WiiUmmFii all Wii U services back and reloaded

HowGoodandBadcaniBe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though this project is cancelled, would it still be possible to get Netflix to work on Wii U?
I dont think we'll be able to play movies but it would still be cool to be able to browse the Netflix UI on Wii U, for messing around

Last edited by HowGoodandBadcaniBe,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
would it be possible to at least do 480p?
That would be widevines lowest trust level. We reached this on other platforms but we did that by copy-pasting properitary binaries by google (widevine from chromedev to KODi boxes and stuff like that). The issue here is that no such binaries exist for PowerPC, so nothing to copy...

Or at least be able to browse the Netflix ui on Wii U?
That should be possible, yea. Can't see why a developer would waste time on it through.

HowGoodandBadcaniBe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be widevines lowest trust level. We reached this on other platforms but we did that by copy-pasting properitary binaries by google (widevine from chromedev to KODi boxes and stuff like that). The issue here is that no such binaries exist for PowerPC, so nothing to copy...

That should be possible, yea. Can't see why a developer would waste time on it through.
Would changing the user agent do anything?
(Like Xbox 360 or PS3) those consoles are PowerPC so maybe it could work? I never understood so well how Widevine worked.

And about browsing the UI, wouldn't the way to get it to work be similar to GiveMiiYouTube? (That skips that check done on the Nintendo server, so it can access the service) And idk I think it would still be cool to browse the Netflix UI on Wii U, even if nothing plays.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would changing the user agent do anything?
In terms of the DRM? No.
(Like Xbox 360 or PS3) those consoles are PowerPC
That's a pretty interresting point. Is Netflix still working on Xbox 360 and/or PS3 today? If so we might indeed be able to copy binaries from there... ^^ Don't get excited yet through, if anything this would be a project needing months if not years to get completed.
about browsing the UI, wouldn't the way to get it to work be similar to GiveMiiYouTube?
A good question, too. I guess that something like that could work... At the other side it seems you're able to browse netflix.com with the Wii Us web browser (+ maybe manually updated ca-certs?) just fine, so I still don't think this will gain developer interrest.

HowGoodandBadcaniBe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 still works for Netflix the last time I checked. Not sure about the 360 though.
I tested them and they both work.
PS3 goes up to 1080p, although the 360 seemed like it only went up to 720p.
(PS3 was with WiFi, 360 with LAN since it's one of the old models)
iirc, I think Netflix on Wii U was able to stream 1080p video.
Post automatically merged:

That's a pretty interresting point. Is Netflix still working on Xbox 360 and/or PS3 today? If so we might indeed be able to copy binaries from there... ^^ Don't get excited yet through, if anything this would be a project needing months if not years to get completed.

Ok here's something interesting, so I dumped the files of the Netflix app (with Dumpling, on Aroma) and in the folder that stores some images (in content/data/resources/img) I found the ABXY button icons for Wii U, but interestingly there's also the button icons for the PlayStation and Xbox versions of Netflix. Yea its just icons, but it might mean they re-used code from the PlayStation and/or Xbox versions of Netflix.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Korozin my old friend and @HowGoodandBadcaniBe thank you both for your replies. As said before: If anything such a project will take months to years to complete (given the relative small manpower the Wii U scene has). Still I'll try to look into this ASAP (so in one to two weeks. Am a bit distracted by real live atm).
PS3 goes up to 1080p, although the 360 seemed like it only went up to 720p
Doesn't matter at all cause as said: If anything we'll be able to gain widevines lowest trust level only. This means SD (480p) max and software decoding only (cause why should google trust the hardware decoder in the lowest trust environment?). Anyway, thanks again for the heads up. :)

HowGoodandBadcaniBe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As said before: If anything such a project will take months to years to complete (given the relative small manpower the Wii U scene has). Still I'll try to look into this ASAP (so in one to two weeks. Am a bit distracted by real live atm).

Doesn't matter at all cause as said: If anything we'll be able to gain widevines lowest trust level only. This means SD (480p) max and software decoding only (cause why should google trust the hardware decoder in the lowest trust environment?). Anyway, thanks again for the heads up. :)

Hi, has there been any progress in getting Netflix on Wii U? (At least something like UI or movie previews loading) just curious :)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
has there been any progress
No. I'm currently working on other things and to my knowledge also no other dev looked into it yet.

As said before: Wii U scene is relative small and we all have our priorities. I don't even have a Netflix account, so for me priority of this is pretty low.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Huh... This reeks of dumb Mexican Teenagers thinking they're hotshot programmers because they just learned to use Excel in Middle School. God that takes me back to my youth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y