Hacking [WIP] Complete Custom Firmware Guide

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Ok, tried again and made it so I had to press no buttons for it to boot...and it still won't work. Any ideas?

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, tried again and made it so I had to press no buttons for it to boot...and it still won't work. Any ideas?
No not really... Downgrading is still really new so we don't know a whole lot about any adverse effects on the system... this MAY be one of them

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I'll try deleting it and installing again. Having to use the browser for CFW everytime is a pain... I need to have autoboot.

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Step 13 (optional)
unlink your emuNAND and sysNAND

This step is optional, but recommended

NOTE: If you want to play GBA games follow the guide in the spoiler below about patching GBA firmware before performing this step
  • boot your 3ds
  • take you SD card out
  • go into Settings -> Other Settings -> Format System Memory
I followed these steps on suggestion on someone. Now all my downloaded titles are gone even after I put the SD card back in. How can I get them back?

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help. I am a bit confused here.

What I have:
New 3ds XL on 9.2fw using Cubic Ninja - Ninjhax 1.1b - to launch Pasta CFW

What I Want:
New 3ds XL on 9.2fw with MenuHax Autobooting Pasta CFW.

Issues: I cannot install menuhax because I use ninjhax 1.1, and menuhax requires 2.5 to work, but ninjhax 2.5 does not load arm9 stuff. Which I would need brahma2 right? I have the brahma2 files, but not sure how i would install that via HBL or what to do. I am lost, Please help.

-----UPDATE----
Tried to use ninjhax2.5 and now I am able to install themehax. I tested booting HBL and it worked. I moved the pastacfw 3dxsometing file to root and renamed it to boot. tested to boot directly into pastacfw and it gets stick in a black screen. Help!

I have not done anything with brahma2 at this point.

Last edited by Pecrow,

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Had a few edits to this but the long and short is every time I inject the fbi'd health and safety app it no longer appears on my 3DS regardless of being booted normal or CFW. Restored my original hs.app and did it again, no difference.

Yet another edit: I enabled Disable Signature Checks in the Cakes options. Making progress again.

Last edited by AshuraZro,

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help. I am a bit confused here.

What I have:
New 3ds XL on 9.2fw using Cubic Ninja - Ninjhax 1.1b - to launch Pasta CFW

What I Want:
New 3ds XL on 9.2fw with MenuHax Autobooting Pasta CFW.

Issues: I cannot install menuhax because I use ninjhax 1.1, and menuhax requires 2.5 to work, but ninjhax 2.5 does not load arm9 stuff. Which I would need brahma2 right? I have the brahma2 files, but not sure how i would install that via HBL or what to do. I am lost, Please help.

-----UPDATE----
Tried to use ninjhax2.5 and now I am able to install themehax. I tested booting HBL and it worked. I moved the pastacfw 3dxsometing file to root and renamed it to boot. tested to boot directly into pastacfw and it gets stick in a black screen. Help!

I have not done anything with brahma2 at this point.
You need an updated version of pasta... (Look for minipasta) also don't worry about Brahma 2 most CFWs have it integrated right into the launcher, as long as you're using a recent build

Had a few edits to this but the long and short is every time I inject the fbi'd health and safety app it no longer appears on my 3DS regardless of being booted normal or CFW. Restored my original hs.app and did it again, no difference.

Hmm, weird... Did you try both the banner and no banner versions of the .app?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, weird... Did you try both the banner and no banner versions of the .app?
Solved by enabling Disable Signature Checks in the Cakes cfw patches. This was off by default for me.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need an updated version of pasta... (Look for minipasta) also don't worry about Brahma 2 most CFWs have it integrated right into the launcher, as long as you're using a recent build

Hi , thank you for the update. I got it to work with minipasta, but is there a way to configure minipasta with firmlaunch?

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All CFWs use firmlaunch, except NTR, there's no need to configure anything

I used to use pastacfw with out issues, accessing normally via cubic ninja. Then after installing latest updates for smash, smash stopped working. would get stuck at the 3ds loading screen. I configured firmlaunch to work, dont remember how now, and after that smash worked fine with out issues. Booting directly into minipasta most games work fine, but I am back to smash not working, I think it is related to that firmlaunch thing.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a quick FYI, my emunand crashed nearly instantly on the first time and now will not boot, just goes to black screen. I downgraded my 3DS from 10.3.0.28 U before starting any of this so perhaps an unexpected side effect?
Sysnand(+CFW) is still all good and fully usable. I'll try recreating my emunand and see if it works. Is there any real reason I'd care about running an emunand other than not screwing up my sysnand on cia installs?

Been out of the game for a bit and just still working on wrapping my head around each of the hacks, how they relate and why some methods/cfw would be chosen over others.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use pastacfw with out issues, accessing normally via cubic ninja. Then after installing latest updates for smash, smash stopped working. would get stuck at the 3ds loading screen. I configured firmlaunch to work, dont remember how now, and after that smash worked fine with out issues. Booting directly into minipasta most games work fine, but I am back to smash not working, I think it is related to that firmlaunch thing.
Hmm, I know that Cakes handles this fine (you can boot to sysNAND with it too) not sure where you can get a version of pasta that boots with hax 2.5 as I only use Cakes anymore

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As a quick FYI, my emunand crashed nearly instantly on the first time and now will not boot, just goes to black screen. I downgraded my 3DS from 10.3.0.28 U before starting any of this so perhaps an unexpected side effect?
Sysnand(+CFW) is still all good and fully usable. I'll try recreating my emunand and see if it works. Is there any real reason I'd care about running an emunand other than not screwing up my sysnand on cia installs?

Been out of the game for a bit and just still working on wrapping my head around each of the hacks, how they relate and why some methods/cfw would be chosen over others.
If you're on n3ds and you updated your emuNAND to the latest it will not work. The highest version that works on n3ds is 9.5... This guide used to have that but I think in one of the many edits it got taken out. Sorry about that

EDIT: also emuNAND allows you to be on a higher system version without sacrificing the exploitable firmware you're on... If you don't care about the eShop and don't have any games that require > 9.2 then you're fine to use sysNAND

Last edited by dark_samus3,

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're on n3ds and you updated your emuNAND to the latest it will not work. The highest version that works on n3ds is 9.5... This guide used to have that but I think in one of the many edits it got taken out. Sorry about that
Sorry, I should include details. It is an old 3DS XL. Emunand was not updated, it just crashed on first boot (wouldn't actually load apps, would show them but couldn't start them as no option to start would appear, eventually crashed).

Couldn't care if things went sideways on this in the end at least as I have a New 3DS XL that I won't be goofing around with at any point. Just writing a new emunand now and will see if it plays nice or still stays screwy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol