Homebrew [WIP] List of known bricks due to an attempt to downgrade to 9.2.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The only way a hardbrick would occur would be for the downgrade to fail exactly when installing the NATIVE_FIRM, I think (though if you have a NAND backup via hardmod you can just restore it). It's.... unrealistic at minimum, considering how much work was put into say, sysUpdater, then safeSys and now plaiSys. Chances are as low as they can get.
If I have a hardmod my 3DS is basically immortal, right? Im pretty good at soldering, I just need to buy new equipment, so I am thinking about getting a hardmod if it helps my 3DS.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If I have a hardmod my 3DS is basically immortal, right? Im pretty good at soldering, I just need to buy new equipment, so I am thinking about getting a hardmod if it helps my 3DS.
Nope. If you mess with the LEDs / use Gateway (NAND write protection) you wont be able to restore via hardmod,

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nope. If you mess with the LEDs / use Gateway (NAND write protection) you wont be able to restore via hardmod,

But if I only do a downgrade, install CFW, install A9LH etc, I will be safe, right? I never planned on using gateway software anyway, as I think they are scammers because they make you pay for something you can get free easily, and I have no flipping idea how to mess with the LEDs.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
But if I only do a downgrade, install CFW, install A9LH etc, I will be safe, right? I never planned on using gateway software anyway, as I think they are scammers because they make you pay for something you can get free easily, and I have no flipping idea how to mess with the LEDs.
Dont mess with the LEDs. Period. Anyway, yeah, youll be OK if you dont use gateshit or mess with LEDs.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dont mess with the LEDs. Period. Anyway, yeah, youll be OK if you dont use gateshit or mess with LEDs.

Thank you for your amazing patience, you literally saved me. Im gonna practice oldering on a few old PCBs/broken mainboards before I do my hardmod, been a while since I soldered seriously. Have a nice evening!

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Im back! I installed a few legit cias and played them very much. I have the files on my SD card, after I format, will they still be there? That after I format I just quickly set up my system, install menuhax and downgrade? I was wondering, because Im not sure if the format deletes non-nintendo files like the hax or the update files. Thanks in advance!

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Im back! I installed a few legit cias and played them very much. I have the files on my SD card, after I format, will they still be there? That after I format I just quickly set up my system, install menuhax and downgrade? I was wondering, because Im not sure if the format deletes non-nintendo files like the hax or the update files. Thanks in advance!
Um, a format formats the SD Card as well, afaik.
so guys what am i supposed to do when it says rebooting sysupdater for 10+ minutes? (i shut down my o3ds after it happened and the downgrade succeeded but now that i wanna downgrade my n3ds too,i want to stay safe.)
If it does that for that long, you don't have any other choice but to shut it down forcefully.

richardparker

Trophies
XP
Country
India

If it does that for that long, you don't have any other choice but to shut it down forcefully.
which means i can brick my new n3ds? forget it,i'll install legit cias.
btw i just ordered my n3ds from amazon a few minutes ago and i wanna know that if it arrives at 9.9 then how will i install hbl thru browserhax which will be the only way as the browser will ask for a system update to work...and 11 will destroy all the hacking capabilities of the 3ds..im in a huge dilemma..

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Here we are talking about hardbricks and not softbricks, am I wrong?
both

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will I be safe of a softbrick when I format without the SD card inside and put it in after I formatted? Or should I format with the SD card and put the files on the fresh formatted sd card?

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I've seen 3 softbricks. It's because of the ramdom softbricks, but it happends and I think it should be on the main post.
Nothing strange did. One of them was mine and I did the same as allways, so...

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
which means i can brick my new n3ds? forget it,i'll install legit cias.
btw i just ordered my n3ds from amazon a few minutes ago and i wanna know that if it arrives at 9.9 then how will i install hbl thru browserhax which will be the only way as the browser will ask for a system update to work...and 11 will destroy all the hacking capabilities of the 3ds..im in a huge dilemma..
Uh, there is a minimal chance of bricking with ANY kernel-related exploit, but usually if it sits at 10+mins on the reboot screen youre OK, just force shutdown.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
both

Will I be safe of a softbrick when I format without the SD card inside and put it in after I formatted? Or should I format with the SD card and put the files on the fresh formatted sd card?
Just to be on the safe side, format everything

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well I've seen 3 softbricks. It's because of the ramdom softbricks, but it happends and I think it should be on the main post.
Nothing strange did. One of them was mine and I did the same as allways, so...
I know, but they found a fix. Formatting before downgrading prevents a random softbrick, you can still hardbrick when your system crashes while installing NATIVE_FIRM though...

Just to be on the safe side, format everything

alright then

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, but they found a fix. Formatting before downgrading prevents a random softbrick, you can still hardbrick when your system crashes while installing NATIVE_FIRM though...

alright then
Yes I know, that "fix" has been there in the first place, but it still isn't known why it happend, and not all people know this before downgrade. This is why I think it's a good idea to put it in the OP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work