WiiUmmFii all Wii U services back and reloaded

El_Misterioso

CIA Agent
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

WiiUmmFii is cancelled thanks to all who say: You can't do it, now I will create WiiUvement, Achievements for WiiU with a future partnership with Pretendo.

Last edited by El_Misterioso,
Reactions: Moon164

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why would anyone make an alternative for THAT?
Watch the trailer: A thousand of promises even the top devs at Pretendo wouldn't manage to get working (for example making Netflix apps & co work again (and better than ever before), so breaking Netflix DRM, doing better than Netflix developers itself and stuff like that) but at the same time telling developers are needed. So I guess there has been zero investigation how freaking much work all of this would take (like Pretendo is in the works since years, still unfinished).

If investigations have been made it should be clear that this will either take 10+ years or one needs to pay a lot of developers to work on this fulltime. So what's the plan? Is there a millionaire behind the project or any kind of crowdfunding? The trailer doesn't answer any of that.

Just watched till the end: HTML, C# and JavaScript devs are wanted? Why? Will they get payed? Why no assembly skills needed while gcc can't fully utilise the Wii Us CPU but a lot of the telled things will be performance critical? Why no reverse-engineering skills neede when closed-source apps should get new features?
Also why does the video tell an URL at the end but it's so fast one can't write it out but at the same time it's not linked in the OPs post?

Last: Who's "the team"? Anyone we would trust when making such promises in the team?

All that said I think this is some kind of late aprils fool.

XDeltaOne

Have a good time ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Watch the trailer: A thousand of promises even the top devs at Pretendo wouldn't manage to get working (for example making Netflix apps & co work again (and better than ever before), so breaking Netflix DRM, doing better than Netflix developers itself and stuff like that) but at the same time telling developers are needed. So I guess there has been zero investigation how freaking much work all of this would take (like Pretendo is in the works since years, still unfinished).

If investigations have been made it should be clear that this will either take 10+ years or one needs to pay a lot of developers to work on this fulltime. So what's the plan? Is there a millionaire behind the project or any kind of crowdfunding? The trailer doesn't answer any of that.

Just watched till the end: HTML, C# and JavaScript devs are wanted? Why? Will they get payed? Why no assembly skills needed while gcc can't fully utilise the Wii Us CPU but a lot of the telled things will be performance critical? Why no reverse-engineering skills neede when closed-source apps should get new features?
Also why does the video tell an URL at the end but it's so fast one can't write it out but at the same time it's not linked in the OPs post?

Last: Who's "the team"? Anyone we would trust when making such promises in the team?

All that said I think this is some kind of late aprils fool.
The problem is that they probably do that in sleep. And probably can work 24 hours and even faster than Sonic.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We should rather support Pretendo. :)
True. :)

BTW: I forgot one question at my post above, thanks for reminding me: Why start from scratch instead of joining Pretendo? I'm sure Pretendo devs will love the new developers joining and also adapt the new ideas from this trailer when there are at least PoCs available.

XDeltaOne

Have a good time ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
True. :)

BTW: I forgot one question at my post above, thanks for reminding me: Why start from scratch instead of joining Pretendo? I'm sure Pretendo devs will love the new developers joining and also adapt the new ideas from this trailer when there are at least PoCs available.
I agree with them, that would make more sense. ;)

Reactions: Aadyngamer
Trophies
XP
Why start from scratch instead of joining Pretendo?
Agreed, starting from scratch trying to achieve something that's already being worked on just seems a bit counter intuitive, I completely agree with you here as Pretendo has already seen very decent progress as I used it in Beta and it seemed to be coming along quite nicely.
Why no assembly skills needed
Why no reverse-engineering skills neede when closed-source apps should get new features?
This is exactly what I was thinking, in my experience of reverse engineering Wii U applications you need to know your way quite well around Assembly (I learned this by me and a friend cracking paid mod clients for Minecraft Wii U) And honestly PPC Assembly can be.. a royal pain, I don't even understand it fully and I've been learning it non-stop for the last few weeks lol. But yeah Reverse-Engineering should have been top of the list in the first place as to even do ANYTHING they'd need to first understand almost everything about Ninty's servers, where they go, how they operate.. etc, which to do in the first place would require reverse engineering. (also good point with the Netflix claim, thinking about this I don't see this as anything that could likely be done as you'd have to patch actual instructions in the App itself either manually or via API to get it to connect to Netflix servers, since as I understand it, it was hosted via Nintendo, then just forwarded.)
Agreed. I actually joined the OPs group when I got an invitation just because I was genuinely curious about what it was, but I honestly don't see this project going anywhere. Pretendo on the other hand has already shown promise and progress.
HTML, C# and JavaScript devs are wanted?
HTML and JS seems understandable, but why C#? In my experience the Wii U goes heavy off of C++ or C, what use would C# be? Lol

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
also good point with the Netflix claim, thinking about this I don't see this as anything that could likely be done as you'd have to patch actual instructions in the App itself either manually or via API to get it to connect to Netflix servers, since as I understand it, it was hosted via Nintendo, then just forwarded.
That's a good point from your end. :) What I meaned was different through: They don't want to bring the Netflix (and other) apps back to live only but want to extend it ("apps wil have great updates and new features" and stuff like that).

//EDIT: So they basically want to reverse-engineer apps like Netflix back into sourcecode, then add new features and stuff.

//EDIT²: But yea, the important question might really be why not just join the pretendo team? Why basically s**t on Pretendo devs heads, telling all the work they did last years is useless? Why not just help them finishing their goals, then add these new features and stuff on top?

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: BaamAlex
Trophies
XP
That's a good point from your end. :) What I meaned was different through: They don't want to bring the Netflix (and other) apps back to live but want to extend it ("apps wil have great updates and new features" and stuff like that).

//EDIT: So they basically want to reverse-engineer apps like Netflix back into sourcecode, then add new features and stuff.
Makes more sense, and understandable as well. How would one even extend Netflix? Doing so would require access to more than just a forwarder for their app. To other people think of it like this.. All the Netflix app is, is just your Monitor, it requests information and displays it without having physical in-app access to it. For example (using Netflix as the example for obvi reasons) The only thing in-app it has is basically just the UI, it gets everything from Netflix server side, even just caching the images from the server, none of this information is local for obvious reasons (yohoho) So.. to the "devs" of this project I ask you, how do you plan to improve features you can't even touch? :rolleyes:

Edit: I realize that web apps (which give no local access to files) CAN be cracked in a way to get files, make mirrors, etc.. But this would run into HUGEEEE legal claims especially with something as big and active as Netflix. Gonna use a past project of mine as an example.. Take the link " http://quarky.cf/ " it's an online hosted client for Minecraft: Wii U. But what's that? It has restricted access to even the / directory? Well after some fiddling around and my friend managing to get some past files, we're now working on decrypting the files and hosting mirrors of it ;) Possible, but lots of work is required in addition to risk from legal action

Last edited by Deleted member 571007,

El_Misterioso

CIA Agent
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Makes more sense, and understandable as well. How would one even extend Netflix? Doing so would require access to more than just a forwarder for their app. To other people think of it like this.. All the Netflix app is, is just your Monitor, it requests information and displays it without having physical in-app access to it. For example (using Netflix as the example for obvi reasons) The only thing in-app it has is basically just the UI, it gets everything from Netflix server side, even just caching the images from the server, none of this information is local for obvious reasons (yohoho) So.. to the "devs" of this project I ask you, how do you plan to improve features you can't even touch? :rolleyes:

Edit: I realize that web apps (which give no local access to files) CAN be cracked in a way to get files, make mirrors, etc.. But this would run into HUGEEEE legal claims especially with something as big and active as Netflix. Gonna use a past project of mine as an example.. Take the link " http://quarky.cf/ " it's an online hosted client for Minecraft: Wii U. But what's that? It has restricted access to even the / directory? Well after some fiddling around and my friend managing to get some past files, we're now working on decrypting the files and hosting mirrors of it ;) Possible, but lots of work is required in addition to risk from legal action
That's a good point from your end. :) What I meaned was different through: They don't want to bring the Netflix (and other) apps back to live only but want to extend it ("apps wil have great updates and new features" and stuff like that).

//EDIT²: But yea, the important question might really be why not just join the pretendo team? Why basically s**t on Pretendo devs heads, telling all the work they did last years is useless? Why not just help them finishing their goals, then add these new features and stuff on top?
My original idea was an Archivement System for Wii U but I thinked this not was sufficient, and I create WiiUmmfi, but I will Return to my original idea, Wii U Archivements, Archivements in Wii u games thanks to inverse enginerring and I will contact with pretendo Team to add this archivement System to pretendo, for don't Start in 0

Trophies
XP
And what's the reason? If i may ask?
pretty sure it's obvious atp lol, no research was put into the project at all - and the only source they had to get devs was to ask if any here would join them. Since literally no information was actually given on where to start any of this, kinda expected that it didnt go anywhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: