ROM Hack [WIP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken - English Translation

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
english patch banner.png

(a.k.a "Taiko no Tatsujin: Don and Katsu's Spacetime Adventure" or "Taiko Drum Master: Adventures Through Time and Space")

So a little while ago, I was trying to get the Japanese banner for Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken to show up on my US emunand. I never did manage to get that done, but instead I did get a peek at the entire filesystem for the game. It was at that point that I realized how easy it would be to translate the game, given I had some help and had the right tools. Mostly everything was an image file, and the story text was contained in such a simple format. A close friend of mine was down to try to translate a game, and that's how this little project began.

Some people might wonder why we'd bother translating a rhythm game. Especially Taiko, which has quite the cult following in western audiences, despite the amount of Japanese used in the game. On the surface, it is a game very unwelcoming to people who have no knowledge of Japanese. Every little thing is in Japanese, with little to no English anywhere in sight. Yet, there are still people who play and enjoy the game since the rhythm bits defy any language barrier. Our goal, however was to break that language barrier down for those of us out there who can't seem to get past it. By just translating the menu for the game, we're opening up the quirky world of Taiko no Tatsujin to an audience of players who might not have been able to experience the game otherwise. This isn't to say that non-Japanese speaking people couldn't access Taiko before, since there was an english release back in the PS2 era, and there is the ever-popular computer game Osu! that allows people to scratch that Taiko itch. It is just that this is one of the first translation patches done on one of the Taiko console games, and to us that is pretty special.

Anyways, sentimental garbage aside, here is the information on the patch.

There are two patches. One is for the menu only, that is released already (see below for more information). The second is for the RPG mode that is included in the game. This is a lot more of a challenge due to the RPG mode involving a lot more than just editing some images, so a patch for that is a bit further down the line. It'll happen, just in a bit from now. Stay tuned!

The english menu patch, however, gives non-Japanese speakers everything they need to know to understand and play the main game. It also allows them to access each setting, customize their characters, and experience StreetPass like any English-released game would. Pretty sweet, if I do say so myself.

HOW TO PATCH THE GAME:
So, like I said above, there are two patches. Right now only the menu patch is available. If you want just the menu patch, keep reading. If you want the RPG mode too, wait a bit longer.

If you need verification of any MD5 Checksums, check below the patch tutorials for a spoiler containing all the MD5s for pretty much every file you're going to encounter.

ROMFS PATCH (FOR HANS AND MANUAL INJECTION):
  • First things first, obtain Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken in some way shape or form. You will need either a .3DS or .CIA file to proceed from here.
    • You cannot ask where to find the .3DS or .CIA file in this thread as that is against GBATemp rules. Please respect those rules.
  • Click HERE and follow the amazing guide provided by @Asia81 in order to obtain the necessary file you will need to apply the English patch.
  • The guide above will require you to DECRYPT either a .3DS or .CIA file.
  • The key file you will need once you decrypt and extract the rom files will be named "DecryptedROMFS.bin"
  • Once you have obtained the DecryptedROMFS.bin file, download the HANS patch below.
  • Place your DecryptedROMFS.bin in the patch directory and run the appropriate file for your operating system.
  • Once the patcher is finished, you will have a new file called "fullpatch v1.1_romfs.bin" in the patch directory. This is the English patched filesystem.
    • For HANS users, rename this file to "00102F00.romfs" and place it in the HANS directory on your SD card. Copy over the HomeBrew Launcher custom shortcut from the HANS Patch folder to launch the game directly from your homebrew launcher of choice.
    • For people who wish to rebuild their own .3DS file or .CIA file, head back to @Asia81's guide linked above to figure out how to do that. It is relatively simple.
    • For more details on CIA installation, see below.
.CIA PATCH (FOR INSTALLATION OR CONVERSION TO A .3DS FILE):
  • First things first, obtain the Japanese, untouched CIA of Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken in some way shape or form.
  • Download the CIA Patch from below.
  • Rename your CIA file to "Taiko no Tatsujin Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken (JPN) (RF).cia" and place it in the patch directory. Run the appropriate file for your operating system to patch the CIA.
  • Once the patcher is finished, you will have a new file called "TDM_EnglishMenuPatch_v1.1.cia" in the patch directory.
  • IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE JAPANESE VERSION OF THE GAME INSTALLED AND WISH TO KEEP YOUR SAVE DATA, BACK IT UP NOW USING YOUR SAVE DATA MANAGER OF CHOICE (I prefer JK's Save Manager). INSTALLING THE ENGLISH PATCHED CIA WILL REMOVE YOUR SAVE DATA. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
  • You can now move this CIA over to your SD card and install it with your package manager of choice (BBM, DevMenu, FBI, etc.)
  • Once the game has finished installing, restore your backed up Save Data if you had the game installed prior to the english patch.
    • In order for JK's Save Manager to restore your saved data, you need to open the game at least once so it can write the necessary data to the SD card. If you don't do this, JK's Save Manager will give you an error about not being able to read the SaveArch.
LAYEREDFS (FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS A PURE NTR EXPERIENCE):

This is a more complicated method, but it's here if people truly want it. This is a more efficient method for me and the team, since we don't have to recompile a ROMFS file each time we want to test out something new, but like I said, it's here if anyone wants it.

• Follow all the right steps highlighted in the ROMFS Patch tutorial above.
  • Once you have your newly translated "fullpatch v1.1_romfs.bin," you are going to want to unpack the file using the "RFSE" command while running @Asia81's HackPack.
  • A new window will pop up prompting you to select a .romfs/.bin file. Select the "fullpatch v1.1_romfs.bin" file and click GO to begin unpacking it.
  • You should then get a folder with the contents of "romfs_firstpatchrelease.bin" in it.
  • Download the LayeredFS plugin from below and extract it's contents to the ROOT of your SD card.
  • Now copy the contents of your extracted "romfs_firstpatchrelease.bin" to the "0004000000102F00" on the root of your SD card. The "0004000000102F00" folder is being seen AS the romfs file, so any small file updates can be placed there and NTR will substitute the in-game files with the files it finds within this folder.
  • Run NTR on your 3DS to see the changes. If you don't see anything, go back to your SD card and make sure you have the contents of your extracted ROMFS in the right place.
  • ALSO KEEP NOTE THAT THE LAYEREDFS PLUGIN IS ONLY FOR USERS WHO HAVE INSTALLED THE 1.20 OFFICIAL UPDATE TO THEIR GAME. You can find this update on that ISO website.
FOR DIRTY PIRATES:
I cannot guarantee this, but I am sure if you are patient enough and know how to access a certain ISO site you will be able to find both pre-patched .CIA and .3DS files. I know nothing more and nothing less about this, and it is not up for further discussion.

MD5 CHECKSUMS (FOR CONFIRMATION/REFERENCE):
UNTOUCHED .CIA MD5: 264f0440b5ee1f47abc35ab5d3116664
DECRYPTED .CIA MD5: d7df966a178773c81b40f778ddd6f547
TDM_EnglishMenuPatch.cia MD5: 3e0cd301ec675753c4ab9b9aac2f0e21
TDM_EnglishMenuPatch_v1.1.cia MD5: 91218f589861d8a6993b8189dc71ebd8
TDM_EnglishMenuPatch.3ds MD5: 2696443d8c419883822742540bce96fa
TDM_EnglishMenuPatch_v1.1.3ds MD5: 6d7640a09905934853a6a57a893b3c07
DecryptedROMFS.bin MD5: fb2c87dc021ccdef4cccae1db7e6b7b3
romfs_firstpatchrelease.bin MD5: 2f1f5aa35c08337ee29c3368eb913f89
fullpatch v1.1_romfs.bin MD5: 9bebd09d307dc4a2db1cbe94a6fcc16c

HOW TO APPLY PATCH UPDATES TO A PRE-PATCHED FILE:

UPGRADING FROM 1.0 TO 1.1 (CIA VERSION)

• Download the "1.0 -> 1.1 (Incremental)" patch from below.
  • Place your version 1.0 CIA (TDM_EnglishMenuPatch.cia) in the patch directory and run the patcher.
  • You should get a new file called "TDM_EnglishMenuPatch_v1.1.cia
  • Copy the CIA file to your SD card for installation.
  • Before installation, BACK UP YOUR SAVE DATA using JK's Save Manager or any other preferred save data management tool.
    • YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA UPON INSTALLING THE NEW PATCH. IF YOU DON'T BACK UP AND RESTORE YOUR DATA, YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING. BACKUP YOUR SAVE DATA!
  • Once your save data is backed up, proceed to install the updated CIA with the package installer of your choice.
    • FBI is recommended since it will overwrite the previous installation, unlike DevMenu, which will just spit out an error and make you uninstall the previous installation manually.
  • Once the new CIA has been installed, go to your home menu. You should now see the English Banner and the English title on top of the game.
    • IF THE ENGLISH BANNER ISN'T SHOWING, you will have to completely delete the game before installing the new version. This way, the system will be able to refresh the icon cache and stuff, therefore displaying the new icon/banner information.
UPGRADING FROM 1.0 TO 1.1 (ROMFS VERSION)
  • Download the "1.0 -> 1.1 (Incremental)" patch from below.
  • Place your 1.0 ROMFS (romfs_firstpatchrelease.bin) in the patch directory and run the patcher.
  • You should get a new file called "fullpatch v1.1_romfs.bin"
    • For HANS users, rename this file to "00102F00.romfs" and place it in the HANS directory on your SD card. Copy over the HomeBrew Launcher custom shortcut from the HANS Patch folder to launch the game directly from your homebrew launcher of choice.
"WHAT ABOUT THE DLC?"
The DLC is currently being worked on. There is no ETA on a patch for it, but it will be translated at some point in the near future. Please understand that the DLC takes a bit more time to translate due to it being in special file containers and whatnot.

LOADING THE DLC VIA NTR CFW:

• Download the latest version of NTR CFW for your device. You'll need both the CIA launcher (from Shadowtrance) and the latest NTR.bin file. You can find these on your own. The search bar and Google are very knowledgeable!
  • Download the langemu_jp.plg from this post.
  • Download and install the DLC from wherever you manage to find it. (Hint: that iso site...)
  • Make a "plugins" directory on the ROOT of your SD card.
  • Inside /plugins/ make a directory titled "0004000000102F00".
  • Place the langemu_jp.plg in the /plugins/0004000000102F00/ folder.
  • Boot your 3DS and launch NTR CFW (assuming you installed it correctly, it will boot back to the home menu automatically).
  • Launch Taiko from the home menu.
  • Enjoy the not-yet-translated DLC songs!
LOADING THE DLC NATIVELY VIA LUMA3DS:
Oh that's right. You read that correctly. You can now load the DLC without NTR by using Luma3DS! It is a new feature introduced quite recently that is pretty damned awesome. You have @Aurora Wright and @TuxSH to thank for getting this working! This is the recommended method, as it requires little to no work on the end-users end, plus it always works, unlike NTR which can fail to boot and requires special FIRMs.
  • Download the latest version of Luma3DS.
  • Once installed (read the Wiki for instructions/help), hold SELECT while booting Luma3DS to enter the configuration menu.
  • Check "Enable Region/Language Emulation" in the settings menu.
  • Make a new folder called "locales" inside the /luma/ folder, which should be on the ROOT of your SD card.
  • Make a new text document and title it "0004000000102F00.txt". Inside that file, type "JPN JP". Save the text file.
  • Download and install the DLC from wherever you manage to find it.
  • Boot into Luma3DS from your entry point of choice (I personally recommend A9LH, but it isn't necessary).
  • Launch Taiko from the home menu.
  • Enjoy the not-yet-translated DLC songs!

"SO, HOW MUCH IS TRANSLATED?":
Key: Green = Translated & Red = Untranslated
  • Warning splash
  • Loading Icon
  • File select
  • Logo
  • All buttons and their actions
  • Main Menu
  • Main Game
    • Song select
      • Categories
      • Song titles
      • Difficulty select
    • Rhythm game options
      • Drum sounds
      • Performance Options
      • Descriptions
  • Story Mode
  • Costumes
    • Tabs (Color/Head/Body)
    • Item descriptions
  • Stamp Book Menu
  • Street Pass Menu
    • My File (creating/editing your file)Send a challenge
    • Send a party member
    • Select a pose
    • Write a comment
    • Donder-list (list of passed players)
    • Street-Pass ON/OFF
  • DLC Menu
  • Multiplayer Menu
    • Hosting a game
    • Joining a game
    • General information on Multiplayer
  • Settings Menu
    • Control Type
    • Tutorial
    • QR Code Scanner
    • Name Change
    • Spot-Pass Settings
    • Receive Gifts Option
    • Delete Data

:toot: DOWNLOADS :toot::
ROMFS English Menu Patch Version 1.1
ROMFS English Menu Patch Version 1.0 -> 1.1 (Incremental Patch)
.CIA English Menu Patch Version 1.1
.CIA English Menu Patch Version 1.0 -> 1.1 (Incremental Patch)
JP Banner Patch for all regions (CIA) ~ Thanks to @gl1mml1ng
LayeredFS Plugin (FOR GAME VERSION 1.20)
1.1 - Second release, song titles fully translated, banner translated, minor fixes.
1.0 - First release, menu fully translated.

SCREENSHOTS & VIDEOS:
2/15/16: Here is a video of the basic menu patch in action running through HANS![/SIZE]

2/15/16: Another video similar to the last, just with fixed graphics. Running through HANS!

2/16/16: Another video showcasing the newly translated song-select menu. Running through HANS!

2/17/16*: Another menu showcasing the streetpass menu and the delete data menu. Running through HANS!

3/3/16: Screenshots galore! Patch running through HANS, Screens taken via NTR!
LOzkfVw.png
m9SxMUk.png
lzN15np.png
V8rq6tt.png
elefCUc.png
u7dhYHE.png
3/3/16: More screenshots! We broke some stuff and fixed some stuff, and now most stuff is good to go, except for the tutorial screen. But that is what we are working on right now, so no worries!
tIRpGxf.png
pNbSNPN.png
RSqjmRd.png
C3AsWC4.png
VRQBlIg.png
3/8/16: Full English Menu Patch Release Video~!

4/21/16: JP DLC Loading NATIVELY through Luma3DS!

4/21/16: English Menu Patch v1.1 Screen Shots!
WbhxM0e.png
OqLVB2H.png
0Vmgsrh.png

FAQ:
Q:
The game is telling me an update is available! Is that right?
A: Yes, this is normal. There is an update available that brings the game to version 1.20. It is available on that ISO site.

Q: Is this compatible with the DLC?
A: Yes! The DLC menu, however, is not translated yet. You can find the DLC on that ISO site.

Q: Does Multiplayer work?
A: I personally have not gotten it to work, as I am unsure if you can get out-of-region games to work in multiplayer. But your mileage may vary. If it works, let us know!

Q: Is the banner fixed?
A: Nope. But I'll work on it soon. Now it is thanks to @gl1mml1ng! It's translated now, too!

Q: Does this work on "X" CFW with "X" EmuNAND on "X" Region?
A: This should work on all CFW's, on any FW version and on any region. I personally recommend Luma3DS.

BONUS STUFF:

"TEAM フルコンボ!" INFO (AS OF RIGHT NOW)
@tiduscrying - Me, Graphics
@shiduyo - Japanese translation
@Zander1995 - Additional Graphics
@NikolaMiljevic - Translated Song Titles

Special thanks to @zzzzzzzzzzz for the info on .txp files. Seriously. The project wouldn't have gotten past mockups if it weren't for you, so thank you.
More special thanks to @Nagato for ctpktool and helping me with the problems we were running into with the ctpk images. It's thanks to you and your tool that this patch is going to be released!

Last edited by tiduscrying,

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be great! I've been playing Taiko no Tatsujin for so long, and I'd love to see a translation for this one.

Sadly, I'm not very knowledgable in 3ds hacking, and though I can help with translation and image editing, I think you have that covered.

Good luck to you, though! I'd really like to see this work out!

zzzzzzzzzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the LZX application in this tool to deal with the LZ11 compression.
After you're done editing an image, just repack it into a CTPK with the ctpktool, recompress it with LZ11, and replace the txp file.
rfVwZVO.jpg
The bigger problem with a translation project is the font. It cannot fit nearly enough text on screen the way that it is now, but if this is just for a menu patch that shouldn't be much of a problem.
fu7kJje.jpg

Reactions: tiduscrying

Nucleoid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend (a huge Taiko no Tatsujin fan) showed me this. Hope it can turn out well. I'd like to help, but I'm also not familiar with .txp files. From what I understand, you decompressed all the .txp files to get the images in PNG form, but aren't sure how to recompress them back into .txp files. I'll see if I can find out how to do-

After you're done editing an image, just repack it into a CTPK with the ctpktool, recompress it with LZ11, and replace the txp file.

Oh. This was posted while I was writing my message. Well, that's pretty much what I was thinking you needed to do. If you want to eventually do more than just the menu, I might help do either graphic editing or maybe even some translations, if I have time or the skill for what is needed to be done. My Japanese isn't that good but I can try. I do however know much better French, so if I had an English version I could possibly help do a translation. Good luck!

Reactions: tiduscrying

shiduyo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
A buddy of mine who knows Japanese is offering to help translate the story, but that is something that might come further down the line once we know more about rom-hacking and about the files of the game. Technically, we could do the bulk of the translating and graphics just us two, but we'd need some serious help as far as the code end of things goes.

Hello yes, I'm the buddy. I'm definitely counting on doing the story mode if we can. Plus all the menu descriptions, attachments, etc. text we can do.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
rfVwZVO.jpg
The bigger problem with a translation project is the font. It cannot fit nearly enough text on screen the way that it is now, but if this is just for a menu patch that shouldn't be much of a problem.
fu7kJje.jpg

Man, thank you so much for posting the information on the .txp files. They were really beginning to get on my nerves because I felt like I was getting somewhere with what I was doing, but I just didn't know what to do to get everything back in place, haha. But seriously, thank you for the information.

The text will definitely be an issue as far as the story editing goes. I am still locating those files and figuring out how to edit them, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

My friend (a huge Taiko no Tatsujin fan) showed me this. Hope it can turn out well. I'd like to help, but I'm also not familiar with .txp files. From what I understand, you decompressed all the .txp files to get the images in PNG form, but aren't sure how to recompress them back into .txp files. I'll see if I can find out how to do-

Oh. This was posted while I was writing my message. Well, that's pretty much what I was thinking you needed to do. If you want to eventually do more than just the menu, I might help do either graphic editing or maybe even some translations, if I have time or the skill for what is needed to be done. My Japanese isn't that good but I can try. I do however know much better French, so if I had an English version I could possibly help do a translation. Good luck!

Hey I mean if the project ends up being successful, hopefully that would mean we could further translate it into french and everything. That would honestly be incredible. The goal of this project for me, personally, is to let as many people as possible enjoy the weird goodness that is Taiko. I've never played such a game and I don't want the Japanese menus to deter people from trying the game out, you know? And if we get to translating the story fully, that will be even better since I am pretty sure we'd never get this state-side anyways. We all remember Taiko PS2...

But @Sliter and @RandomKid150, thank you both for offering some help! Comparing interpretations of the text and everything would be great, and having more graphics editors will come in handy if the files become too much for me personally.

Overall, I am super confident about this! This will hopefully be one of the first Taiko translations that ever successfully came into fruition, so that feels pretty special too! ^_^

Reactions: RandomKid150

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ok! I have some projectsto work in but I wnat to help as I can xD I don't have diea how much graphivs taiko have but if I could at leats translate the logo would be someting, right? ówo

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, this is looking REALLY promising. I've always wanted to translate a Taiko Drum Master game but it always seemed kinda daunting. No worries - I don't plan on going near 3DS translation; it seems pretty daunting (that and I'm not sure how image compression works and what have you; are alpha channels needed? etc. etc) Translating the menu images is actually how I got my start into romhacking too!

Now, I'm curious - the font face you're using: what is that font? It's so incredibly spot-on!
(I wasn't sure if it uses a Unicode font and you're just changing hex values here, and they just seem to work, or legitimately drafting up new images via Photoshop)

Anyway yeah, good luck on this project! I'd offer my services but I'm too much of an old fogey that I'm not sure if my experience with DS romhacking would even be practical here (it sounds completely different now)

ONE MORE THING: Are you planning on translating the little text underneath the drum notes (DON DO~N DO~~~N)?

Last edited by kosheh,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1