Will there ever be a flashcard that can use the 3DS Hardware?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Deathycon, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Deathycon
    OP

Newcomer Deathycon Member

United States
    Will there ever be a flashcard that can use all the 3DS Hardware?
    Since there isnt one right now when do you think there could be one?

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    let me consult my crystal ball and i'll get back to you [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well since he's consulting his crystal ball I'll go fire up my time machine, go into the future, and check for you.

4 people like this.
  4. emmanu888

Member emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Canada
    when theirs one im sure gbatemp will be the first to have the news on the frontpage

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Sarcasm aside, let's hope not. Why, you ask? I will certainly answer your inquiry!

As of late, the 3DS became perfectly capable of running full downloaded games off the SD card slot. That means that a theoretical binary has the exact same access to the hardware as the cart slot. If an exploit is found, there is no reason for anyone to use a flashcart.

Flashcarts are a necessary evil - they're additional hardware that does nothing other than give you the option for I/O operations which on the 3DS you already have, they only benefit chinese counterfeit cart businesses and leech off the findings of real hackers. They should be avoided whenever possible - the 3DS needs Custom Firmware, not flashcarts.

2 people like this.
  6. JohnnyBlaze1986

Banned JohnnyBlaze1986 FUCK GBATEMP!

United States
    Last I checked, to add to what Foxi4 said, there are people that have succeeded in dumping the 3DS firmware onto RAM and running it, so the next steps are to come. It's most likely possible, but Nintendo is more aggressive with their system updates this time around, so it might present a challenge.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Also Nintendo's undoubtedly seen how Sony's been so aggressive and how it hasn't impacted their sales to a noticeable degree, so if something major comes out the docile Nintendo we know might get angry.

8. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    @Foxi4 i did not know know that. I am relieved that is possible i wont have to buy another kart.

But, who knows, really?

9. KingBlank

Member KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    GoDzCaTz has announced that there will be a 3ds flashcard that does just this by the year 3000

10. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    **** flashcarts. Gimme a CFW and I'll buy a 32GB SDHC for all my gaming needs.

11. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unless a CFW or other software solution surfaces, there is pretty much no doubting the fact that a flashcard for the 3DS will exist some day. Whether that day be within the months, in a few months, years, or even decades away is yet to be seen. Every relatively popular device gets hacked nowadays, phones, consoles, handhelds, and unless society comes to an end, you can bet that the 3DS will be no different.

It is worth noting that if a software solution arises that allows the execution of homebrew from the SD slot, there would be next-to-no reason to own a flashcard except for piracy.

12. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Best answer: Not now, sometime in the future. The only thing that's been done is RAM hacks. It'll take much more than that to make a 3DS-mode flashcard. And then we need to make some kind of way to code for its processor.