Homebrew [WIP] List of known bricks due to an attempt to downgrade to 9.2.

pu1se80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this shouldn't be happening anymore with the plaisysupdater which hash checks the files before downgrade.

Yeah, I tried to get plaisysupdater to run but it simply wouldn't. Yellow screen after yellow screen for probably a couple hours. Just used sysupdater. It worked and I was happy, until it wouldn't reboot. Double checked my files and I'd messed up and used the files I just did my N3ds with. Oh well. Such is life. Learned my lesson and moved on.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, I dont want to risk bricking my New 3DS XL, I would rather hardmod it before risking something that could destroy it unrecoverably. If I do everything correctly, and have the right files, is there any way my System could still hardbrick or softbrick? And if I softbrick, is there any way of NOT updating to ver. 11 to fix my system? Also, can anyone confirm these hashes for the 9.2.0-20E(Full)_n3DS.zip? Hashes:
MD5=aaa5960a3061da1f08d944d8e7017bd6
SHA1=306d0aa8cd195f9ee4388a9686db5658a330b59b
CRC32=1db430ad
SHA256=e7fbaf4ee01b81a3c2297028ef3fddc002f6933bfd20c2453bc6137bda89e5fd

Thanks in advance!

Khangaroo

$ORIGINALTITLE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I dont want to risk bricking my New 3DS XL, I would rather hardmod it before risking something that could destroy it unrecoverably. If I do everything correctly, and have the right files, is there any way my System could still hardbrick or softbrick? And if I softbrick, is there any way of NOT updating to ver. 11 to fix my system? Also, can anyone confirm these hashes for the 9.2.0-20E(Full)_n3DS.zip? Hashes:
MD5=aaa5960a3061da1f08d944d8e7017bd6
SHA1=306d0aa8cd195f9ee4388a9686db5658a330b59b
CRC32=1db430ad
SHA256=e7fbaf4ee01b81a3c2297028ef3fddc002f6933bfd20c2453bc6137bda89e5fd

Thanks in advance!
PlaiSysUpdater verifies each file.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
PlaiSysUpdater verifies each file.
Thanks, and do you also have answers to my other questions? No rush, but I really want to have full control over my New 3DS XL (currently on 9.6.0-24E), but I dont want to take ANY risk of bricking my device UNRECOVERABLE. Thanks in advance!

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks, and do you also have answers to my other questions? No rush, but I really want to have full control over my New 3DS XL (currently on 9.6.0-24E), but I dont want to take ANY risk of bricking my device UNRECOVERABLE. Thanks in advance!
there's a small chance you'll softbrick. Which can be removed by formatting the console before downgrading.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
there's a small chance you'll softbrick. Which can be removed by formatting the console before downgrading.
So I cant brick if I format before I downgrade? No hardbrick and not even a softbrick? I heard stories of people who got a hardbrick or a softbrick and had to update to ver. 11, but that was a while ago. I just REALLY want to make sure, because most errors and bricks come to be because of human failure.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
So I cant brick if I format before I downgrade? No hardbrick and not even a softbrick? I heard stories of people who got a hardbrick or a softbrick and had to update to ver. 11, but that was a while ago. I just REALLY want to make sure, because most errors and bricks come to be because of human failure.
Softbricks (or all that Ive seen and witnessed) were on non-formatted systems (including my own)). Hardbricks... Never actually witnessed one. Make sure you have power and follow Plailect's guide without skipping stufd.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Softbricks (or all that Ive seen and witnessed) were on non-formatted systems (including my own)). Hardbricks... Never actually witnessed one. Make sure you have power and follow Plailect's guide without skipping stufd.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk
Are you sure? I REALLY REALLY REALLY dont want my 3DS to break(unrecoverable brick, screen not turning on anymore, etc.), or update to ver.11, because I want to have CFW on my 3DS, but I dont want to risk bricking my device either. So if I format my New 3DS XL, put the files on my SD-Card, downgrade and still end up with a softbrick(error message when booting 3DS), how can I update to a version other than ver.11, or even better, revert to before? Sorry for asking the same damn questions over and over again, but I want to be REALLY sure, by getting opinions from many skilled members of the 3DS hacking community. Also, because I am german, what does stufd mean? Or did you mean stuff? Thanks in advance, again! :D

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Are you sure? I REALLY REALLY REALLY dont want my 3DS to break(unrecoverable brick, screen not turning on anymore, etc.), or update to ver.11, because I want to have CFW on my 3DS, but I dont want to risk bricking my device either. So if I format my New 3DS XL, put the files on my SD-Card, downgrade and still end up with a softbrick(error message when booting 3DS), how can I update to a version other than ver.11, or even better, revert to before? Sorry for asking the same damn questions over and over again, but I want to be REALLY sure, by getting opinions from many skilled members of the 3DS hacking community. Also, because I am german, what does stufd mean? Or did you mean stuff? Thanks in advance, again! :D
If you softbricks, youll either have to go to 11.0 or restore a NAND backup with a hardmod (which I assume you dont hace). I AM sure, Ive downgraded several DSs.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you softbricks, youll either have to go to 11.0 or restore a NAND backup with a hardmod (which I assume you dont hace). I AM sure, Ive downgraded several DSs.
Huh, is a hardmod difficult to perform? My soldering gear is quite old, and doesnt have a small tip, is it possible to connect it temporarily, just for making a backup or restoring it? I dont really have money for soldering gear, so a temporary way would be highly appreciated. Also, can I brick my 3ds with a hardmod?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Huh, is a hardmod difficult to perform? My soldering gear is quite old, and doesnt have a small tip, is it possible to connect it temporarily, just for making a backup or restoring it? I dont really have money for soldering gear, so a temporary way would be highly appreciated. Also, can I brick my 3ds with a hardmod?
Well. If you don't have a small tip, and don't have experience doing this, I'd recommend you not to do it yourself. A hardmod can screw you up if you accidentally destroy something (with the soldering iron, or if you rip something off, or damage the pads), or if you short something...

Really, I haven't heard anyone who did a format prior to downgrading bricked. It's the best way of downgrading.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well. If you don't have a small tip, and don't have experience doing this, I'd recommend you not to do it yourself. A hardmod can screw you up if you accidentally destroy something (with the soldering iron, or if you rip something off, or damage the pads), or if you short something...

Really, I haven't heard anyone who did a format prior to downgrading bricked. It's the best way of downgrading.
What about the people who bricked because shutting of at a stuck "HAX INIT"? Or the ones who had to shut off when "getting CIA information" got stuck? Or the ones who had to shut off when the "rebooting in 10 seconds" got stuck? They bricked, how can I be sure that that wont happen to me?

Last edited by Ironknight,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
What about the people who bricked because shutting of at a stuck "HAX INIT"? Or the ones wgo had to shut off when "getting CIA information" got stuck? Or the ones who had to shut off when the "rebooting in 10 seconds" got stuck? They bricked, how can I be sure that that wont happen to me?
Let me tell you something - There is no way to get a 0% brick chance. Also, currently, the downgrade is as safe as it's going to get.

It's your console, YOU take the chance. I've successfully downgraded multiple systems. None bricked (I always formatted them prior to downgrading). The only non-downgraded system I own is my main 2DS, which constantly softbricked (I guess I was unlucky). Fortunately, at the time, the latest FW was 10.3 and I just used recovery. I'm not willing to format, and I'm good on this version.

TL;DR: Your DS, your choice.

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Let me tell you something - There is no way to get a 0% brick chance. Also, currently, the downgrade is as safe as it's going to get.

It's your console, YOU take the chance. I've successfully downgraded multiple systems. None bricked (I always formatted them prior to downgrading). The only non-downgraded system I own is my main 2DS, which constantly softbricked (I guess I was unlucky). Fortunately, at the time, the latest FW was 10.3 and I just used recovery. I'm not willing to format, and I'm good on this version.

TL;DR: Your DS, your choice.
I realize that, but I just want to know if theres a chance that my DS wont work again. There are workarounds to a softbrick, but if you hardbrick, you are fucked. So I have one last question: is it possible to get a hardbrick thats not recoverable without a NAND backup?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

Ironknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
So if I dont use Gateway software or fuck with my 3DS LEDs, and also format before downgrading, my 3DS cant hardbrick and the chance to softbrick are as low as they can get?
The only way a hardbrick would occur would be for the downgrade to fail exactly when installing the NATIVE_FIRM, I think (though if you have a NAND backup via hardmod you can just restore it). It's.... unrealistic at minimum, considering how much work was put into say, sysUpdater, then safeSys and now plaiSys. Chances are as low as they can get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    BakerMan won't bake cakes for chat. :ninja:
    +1
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: BakerMan won't bake cakes for chat. :ninja: +1