ROM Hack [WIP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure! - English Translation

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
In the video you mention leaving DLC Song Name translations till last, tempted to do them myself each time new DLC hits just so its not a mass of doing them all at once at the end, I mean I've already got the DLC Unpacked and can Repack it! feel like I should do something with it!

Don't want to take from what @NikolaMiljevic is doing though.

At the end of the day I believe a DLC Patch could only be uploaded on that "iso" site, I don't believe NTR LayeredFS works \on DLC? and not exactly a ROMFS you can patch with XDelta or something.

One of these days I will spend more time playing this series then messing with its files...

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the video you mention leaving DLC Song Name translations till last, tempted to do them myself each time new DLC hits just so its not a mass of doing them all at once at the end, I mean I've already got the DLC Unpacked and can Repack it! feel like I should do something with it!

At the end of the day I believe a DLC Patch could only be uploaded on that "iso" site, I don't believe NTR LayeredFS works \on DLC? and not exactly a ROMFS you can patch with XDelta or something.

One of these days I will spend more time playing this series then messing with its files...
Feel free to translate the DLC songs, I'm fine with doing only the vanilla textures, as there are a looot of them even without the DLC haha

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say that I'm very grateful that you're even doing this. I've been a fan of the Taiko no Tatsujin games for years now, and I've always found it exhausting to remember all the menus in all the different games.

I'm wondering if you're thinking about doing this for the Amazing Wii versions (Specifically the best TnT IMO, Wii 5)?
Thanks for the support! It makes me feel good to know that people out there are going to benefit from this patch! :D

As for TnT 5, it is something I would most certainly like to work on, along with the Wii U titles, but I don't have any experience with Wii game-hacking. I have all 5 of the Wii releases and everything, I just wouldn't quite know where to start as far as unbuilding them and poking around at their files. It is definitely a possibility in the future!

I have plans to release the main patch as an Xdelta patch to use on the ROMFS, .3DS, or .CIA file, so having xdelta patches for the DLC would be no biggie. We'd just have to get into that grey area of releasing a patch for known "downloaded" material. I do have plans to make release threads on certain websites and I would like to support the DLC, but I guess that is something we shouldn't exactly discuss here on GBATemp! But so long as @NikolaMiljevic is alright with you working on the DLC textures, feel free! And find some time to play the game, too! It's pretty great! I love the song-list so far. I just wish that the Vocaloid list was as strong as it was in Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken. But hopefully the DLC will remedy that, aha.

Aaaand, Update 6/22/16: Added more images to the OP! Story mode in action! I still need to translate the encounter-specific things, but other than that and the camp menu and shop menu, it is almost done. For the normal mode, I need to translate the rest of the settings and start on street-pass, but that stuff shouldn't take long at all! :D

Reactions: Lycan911

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Feel free to translate the DLC songs, I'm fine with doing only the vanilla textures, as there are a looot of them even without the DLC haha

Haha, very true, after messing with translating 6 so far its been a pain let alone the main game where I imagine all song titles are on the one texture.

Thanks for the support! It makes me feel good to know that people out there are going to benefit from this patch! :D

As for TnT 5, it is something I would most certainly like to work on, along with the Wii U titles, but I don't have any experience with Wii game-hacking. I have all 5 of the Wii releases and everything, I just wouldn't quite know where to start as far as unbuilding them and poking around at their files. It is definitely a possibility in the future!

I know with the Dolphin Emulator its easy enough to open up the file system and extract files but no clue how to go about injecting again, almost would be nice just to see a translation patch for the emulator since you can have it load external textures, PSP Emulator recently started to support this also, messed with the menus a little there but Taiko is already niche let alone people using an emulator to play them.

I have plans to release the main patch as an Xdelta patch to use on the ROMFS, .3DS, or .CIA file, so having xdelta patches for the DLC would be no biggie. We'd just have to get into that grey area of releasing a patch for known "downloaded" material. I do have plans to make release threads on certain websites and I would like to support the DLC, but I guess that is something we shouldn't exactly discuss here on GBATemp! But so long as @NikolaMiljevic is alright with you working on the DLC textures, feel free! And find some time to play the game, too! It's pretty great! I love the song-list so far. I just wish that the Vocaloid list was as strong as it was in Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken. But hopefully the DLC will remedy that, aha.

Never made an XDelta patch myself but guess it could be done on the CIA :) as for the Vocaloid list I could bring over Don to Katsu ;) but might be best to see what happens with all the DLC :P

Started work on the DLC Song Titles, not sure I'm happy with what I've got so far >.< fitting English text over Japanese characters is a pain! so far they all seem too small even if they are readable, might have to toy with the textures further.

Each texture file is a different dimension per song, so far the odd one or two I can get the text a nice size and fit the song title, where as others are coming out tiny to fit a smaller title! will have to see if I can change the dimensions and always use a texture that gives me more space to work with.

Screenshots!?
o2cs1cE.png
HQLjHoc.png
8bHTp45.png

FakzgoS.png
j661LLD.png
tsuKRYw.png

Mnk4M01.png

Reactions: tiduscrying

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
fitting English text over Japanese characters is a pain!
The joy of being a translator ;)

Just try changing the width of the text and spacing between characters until you get it right, it's not hard once you get the hang of it. Also, if you want to cheat a little, you can rasterize the text layer and use "Free Transform" to make it fit over the Japanese text. Good luck!

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Haha, very true, after messing with translating 6 so far its been a pain let alone the main game where I imagine all song titles are on the one texture.

I know with the Dolphin Emulator its easy enough to open up the file system and extract files but no clue how to go about injecting again, almost would be nice just to see a translation patch for the emulator since you can have it load external textures, PSP Emulator recently started to support this also, messed with the menus a little there but Taiko is already niche let alone people using an emulator to play them.

Never made an XDelta patch myself but guess it could be done on the CIA :) as for the Vocaloid list I could bring over Don to Katsu ;) but might be best to see what happens with all the DLC :P

Started work on the DLC Song Titles, not sure I'm happy with what I've got so far >.< fitting English text over Japanese characters is a pain! so far they all seem too small even if they are readable, might have to toy with the textures further.

Each texture file is a different dimension per song, so far the odd one or two I can get the text a nice size and fit the song title, where as others are coming out tiny to fit a smaller title! will have to see if I can change the dimensions and always use a texture that gives me more space to work with.

Screenshots!?
o2cs1cE.png
HQLjHoc.png
8bHTp45.png

FakzgoS.png
j661LLD.png
tsuKRYw.png

Mnk4M01.png
Hmm, Dolphin supporting external graphics might be something worth looking into... Same goes for PPSSPP, but I think for Taiko DX, I'd rather patch the game for use on normal PSPs, too (that one is probably my favorite in the franchise since it was my first time experiencing TnT).

But yeah! Xdelta patches are the way to go for sure. Is that how you are getting the DLC song names to show up? Or are they showing up in LayeredFS?

Translating the song titles can be a pain, but the "character" window in Photoshop is your friend! Adjusting letter width, height and spacing is the only way I manage to get most large things to fit. Even though stuff ends up looking a little squished, it work more or less. If only we could overwrite the amount of space we are allowed for the song titles, we wouldn't have to mess with them much, but unfortunately I am not too sure on how we'd do that. That probably lies deeper in the game's code. But nice work so far!

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the consideration! As far as I'm aware from way back when, I dabbled in Super Smash Bros Brawl hacking on Dolphin. I used a program called "WiiScrubber" which allows you to extract specific files from disc images (.iso) and view the file branches in the disc (.iso) as well. Replacing files with modified files is also a feature IIRC.

Here's a link to the program (Pretty sure it's fine).
http://www.mediafire.com/download/xmni4nsxmjxtkht/WiiScrubber1.4.zip

Before you use it, I should note it only works with .ISO images, and before you use it, you have to run MakeKeyBin and enter 42 so it creates the files needed to run properly. This is all I can think of to do. There's also Riivolution, but all I know is it patches physical discs on the fly and I don't know how it works at all. So I can't help with that, but it's worth looking into.

Good luck, and thanks again! Hope this opened up some ideas for the Wii games being translated.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
6/27/16: Patch version 0.9 RELEASED! :toot:
This is the first in a series of patches. The reason it isn't version 1.0 is because there are a few behind the scenes things that I am trying to test right now. They are minor changes, such as translating the multiplayer menu, but they depend on some further testing.

One thing to note is that there is still a lot to do! If this is going to get a full patch, I still need to figure out the .dat files that are holding all the data for the story, party members, items, and everything else I couldn't edit as an image file alone! We also need help designing an english logo! So fellow design-savy GBATempers out there, feel free to give it a shot! In order for the logo to work, it has to fit within the space of the original Japanese one. So be conscious of how much space you have to work with! The logo will be attached to this post for people to take a crack at if they'd like.

Please feel free to report any bugs (or things that look like bugs) to me via a PM or here via the comments. There is also a Taiko no Tatsujin Translation Group discord now. The link is available upon request!

Enjoy everyone! Hopefully version 1.0 isn't too far off!

Attachments

• title_ch.png
    title_ch.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 591

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
WIP
cc4b10d482.png

edit: updated
That looks pretty damned good! With some cleaning up, it'll look official! Awesome job!

In unrelated news, I have an awesome thing to share with you guys! @dasding was kind enough to lend us a hand by making some scripts to help us edit the .dat files, and well, now we have english text! And it isn't broken or anything! This is BIG! Huge! Take a look for yourselves, everyone!

lg8SiLY.png
tgyZx77.png
wbzsC7D.png
rEl55sE.png

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have an awesome thing to share with you guys! @dasding was kind enough to lend us a hand by making some scripts to help us edit the .dat files, and well, now we have english text! And it isn't broken or anything! This is BIG! Huge! Take a look for yourselves, everyone!

Awesome! @dasding is the man, already put together some great scripts for Monster Hunter now for this!

Hope the story can be translated this time round :) each time I see the RPG side of the game I want to play it and I imagine I could navigate through it as is now but I would like to know what is going on no matter how silly it must be :P

dasding

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by dasding,

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Glad i could help out :D
Hope the translation will progess nicely, would love to play the RPG mode^^

Edit:

Also a bit unrelated, but i stumbled upon all the QR codes of the game.
So i uploaded them for you to scan. I think the last one even unlocked a song ;)

https://mega.nz/#!O0NhxC5S!AhPLxe2ngUf2YPxqxY4PAwwo1rC4knlMLeRFgSM8qAs
Awesome! They all unlock a bunch of RPG-mode party members, a few costumes and the Namco Medley! Thanks for finding them and sharing them, man! :grog:

Made a video just showing the english text and rambling on a bit. Enjoy! I promise one day I'll get a proper tripod and lighting setup...

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm, Dolphin supporting external graphics might be something worth looking into... Same goes for PPSSPP, but I think for Taiko DX, I'd rather patch the game for use on normal PSPs, too (that one is probably my favorite in the franchise since it was my first time experiencing TnT).

But yeah! Xdelta patches are the way to go for sure. Is that how you are getting the DLC song names to show up? Or are they showing up in LayeredFS?

External Graphics is nice but I know at least with PPSSPP Rhythm games just don't feel right, is a delay that almost makes them unplayable, I tried Taiko DX quickly and just felt off, I've no clue if Dolphin fairs any better, I think it does? I recall trying it quickly but spent more time messing with Taiko DX.

I'm rebuilding the DLC CIA file each time I edit a DLC Song Name, I don't think LayeredFS supports DLC, pretty sure I tried it with the previous Taiko game.

Now back to the Wii... I had a quick look at Taiko 5 (Chou Gouka Han) and it seems files found in the 'texture' folder are using the same LZ Compression the 3DS games have been using, the texture files in the 'texture' folder are .ctpl which is just a .tpl file renamed, they can be decoded into .png using wimgt (Wiimms Image Tool) the tool can encode back .tpl I believe but not tried it.

Next up in the 'lm' folder we have various .clma files which are LZ Compressed, U8 Encoded .szs files we can extract these using wszst (Wiimms SZS Tool) same tool set as wimgt, in these .clma seem to be a .lm which I've no idea about but more importantly more .tlp files, these .tlp files seem to be more UI Related as I found the Main Menu stuff here where as the 'texture' folder seemed to hold mostly the song names, again this tool should be able to encode back to .clma after modifications.

Thought I'd get this information down some where since the Wii game was mentioned here, any previous thread I found on the Wii Files seemed unknown, I don't know if the tools to edit these files just weren't around at the time or there was just a lack of interest.

I might take a crack at the Main Menu based on the translated 3DS one just to see if getting a modified file into an .ISO is possible, hopefully that all made some sort of sense, wanted to make sure I got the info down for anyone curious.

Also a bit unrelated, but i stumbled upon all the QR codes of the game.
So i uploaded them for you to scan. I think the last one even unlocked a song ;)

Awesome, I saw the Reddit post :) took awhile to scan all 58 but my Don is now rocking a Halloween costume.

Made a video just showing the english text and rambling on a bit. Enjoy!

Ooo English Text, looks nice! you mention the text working better in this game then the previous and you mentioned in another post that maybe the 'nnfont_RectDrawerShader.shbin' held that info, any chance its a simple copy from Taiko 3 to Taiko 2?

What exactly is broken with Multiplayer? Does the game do online? is it local only? is there download play?

Edit:
Ok... Gave Multiplayer a quick test and guess it just refuse to create a lobby.

Messed with the Wii some more ;)

diQpHRDl.png

Even though that is running on Dolphin I injected the changed files into the ISO with WiiScrubber so don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the console itself.

Ended up using a tool called BrawlBox to edit the .tlp files since it has a GUI its just easier to replace the textures with then wimgt.

So in short... seems possible to at least make a menu translation for the Wii titles! unfortunately I can't translate at all :P

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
External Graphics is nice but I know at least with PPSSPP Rhythm games just don't feel right, is a delay that almost makes them unplayable, I tried Taiko DX quickly and just felt off, I've no clue if Dolphin fairs any better, I think it does? I recall trying it quickly but spent more time messing with Taiko DX.

I'm rebuilding the DLC CIA file each time I edit a DLC Song Name, I don't think LayeredFS supports DLC, pretty sure I tried it with the previous Taiko game.

Now back to the Wii... I had a quick look at Taiko 5 (Chou Gouka Han) and it seems files found in the 'texture' folder are using the same LZ Compression the 3DS games have been using, the texture files in the 'texture' folder are .ctpl which is just a .tpl file renamed, they can be decoded into .png using wimgt (Wiimms Image Tool) the tool can encode back .tpl I believe but not tried it.

Next up in the 'lm' folder we have various .clma files which are LZ Compressed, U8 Encoded .szs files we can extract these using wszst (Wiimms SZS Tool) same tool set as wimgt, in these .clma seem to be a .lm which I've no idea about but more importantly more .tlp files, these .tlp files seem to be more UI Related as I found the Main Menu stuff here where as the 'texture' folder seemed to hold mostly the song names, again this tool should be able to encode back to .clma after modifications.

Thought I'd get this information down some where since the Wii game was mentioned here, any previous thread I found on the Wii Files seemed unknown, I don't know if the tools to edit these files just weren't around at the time or there was just a lack of interest.

I might take a crack at the Main Menu based on the translated 3DS one just to see if getting a modified file into an .ISO is possible, hopefully that all made some sort of sense, wanted to make sure I got the info down for anyone curious.

Awesome, I saw the Reddit post :) took awhile to scan all 58 but my Don is now rocking a Halloween costume.

Ooo English Text, looks nice! you mention the text working better in this game then the previous and you mentioned in another post that maybe the 'nnfont_RectDrawerShader.shbin' held that info, any chance its a simple copy from Taiko 3 to Taiko 2?

What exactly is broken with Multiplayer? Does the game do online? is it local only? is there download play?

Edit:
Ok... Gave Multiplayer a quick test and guess it just refuse to create a lobby.

Messed with the Wii some more ;)

diQpHRDl.png

Even though that is running on Dolphin I injected the changed files into the ISO with WiiScrubber so don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the console itself.

Ended up using a tool called BrawlBox to edit the .tlp files since it has a GUI its just easier to replace the textures with then wimgt.

So in short... seems possible to at least make a menu translation for the Wii titles! unfortunately I can't translate at all :P
Hmm, I know that the DLC does have a different ID, so we might actually be able to make a layeredFS plugin for it, but I've never tried it :P

That is interesting about all of the Wii file types. I was searching around and found that someone wanted to translate the game back last year, but they didn't get far due to them not knowing what to do with the files and not having much of a team. It is good knowing how to edit the files though, and it is nice to see them in action with dolphin! I'll probably take a crack at them eventually as well, but any patches or anything like that probably won't happen until this game has been worked on a little bit more.

But yes! Thanks to my new lord and savior, @dasding, the text is looking pretty damned fine! I am so glad we've got it working! @shiduyo just translated all the character names and is taking a peek at the story files for the prologue, so hopefully we'll have some more screens from RPG mode to show. In the meantime, I am going to take a crack at translating the story mode's system messages (loading, saving, etc.) and some of the other graphics files that I didn't finish for 0.9.

I haven't tried swapping out the font files between taiko2 and 3, but that might work... I feel like the discoveries we've made with 3 will definitely help 2's patch mature in the future once we can get back to working on it.

One thing I'd really like to figure out is how to get the ad-hoc multiplayer to work! I don't know much about what I would need to do, but maybe the reason for it not working is because of how the game was dumped perhaps? I am not sure. I know when I repacked the .CIA, I made sure to repack it with the multiplayer portion in-tact (I used the latest version of Asia81's hackpack that allows for repacking with the manual and multiplayer in-tact). I just don't know if there was another step I might have missed or something. But hopefully it is something we can figure out soon. :yay3ds:

Last edited by tiduscrying,

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm, I know that the DLC does have a different ID, so we might actually be able to make a layeredFS plugin for it, but I've never tried it :P

That is interesting about all of the Wii file types. I was searching around and found that someone wanted to translate the game back last year, but they didn't get far due to them not knowing what to do with the files and not having much of a team. It is good knowing how to edit the files though, and it is nice to see them in action with dolphin! I'll probably take a crack at them eventually as well, but any patches or anything like that probably won't happen until this game has been worked on a little bit more.

But yes! Thanks to my new lord and savior, @dasding, the text is looking pretty damned fine! I am so glad we've got it working! @shiduyo just translated all the character names and is taking a peek at the story files for the prologue, so hopefully we'll have some more screens from RPG mode to show. In the meantime, I am going to take a crack at translating the story mode's system messages (loading, saving, etc.) and some of the other graphics files that I didn't finish for 0.9.

I haven't tried swapping out the font files between taiko2 and 3, but that might work... I feel like the discoveries we've made with 3 will definitely help 2's patch mature in the future once we can get back to working on it.

One thing I'd really like to figure out is how to get the ad-hoc multiplayer to work! I don't know much about what I would need to do, but maybe the reason for it not working is because of how the game was dumped perhaps? I am not sure. I know when I repacked the .CIA, I made sure to repack it with the multiplayer portion in-tact (I used the latest version of Asia81's hackpack that allows for repacking with the manual and multiplayer in-tact). I just don't know if there was another step I might have missed or something. But hopefully it is something we can figure out soon. :yay3ds:

I feel like the other night I ended up reading that LayeredFS can only be triggered once, when I was testing Taiko 2 with its DLC ID I also had the plugin running on the main ID, I've installed the English CIA at this point anyway so I have no huge use for the plugin other than to test files, might see if can do a DLC Plugin.

100% keep working on this game, feel like there isn't much more on my part to do with this game so just felt I'd go back and poke around the Wii files and make sure my findings didn't get lost in my head.

I don't know much about game dumping or even Local Multiplayer when it comes to out of region games, I've never tried another Japanese title on Local Play, shame the Title Keys don't seem to be out there so we would know we have the best dump we are going to get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over