seem to be .lua files like the previous game but compiled so they can't be easily edited they seem to be LUA 5.3, most decompilers I can find are for 5.0 https://github.com/viruscamp/luadec can be built for 5.3, can't find a pre-compiled version to mess with.

Even if that does work who knows if we would need to re-compile after edits.

Seems like a long shot and I know there is no rush to translate story.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Great Video, glad to see the patch coming along :) got to love NTR!

Was taking a quick look at the .bin files found in script_b which I'm guessing is the story text? like the previous game? they still seem to be .lua files like the previous game but compiled so they can't be easily edited they seem to be LUA 5.3, most decompilers I can find are for 5.0 https://github.com/viruscamp/luadec can be built for 5.3, can't find a pre-compiled version to mess with.

Even if that does work who knows if we would need to re-compile after edits.

Seems like a long shot and I know there is no rush to translate story.
Yeah, NTR is an absolute god-send right now. But the patch is moving super fast, thankfully. Might be done this week so long as I don't run into any more image errors.

About the bin files though... The story is held in "_common/system/storytext/" actually. I am not too sure how it differs from script_b other than the fact that it is way more organized; script_b is an absolute mess to navigate, but it must have made sense to someone haha. It definitely does look like everything is coded in lua, though. Although, unlike the last game, the lua code is in .dat format instead of .lua format. I don't know if this makes editing easier or harder, but either way we might need some understanding of lua to edit some of the files. My major concern is editing the files vs recompiling them. I know that with some .dat files, you can go in and edit their hex data and replace the JP text, but you will be limited to the original text's size. So my guess, not knowing much about all of this, is that we would need to have some sort of program to allow us to not only edit the JP text, but properly recompile the .dat files once we're done. At least, that's what I gather from looking up "how to edit japanese dat file" into google. :D

Reactions: Lycan911

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great to see so much work done already! Should I be quick with the song title textures or can I take my time? Been busy with some stuff lately so I haven't started editing them yet, and even Zero Time Dilemma is coming out in a few days, so that will take most of my time when I get my hands on it. Would it be fine if I start when I finish ZTD (mid-July I suppose)?

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Great to see so much work done already! Should I be quick with the song title textures or can I take my time? Been busy with some stuff lately so I haven't started editing them yet, and even Zero Time Dilemma is coming out in a few days, so that will take most of my time when I get my hands on it. Would it be fine if I start when I finish ZTD (mid-July I suppose)?
Just take your time! The song titles can be added in a v1.1 release so no worries! I am trying to finish before ZTD consumes me too! :rofl:

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say that I'm very grateful that you're even doing this. I've been a fan of the Taiko no Tatsujin games for years now, and I've always found it exhausting to remember all the menus in all the different games.

I'm wondering if you're thinking about doing this for the Amazing Wii versions (Specifically the best TnT IMO, Wii 5)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over