Homebrew misadventures with installing 600+ .cias

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anyone here interested in data preservation and archiving?

if you read my post there are actually infinite amount of pros and only ONE single con. but ok.
Post automatically merged:

um like ive said many times now every single game launches and plays 100% fine from FBI the sole issue is having to power cycle in between different games (much like the old days when you had to turn off the snes to swap a cartridge) which is a very minor issue...
Theres likely lots of places already trying to preserve these types of things.

The real question is. If these things are such a minor issue. why are you even posting about this in the first place?

Reactions: BigOnYa

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very sad to see such ignorant and close minded responses to what i believed to be a neat experiment of pushing the 3ds to its limits as well as a fun project to archive a part of nintendo history. :yay3ds::teach:. hopefully the cool people are just asleep or busy right now :P

why do you guys hate fun so much!!! :glare:

The real question is. If these things are such a minor issue. why are you even posting about this in the first place?
i was mostly curious why my ds shows like 30 extra spaces when its already overwriting tiles

i guess since other people are doing it i shouldnt do it myself. awesome.

Do remember that the 3DS has very limited ram and will have to store all additional information about the installed titles in ram, in addition to the ram that the currently running game is using.
What happens is very likely that the amount of titles you have installed is so large that the 3DS can't handle both a suspended game and the Homescreen at the same time, but can handle either separately.

Really the only solution is to swallow your pride and uninstall a bunch of software until it no longer crashes, then just play what's installed, delete them, install the new ones, and play those. You don't need to have every single game installed at once in order to play them, you only have two hands and one brain, so serialize that shit.

Also save data is separate from installed titles, and as far as I know has no limit since it's only loaded as needed even in the settings app. As such you can keep track of your quest to play every single title using the save data instead.

Alternatively buy more 3DS systems and split the games out over those.
its honestly truly unhinged to scroll past pursuing a passion project that doesnt effect you AT ALL and typing like 5 paragraphs shitting on them for literally no reason like wow youre so cool and smart uwu

please try having some fun guys lol nothing is that serious. try taking it easy for once. ffs

Last edited by bellisornot,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if you read my post there are actually infinite amount of pros and only ONE single con. but ok.

um like ive said many times now every single game launches and plays 100% fine from FBI the sole issue is having to power cycle in between different games (much like the old days when you had to turn off the snes to swap a cartridge) which is a very minor issue...
Sure, let's ignore the SD write cycles you waste installing plenty of titles you won't actually play, and basically causing yourself to spend more money having to replace the SD card much sooner since well, you killed what you have pretty fast. If your SD card is one of those massive capacity cards, you know, the ones that aren't really designed for the 3DS, you also increase the likelihood of having partition read and write issues, SD detection issues (both of these can actually create a situation of file fragmentation and corruption), file seeking performance drops, and obviously you tank performance on the console itself, maybe not in every instance, but definitely so when it comes to loading into titles, storing data, etc. need I say more?

I saw your updated post just now by the way (it wasn't updated when I was typing my last comment).

"I am both working on completing every single ds and 3ds game ever made, and i also wanted to turn my switch into a true living library for the purpose of data preservation"

Right. Yea uh, call us over the future hologram phones when you manage to do that. I've dabbled with both the NDS and 3DS side of things on my own time, you are basically claiming to attempt to play over 4,000+ entries from start to finish from both libraries combined, literal 100%....yea sounds feasible, especially considering neither list is actually complete and is always updated over time. As for a living preservation library on the console....that's completely useless and serves absolutely zero purpose, sounds like another excuse to get away with installing so much stuff that doesn't need to be installed. Preservation groups already do their part dumping and preserving the software as-is with their massive online libraries and such, that's literally the best one can do, installing them all on the console doesn't do a damn thing except waste SD space and well, induce the issues mentioned earlier among other potential issues depending on the platform at hand. If this is for bragging rights, talk about overrated. I don't think you'll have much time to actually play the games because you'll be too busy trying to work around issues you create with the system(s).

Since you don't understand the negative backlash from others, you are literally doing something nonsensical here, you can easily play every game you claim that you will attempt to play without having to install all of them at once (at least the currently known and available ones). But hey, what would I know...

Oh and installing a bunch of games on a system isn't pushing it to its limit. You want to push the system to its limits? Maybe develop something that shows off the full force of the hardware. Installing games you pirated is not how you express potential in a system. That is just an underutilization of custom firmware.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
very sad to see such ignorant and close minded responses
You are having some of the best minds in the DS and 3DS scenes telling you this is a bad idea and explaining why it’s a bad idea. You aren’t going to change any of our minds because this is a stupid idea and you did something stupid.

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are having some of the best minds in the DS and 3DS scenes telling you this is a bad idea and explaining why it’s a bad idea. You aren’t going to change any of our minds because this is a stupid idea and you did something stupid.
sorry you hate fun so much buddy :grog:

Sure, let's ignore the SD write cycles you waste installing plenty of titles you won't actually play, and basically causing yourself to spend more money having to replace the SD card much sooner since well, you killed what you have pretty fast. If your SD card is one of those massive capacity cards, you know, the ones that aren't really designed for the 3DS, you also increase the likelihood of having partition read and write issues, SD detection issues (both of these can actually create a situation of file fragmentation and corruption), file seeking performance drops, and obviously you tank performance on the console itself, maybe not in every instance, but definitely so when it comes to loading into titles, storing data, etc. need I say more?

I saw your updated post just now by the way (it wasn't updated when I was typing my last comment).

"I am both working on completing every single ds and 3ds game ever made, and i also wanted to turn my switch into a true living library for the purpose of data preservation"

Right. Yea uh, call us over the future hologram phones when you manage to do that. I've dabbled with both the NDS and 3DS side of things on my own time, you are basically claiming to attempt to play over 4,000+ entries from start to finish from both libraries combined, literal 100%....yea sounds feasible, especially considering neither list is actually complete and is always updated over time. As for a living preservation library on the console....that's completely useless and serves absolutely zero purpose, sounds like another excuse to get away with installing so much stuff that doesn't need to be installed. Preservation groups already do their part dumping and preserving the software as-is with their massive online libraries and such, that's literally the best one can do, installing them all on the console doesn't do a damn thing except waste SD space and well, induce the issues mentioned earlier among other potential issues depending on the platform at hand. If this is for bragging rights, talk about overrated. I don't think you'll have much time to actually play the games because you'll be too busy trying to work around issues you create with the system(s).

Since you don't understand the negative backlash from others, you are literally doing something nonsensical here, you can easily play every game you claim that you will attempt to play without having to install all of them at once (at least the currently known and available ones). But hey, what would I know...

Oh and installing a bunch of games on a system isn't pushing it to its limit. You want to push the system to its limits? Maybe develop something that shows off the full force of the hardware. Installing games you pirated is not how you express potential in a system. That is just an underutilization of custom firmware.
thanks for the unwanted pessimism <3

Last edited by bellisornot,

signer-ink-beast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignoring the drama and shaming...

You can install more than 300 titles, yes. However, you're going to run into a lot of issues. But if you really want to do this, use RocketRobz' 3DS Bank application to do so. This will avoid most, but not all the issues, you could potentially come across.

I use this because I ran into the title limit just having my legit purchased games + a few homebrew apps went above the title limit for one bank.

Fun fact: even though you could go above the title limit, technically, even the eShop would disallow you from making any more purchases once you reached the limit. Even if you have the storage space to spare. This is a moot point now that the eShop is closed, but this was something I've seen for myself before I started making use of 3DS Bank. Now I can use RetroArch and not have any titles that have "disappeared" from the home menu hard-crash when I press home to adjust the screen brightness or something (it WILL, if you haven't seen it yourself; save your game before testing that out).

Start up times should improve, too. Immensely. Plus the more titles you have, the more time it takes for FBI to list them. And as you probably know, it takes forever and a day. It's not like FBI caches the title list like Checkpoint. It regenerates it from scratch every time.

Known problems you'll come across once you use that will primarily be with games that have trouble working on SD cards that are larger than 128 GB. I don't remember which games these are. I think the only one I can name off the top of my head is Story of Seasons. Most games shouldn't give you problems, and I know there are more titles with those problems than just Story of Seasons.

I knowingly rock a N3DS with a 400 GB SD card quite happily. I don't have the whole 3DS library installed across banks. But if one wants to do it, this would be the way to do it. I have 4 Banks. One called "Retail 0", "Retail 1", "Homebrew", "Emulators". I also wouldn't recommend using a card larger than 128 GB in size (or a partition size above that if you are stuck with one for some reason?), unless you're crazy like me and put a few whole console libraries for a region on your card and fill up the space, and also want your games you can play via ScummVM on the 3DS to fit on there! *shakes fist* I get where you're coming from, OP.

Edited last paragraph for clarity.

Oh! One more tip. Try to keep folder use to a minimum, because folders count toward the title limit. Folders also carry over to other banks when you switch between them. DSiWare and system apps carry over as well, but DSiWare doesn't count toward that 300 3DS title limit. DSiWare has its own title limit on the 3DS (max of 40 at one time).

Last edited by signer-ink-beast,
  • Love
Reactions: bellisornot

Vahacris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You use 3dsbank wrong.
I have 1000 3ds games on my 3ds.
Just install 250 games, then use 3ds bank to change the folder, install another 250 and change folder in 3ds bank again. That way I have 4 folders, 250 games each all visible on home screen and I zero freezes

bellisornot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You use 3dsbank wrong.
I have 1000 3ds games on my 3ds.
Just install 250 games, then use 3ds bank to change the folder, install another 250 and change folder in 3ds bank again. That way I have 4 folders, 250 games each all visible on home screen and I zero freezes
you are very right!!! im gonna attempt the 3dsbank method when i pick up a n3dsxl : ) im just glad all the games still launch and work even if its a lil buggy (i also figured out you can just install what you want on the homescreen last and itll overwrite any existing tiles but keep the game installed in fbi

iGPR3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

just have 2 consoles with 300 games each and you won’t have any issues with the tile limit. plus it might fix the issue with the home button.

if youre so devoted to 100%ing every game im sure you can get another console..

edit: the messages below the one i quoted didnt load, but my point still stands - if you have any issues then use 2 consoles.

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just have 2 consoles with 300 games each and you won’t have any issues with the tile limit. plus it might fix the issue with the home button.

if youre so devoted to 100%ing every game im sure you can get another console..

edit: the messages below the one i quoted didnt load, but my point still stands - if you have any issues then use 2 consoles.
There you go. Using 2 consoles, same time, to get 100% completion of all games = Twice as fast!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto