Homebrew [WIP] List of known bricks due to an attempt to downgrade to 9.2.

sampson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2: put me on "stupid moron that should've double-checked his md5" list...

sambookpro:downgrade sampson$ md5 9.2.0-20U\(Full\)_n3DS.zip

MD5 (9.2.0-20U(Full)_n3DS.zip) = 879f437d7c78f09ae565f79f5aa9c421

sambookpro:downgrade sampson$

Already being returned to retailer. I have a modded 2DS and 3DS XL I mostly wanted the face plate 3DS because I thought it looked neat. It's too small for my tastes and I already got a nu XL for my legit console so I'll just stick with what I have.

Last edited by sampson,

Ar7ific1al

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo: 5
Me: 0
5x O3DSXL semi-bricks. Gonna try another entrypoint for the fourth.

1) 10.1.0-27U, HomeMenuHax (aka menuhax/themehax), CIAs from TTP
2) 10.3, OoTHax, CIAs from TTP
3) 10.3, OoTHax, CIAs from somewhere else on "That Site"
4) 10.3, IronHax, ^
5) 10.3, HomeMenuHax, ^

Last edited by Ar7ific1al,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bricked my USA 10.3.0-28 New3DSXL. Recovery mode's not working. Used Ironhax as the entrypoint. It "installed" and after the reboot it's stuck on just a black screen, with only the blue LED lighting up. I successfully downgraded an O3DS with Ironhax and another O3DS with Ninjhax.

Ar7ific1al

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bricked my USA 10.3.0-28 New3DSXL. Recovery mode's not working. Used Ironhax as the entrypoint. It "installed" and after the reboot it's stuck on just a black screen, with only the blue LED lighting up. I successfully downgraded an O3DS with Ironhax and another O3DS with Ninjhax.
Make sure you're holding the recovery buttons before powering on.

Rob Eich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New 3DS XL on latest firmware, menuhax.
Black screen, blue light (after hours and hours of trying to get it to work). Tried booting into recovery mode, removing SD/battery. Nothing is working.

I should add it completed and screen went black after reboot prompt, restarted as a fucking brick.

Last edited by Rob Eich,
Reactions: RedBlueGreen

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
PSA: SysUpdater UNINSTALLS THE ENTIRE FIRMWARE before it starts installing any of the CIA files. That means that if the downgrade fails early on it will not have installed enough of the system firmware for even recovery mode to work and you will be left with a BRICK. Many of the reported bricks are caused by this so it would be best to AVOID DOWNGRADING for now.

Now that this is known I would recommend everyone avoid using the sysupdater version posted in the tutorial thread or any of the older versions floating around. A version will hopefully be posted soon that fixes this issue, as well as changes when NATIVE_FIRM is installed (a downgraded NATIVE_FIRM could be incompatible with non-downgraded titles after a partial/failed downgrade so it is now installed at the end of the downgrade process instead, this is especially an issue on new 3DS due to the 9.6+ encryption) to make this safer to use for both o3DS and n3DS users, but especially for n3DS users.

GreenXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add me to the list of fully bricked black screen ... I'm so bummed, I wish I had just waited.

I was on o3ds us 10.3 ... md5 checked all my files and everything was running perfect until about 5 or 6 cia installs in and got a failed one. Got the screen to restart the system, did that and full brick.

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most of the bricks I've seen were due to user error, then there's the weird ones like that guy who downgraded a couple of time but go an error each time and had to update through recovery mode (even then I'd guess it's probably due to a corrupted or invalid file making it the user's fault, but I'm not expert).
If you don't want to be patient you should at least check your files before downgrading, make sure you're good to go if you don't want to end up with an expensive paperweight.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Add me to the list of fully bricked black screen ... I'm so bummed, I wish I had just waited.

I was on o3ds us 10.3 ... md5 checked all my files and everything was running perfect until about 5 or 6 cia installs in and got a failed one. Got the screen to restart the system, did that and full brick.
Huh, all of my cias were successful but I still got bricked.

Reactions: Rob Eich

PF2M

Ex-Miiverse Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should add this one, it cost me my 3DS with 120+ eShop games:

3 or 4 CIAs into installation, I was interrupted by a black error screen in the regular 3DS font saying something like:

"An error has occurred. Please hold the POWER button and try again later. If the problem continues, please contact help.nintendo.net for more information."

After that, I got a black screen that I don't think Recovery Mode works on. What should I do?

I tried:
Going into Recovery Mode (didn't seem to work)
Removing the SD and trying again (didn't seem to work)
Adding a blank SD (didn't work)

I'm on O3DS 10.3 with Menuhax.

I should also note that MassExplosion213 and Konathedemo had the same problem.

PSA: SysUpdater UNINSTALLS THE ENTIRE FIRMWARE before it starts installing any of the CIA files. That means that if the downgrade fails early on it will not have installed enough of the system firmware for even recovery mode to work and you will be left with a BRICK. Many of the reported bricks are caused by this so it would be best to AVOID DOWNGRADING for now.

That explains a lot. Does anyone know if there's an unbricking service or anything to help fix that?

GreenXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the bricks I've seen were due to user error, then there's the weird ones like that guy who downgraded a couple of time but go an error each time and had to update through recovery mode (even then I'd guess it's probably due to a corrupted or invalid file making it the user's fault, but I'm not expert).
If you don't want to be patient you should at least check your files before downgrading, make sure you're good to go if you don't want to end up with an expensive paperweight.

Just checking the files is not enough, I made sure to check everything and follow the directions to a tee and it still bricked mine.

Reactions: Rob Eich

Ar7ific1al

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Updated that post with my progress.

I've noticed that CIA installation consistently skips some files. All files it installs say successful, but it doesn't install all 126 CIAs. It only goes through around 40-50 (don't remember exact count). Mine is "finishing" consistently on 0004013000008002.cia, which leaves 6 going in numerical order. That doesn't account for the rest of the CIAs it isn't even bothering to try and install.

Is this normal? The overall process for me takes maybe 2 minutes. Every attempt has resulted in semi-brick from which I have been able to recover every time.

Tzuba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a soft brick after the cias were all successfully installed.

Guys, if you have a New3DS and you get a softbrick, don't stop trying to get into recovery mode. It took me a few tries but I finally got in. The timing to get in is a bit weird so just keeping trying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY