Hacking [WIP] Complete Custom Firmware Guide

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice guide, but for the love of satan, could you please make the headers easier to read?

also, what about updating the emunand?
You don't like my headers :( lol jk... Is it the color or just the font? Anyways updating depends on o3ds or n3ds... N3ds users need to use sysupdater while in emuNAND with a 9.5 update pack. O3ds users just update through system settings while in emuNAND

LeopoldBloom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the guide!

Everything went smoothly (O3DS on 9.2, installed Cakes) then got stuck on the EmuNAND9 setup. I copied the latest EmuNAND files to my SD. I couldn't figure out how to launch the EmuNAND9.dat file using Cakes but I already had homebrew launcher installed so I booted it from that. I ran a complete emunand setup, it finished successfully with no errors. After that, I rebooted my 3DS and it no longer recognizes my SD card ("could not detect an SD card"). It doesn't seem like my SD card was formatted during the emunand setup, all of the files are still there as I left them.

Any ideas?

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide!

Everything went smoothly (O3DS on 9.2, installed Cakes) then got stuck on the EmuNAND9 setup. I copied the latest EmuNAND files to my SD. I couldn't figure out how to launch the EmuNAND9.dat file using Cakes but I already had homebrew launcher installed so I booted it from that. I ran a complete emunand setup, it finished successfully with no errors. After that, I rebooted my 3DS and it no longer recognizes my SD card ("could not detect an SD card"). It doesn't seem like my SD card was formatted during the emunand setup, all of the files are still there as I left them.

Any ideas?
This is probably something for the EmuNAND9 thread, you should take this over there so d0k3 can help you out (it's his tool and not mine after all)

LeopoldBloom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Many thanks, will do.

In general, having just downgraded my 3DS and trying to install CFW for the first time with zero background knowledge, I found the tutorial to be very easy to follow. I did get stuck for awhile on the EmuNAND section because the d0k3 EmuNAND9 thread and the readme that comes with it is more geared towards intermediate-level users. Having followed your tutorial to get CakesFW confirmed working, I know I should be able to run EmuNAND9.dat from that but I couldn't figure out how. I had the homebrew launcher installed randomly after following some tutorial after downgrading and it was easy to do using that (since that finds the launcher file automatically on the SD card). So my main feedback as a complete noob would be perhaps expanding that section to show users who can now boot into their CFW how to run either the .dat file (Cakes) or whichever method is easiest for rxTools users.

Thanks again!

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I am seeking a bit more input regarding this guide. Please refer to my signature for my current setup.

I am yet to actually downgrade because I wanted to do a bit more research on the process before I actually took action.. I came across this guide but I am a bit confused. Basically, I would like to run DSi Ware such as Four Swords (if there is a dump that exists) as well as DS Roms, aside from everything I am currently doing like using Homebrew and Emulators like RetroArch if it's still possible.

I have been reading many comments saying that it is better to wait for a safer method of downgrading and so forth but regardless, whenever I decide to downgrade and whichever method I choose (obviously following the current best method.). Once I downgrade how do I install a CFW? Is that what RxTools does?

Basically if I got this all right, from there I would use FBI to install .cia files?
So does Homebrew run on Emunand and CFWs run on Sysnand?

Also any recommendations for CFWs would be great. Keep in mind, "I would like to run DSi Ware such as Four Swords (if there is a dump that exists) as well as DS Roms, aside from everything I am currently doing like using Homebrew and Emulators like RetroArch if it's still possible."

I am still new to all this so some insight would be helpful.

Last edited by Cloud9Skywalker,

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I am seeking a bit more input regarding this guide. Please refer to my signature for my current setup.

I am yet to actually downgrade because I wanted to do a bit more research on the process before I actually took action.. I came across this guide but I am a bit confused. Basically, I would like to run DSi Ware such as Four Swords (if there is a dump that exists) as well as DS Roms, aside from everything I am currently doing like using Homebrew and Emulators like RetroArch if it's still possible.

I have been reading many comments saying that it is better to wait for a safer method of downgrading and so forth but regardless, whenever I decide to downgrade and whichever method I choose (obviously following the current best method.). Once I downgrade how do I install a CFW? Is that what RxTools does?

So Homebrew runs on Emunand and CFWs run on Sysnand?

Also any recommendations for CFWs would be great. Keep in mind, "I would like to run DSi Ware such as Four Swords (if there is a dump that exists) as well as DS Roms, aside from everything I am currently doing like using Homebrew and Emulators like RetroArch if it's still possible."

I am still new to all this so some insight would be helpful.
Hello, rxTools IS the CFW, (though I recommend Cakes). I don't currently have any info on the DSi ware (though I have heard it is possible to install it, just not sure how) DS ROMs currently require a DS mode flashcart (you can pick them up super cheap though)

Homebrew can run on both sysNAND and emuNAND, as can CIAs (it depends on which mode you boot while booting CFW for CIAs), however CIAs (unless they are "legit") require that CFW be running to run them. The homebrew launcher does not, I advise that you first worry about a CFW setup once you decide to take the plunge and downgrade and worry about things like DSi ware later.

All emuNAND is is an emulated NAND, which lets you sort of "Dual boot" between the exploitable firmware (<9.2) and the latest firmware (or 9.5 on n3ds) so that you may access the eShop and play games that require newer system versions to run properly

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by dark_samus3,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@dark_samus3 the colour of the headers is fine, its just you could outline them so people could read them without eye cancer.

Also have you managed to load any gba games on the latest rxtools nightly? because gba/dsi is broken apparently and i cant get gbas to load at least

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@dark_samus3 the colour of the headers is fine, its just you could outline them so people could read them without eye cancer.

Also have you managed to load any gba games on the latest rxtools nightly? because gba/dsi is broken apparently and i cant get gbas to load at least
I don't use rxTools (and never will). Cakes or ReiNAND are the better solutions honestly

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use rxTools (and never will). Cakes or ReiNAND are the better solutions honestly

Then your guide is gonna be pretty lackluster then because of misinformation

This is a pretty simple process

NOTE: If you're using rxTools then you don't need to do this, keep in mind that if you decide to switch CFWs at any point this will be necessary to use GBA games in that new CFW (Unless that one has the on the fly GBA firm patching)

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then your guide is gonna be pretty lackluster then because of misinformation
rxTools developers breaking things isn't my fault :P also make sure that you disable reboot patches (for smash and monster hunter) as they conflict with the GBA firmware booting properly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro