Tutorial Clear 3DS Icon Cache (Useful for Universal Inject Generator users)

Was this Guide helpful to you?

• Total voters

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide assumes you have access to one or more of the following:
FBI 2.0 or higher
Godmode9 run via A9LH/B9S payload
A computer with an SD Card reader

---------------------------------

1. Load FBI 2.0 or higher
2. Scroll down and select Ext Save Data
3. USA: Select 000000000000008F
EUR: Select 0000000000000098
JPN: Select 0000000000000082
4. Select Browse User Save Data
5. Select "CacheD.dat" then delete and confirm with A, then close the dialog by pressing A again
6. Press power for about 1 second to get to the power off confirmation screen then power off
8. Turn the system back on
9. Once Home Menu Management data is created, select a theme if you had one, then set one via CHMM if you did so previously.

--------------------------------
If a file in use error occurs...
--------------------------------

If you have A9LH/B9S
you can use GodMode9 to delete the file from the SD Card yourself before the 3DS even boots the Home Menu (and locks CacheD.dat)
you can use GodMode9 to determine which <ID0> folder is the one you are using if you have more than one

----------------------------------------------------

If you want to find which <ID0> folder you are using, launch GodMode9 and go to SysNAND CTRNAND (EmuNAND CTRNAND if using EmuNAND)
1. Go to the data folder, the folder name will be the same as the <ID0> folder you are currently using

1. Launch GodMode9 and select SD Card (replace ** with correct name for the region)
2. Go into Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/extdata/00000000/000000**/00000000/ [USA = 8F][EUR = 98][JPN = 82]
3. Delete "00000005" (it should be around 5MB)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do not have A9LH/B9S, you can delete the cache file using a computer

if you have more than one <ID0> folder, it is safe to delete the cache from all of them to make sure you deleted the one needed.

you can also delete one at a time to find which <ID0> folder is yours by deleting the cache and booting the 3DS each time
If you get the Home Menu Management data message, it worked and you have found which <ID0> folder is in use

-------------------------------------------------

1. Put the SD Card into an SD Card reader on the computer
2. go into Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/extdata/00000000/000000**/00000000/ [USA = 8F][EUR = 98][JPN = 82]
3. Delete "00000005" (it should be around 5MB)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are done, if you injected a CIA into Health & Safety (Play Coin Setter for example), The Icon will change to the one that was injected

Last edited by driverdis,

Ev1lbl0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm currently having problem with my H&S app because I can't update my FBI. I dump the H&S, inject it normally with the latest commit of Universal Inject Generator, and when I'm going to inject with Dec9 (A9LH), it can't find my FBI_with_banner.app

So, does this guide fix this problem, or it's about a completely different matter? As far as I read, it restores the original icon of H&S

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've run into a similar issue, but in a different area: Friends List. It always shows Health and Safety as FBI on my N3DS.

Interestingly, when running Friends List on my N3DS, while it shows FBI locally, it shows Health and Safety on another system that's linked on my Friends List. So I'm guessing it's some local caching issue, but it's a different cache than what's used for the Home Menu.

Ev1lbl0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've run into a similar issue, but in a different area: Friends List. It always shows Health and Safety as FBI on my N3DS.

Interestingly, when running Friends List on my N3DS, while it shows FBI locally, it shows Health and Safety on another system that's linked on my Friends List. So I'm guessing it's some local caching issue, but it's a different cache than what's used for the Home Menu.

Well, with A9LH I can't brick anything, so might as well try xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, got the "File in use" error. Guess I have to download GodMode9. I heard I can brick my console even with A9lH with this. How can I do it so I know exactly what not to mess with?

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with A9LH I can't brick anything, so might as well try xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, got the "File in use" error. Guess I have to download GodMode9. I heard I can brick my console even with A9lH with this. How can I do it so I know exactly what not to mess with?

The file you are deleting is on the SD Card, so there is zero risk of brick doing this. GodMode9 (or a PC) is needed as the file is not in use when the SD card is in a computer or by using GodMode9 as it boots before the home menu.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

I'm wondering about this too, OCD at it's best...

I found it, delete idb.dat, idbt.dat in NAND Shared Extdata 0xf000000b does the trick for me
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata
make a backup before you pull the trigger though...

Last edited by JimmyZ,

Cyber Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I be able to restore my theme if I backed it up first, deleted the icon cache, then re-loaded my theme? Or would that re-load the cached icon too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over