Hacking Will there ever be a flashcard that can use the 3DS Hardware?

Deathycon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will there ever be a flashcard that can use all the 3DS Hardware?
Since there isnt one right now when do you think there could be one?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
let me consult my crystal ball and i'll get back to you
stupidfaceh.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sarcasm aside, let's hope not. Why, you ask? I will certainly answer your inquiry!

As of late, the 3DS became perfectly capable of running full downloaded games off the SD card slot. That means that a theoretical binary has the exact same access to the hardware as the cart slot. If an exploit is found, there is no reason for anyone to use a flashcart.

Flashcarts are a necessary evil - they're additional hardware that does nothing other than give you the option for I/O operations which on the 3DS you already have, they only benefit chinese counterfeit cart businesses and leech off the findings of real hackers. They should be avoided whenever possible - the 3DS needs Custom Firmware, not flashcarts.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnnyBlaze1986

FUCK GBATEMP!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatempsucks.com
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked, to add to what Foxi4 said, there are people that have succeeded in dumping the 3DS firmware onto RAM and running it, so the next steps are to come. It's most likely possible, but Nintendo is more aggressive with their system updates this time around, so it might present a challenge.

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless a CFW or other software solution surfaces, there is pretty much no doubting the fact that a flashcard for the 3DS will exist some day. Whether that day be within the months, in a few months, years, or even decades away is yet to be seen. Every relatively popular device gets hacked nowadays, phones, consoles, handhelds, and unless society comes to an end, you can bet that the 3DS will be no different.

It is worth noting that if a software solution arises that allows the execution of homebrew from the SD slot, there would be next-to-no reason to own a flashcard except for piracy.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Best answer: Not now, sometime in the future. The only thing that's been done is RAM hacks. It'll take much more than that to make a 3DS-mode flashcard. And then we need to make some kind of way to code for its processor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?