Homebrew WiiSX RX - A new fork.

Deleted member 533457

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
New release is up! (2.6)

[2.6 - July 03, 2022]
* V-Sync is now activated. (thanks xjsxjs197!)
* Adjust some button shortcuts for entering the Menu.
Specially useful for people who use alternative classic controllers or
adapters that connect to the Wiimote, such as the DualShock 2, arcade
joysticks, NES and SNES Classic controllers, etc., some of which don't have
a Home button to return to the emulator's main menu.
* UStealth support.
* Wii 480p video fix. [Extrems]
* More 3rd party controllers support. [Tantric]
Fix 3rd party classic controllers that don't send calibration data.
For those controllers, use default values.

Your mileage may vary, but these 3rd party controller adapters also work now:
zbiArU0.jpg

Tested 100% with some rounds in Mortal Kombat Trilogy.
Should I use it instead of the 2022 mod?

Reactions: SaulFabre

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Should I use it instead of the 2022 mod?
At this point they complement each other. If you want asian languages on the menu, then you need 2022. Compatibility differs, but sound is specially different in all games, as it is a bit high-pitched/faster in _2022, and will 'feel' kind of strange. Depending on your familiarity with the games, you can quickly spot it. Popular examples would be Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games, with the announcers/special powers/music sounding accelerated. I'm sure that given the dev's motivation it will be corrected sometime in the future, at his/her own pace.

So, as always, it's up to your preferences. I use both, and _2022 for a pair of games that aren't yet covered and I like to play without going to my PS2.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pardon the noob question but, Wii 480 fix is only for when setting 480p resolution on either Wii or vWii correct? Is this to fix/prevent the weird scaling that vWii is known for?

Glad to see an active release from you @niuus !
Cheers!
480p fix is only for wiis, since nintendo screwed up on 480p on the wii, vwii doesnt need the fix since it was fixed by nintendo themselves, the scalling has nothing to do with the fix.

Last edited by pedro702,

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice this is thrilling news! Definitely going to use both forks to get the most out of my Wii.

Particularly looking forward to ape escape with the right sound pitch.

Will this build with the same stuff as 2022 fork? Saw a lot of discussion about building that one so I think I can do it, but then I’d like to contribute to this too

Specifically I want to try adding different “return to” code so that I can return to Wii menu after entering WiiSXRX via a forwarder channel. I think this will go particularly nicely when using the single ROM loader technique so that my whole PS1 library will show up on USB Loader GX and each game will load with the right settings (frame skip, controller mapping, etc.)

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Nice this is thrilling news! Definitely going to use both forks to get the most out of my Wii.

Particularly looking forward to ape escape with the right sound pitch.

Will this build with the same stuff as 2022 fork? Saw a lot of discussion about building that one so I think I can do it, but then I’d like to contribute to this too

Specifically I want to try adding different “return to” code so that I can return to Wii menu after entering WiiSXRX via a forwarder channel. I think this will go particularly nicely when using the single ROM loader technique so that my whole PS1 library will show up on USB Loader GX and each game will load with the right settings (frame skip, controller mapping, etc.)
Contributions to code are always cool.

Pardon the noob question but, Wii 480 fix is only for when setting 480p resolution on either Wii or vWii correct? Is this to fix/prevent the weird scaling that vWii is known for?

Glad to see an active release from you @niuus !
Cheers!
Copying info from various sources to explain to you and everyone that stumbles around here. What's the famous 480p fix?

There’s a problem with the original Nintendo Revolution SDK that affects every piece of 480p software ever released on the Wii.

The exact problem is the way the SDK “talks” to the AVE-RVL chips on the I2C bus inside the Wii, causing certain images to be displayed wrong. Essentially, its a “translation” problem when going from digital to analog on the output, a DAC configuration issue.

This is why there is a subtle image quality difference between early Wii models and newer models, the latter giving a sharper output than others. The fix, discovered by the highly skilled and known developer Extrems, allows older models to output 480p with the same quality than newer models, but each and every homebrew needs to be recompiled or patched.

So if you have one of the Wii models with revisions: RVL-CPU-01, RVL-CPU-20, RVL-CPU-30, and some RVL-CPU-40, (apparently some RVL-CPU-60 may still use the old C8391/C4991 AVE-chips instead of the fixed BU99 AVE-chip), this fix is 100% relevant to you.

The vWii weird video scaling is just the console being sucky with quality, as it has always been the case with all non-Wii U software running on it. A factory problem.

HDMI mod Wii Dual bypasses the I2C bus and ignores all AVE-RVL configuration, so you will be fine with or without the fix.

Thanks to user matt! we have some good pictures of it. The following info is taken from his original post:

The situation appears to the user as
- original: graphics are not pixel-aligned horizontally
- fixed: graphics are pixel-aligned horizontally

Here are some photos (fixed/original) of my 640x480p LCD displaying Mario Kart Wii both with and without the 480p fix. This is great because the 1:1 pixel output allows you to see the differences at a sub-pixel resolution.

It's best if you download full size photos and compare them in an image viewer rather than your web browser.

Places to look for differences
1. e of Channel (less anti-aliased in fixed version)
2. inside the a of Back (less anti-aliased in fixed version)
3. glasses frame on my Mii (frame is solid single pixel in fixed version, original is spread over two pixels)
4. Ms of Main Menu (better defined in fixed)

Extrems original (before/after) checkerboard image (click to view 1:1):

Last edited by niuus,

Deleted member 533457

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
At this point they complement each other. If you want asian languages on the menu, then you need 2022. Compatibility differs, but sound is specially different in all games, as it is a bit high-pitched/faster in _2022, and will 'feel' kind of strange. Depending on your familiarity with the games, you can quickly spot it. Popular examples would be Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games, with the announcers/special powers/music sounding accelerated. I'm sure that given the dev's motivation it will be corrected sometime in the future, at his/her own pace.

So, as always, it's up to your preferences. I use both, and _2022 for a pair of games that aren't yet covered and I like to play without going to my PS2.
I'll install both (Like Wii64 and Not64). :)

Reactions: niuus

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
New release is up! (2.7)

[2.7 - July 22, 2022]
* Update CDrom
Last minor update before changing around the compatibility.
Makes some extra games boot with BIOS without the need to use HLE exclusively.
(Resident Evil 2 - Dual Shock Ver., Pocket Fighter, etc.)
* The settings file is now named settingsRX.cfg, so other forks don't overwrite it.
You can rename you current settings.cfg or just quickly create a new one inside WiiSXRX.
* Readme updates

This should be the last update with the same known compatibility so far. Next two releases will change things and boot some other games already reported in the past, like Destruction Derby, but will probably break some others, so you can go back to these versions if there are games that boot here but won't when the 3.0 fusion is done.

Last edited by niuus,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
New release is up! (2.7)

[2.7 - July 22, 2022]
* Update CDrom
Last minor update before changing around the compatibility.
Makes some extra games boot with BIOS without the need to use HLE exclusively.
(Resident Evil 2 - Dual Shock Ver., Pocket Fighter, etc.)
* Readme updates

This should be the last update with the same known compatibility so far. Next two releases will change things and boot some other games already reported in the past, like Destruction Derby, but will probably break some others, so you can go back to these versions if there's are games that boot here but won't when the 3.0 fusion is done.
Thanks a lot @niuus for another update :)

For be honest, first time i played a videogame was in PS2 of a friend, and on the first era of 3D gaming i played N64 (on emus) but also PS1 (on emus but also real system of somebody). Basically, PS1 along with PS2, N64, and Wii are my childhood.

I will test some games with this version, specially those ones you mentioned that now work with official BIOS files, instead of that fr*ck*ng HLE.

Take your time for do the next updates, we will wait ;)

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
seems niuus was needing abit of inspiration from the other fork to keep working on this xD Glad to see he got active on this too.
Having people not flood the issues section and also the thread with requests for features and fixes for games (which I specifically told not to do), while I just chill and drop the old code back to new releases, it's certainly refreshing. Now the incessant requests for CDDA, CHD and 240p is off my shoulders.

Also not having that infamous bastard posting whatever random nonsensical comparisons between pc emulators and WiiSXRX is a bonus. B-)

Last edited by niuus,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Also not having that infamous bastard posting whatever random nonsensical comparisons between pc emulators and WiiSXRX is a bonus. B-)
I think you're referring to that very annoying user that spammed out GBAtemp, GitHub, and even Discord.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Bonus builds: experimental PS1 Multitap support (vmartinv), auto-enabled by default. Tested compatible games are listed on a TXT inside the zipped file. If it is not listed, then it's untested. If you can report back more games which work with 3 or 4 players, let us know in the thread.

A full list of games with Multitap use can be found here.

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Bonus builds: experimental PS1 Multitap support (vmartinv), auto-enabled by default. Tested compatible games are listed on a TXT inside the zipped file. If it is not listed, then it's untested. If you can report back more games which work with 3 or 4 players, let us know in the thread.

A full list of games with Multitap use can be found here.
exelent thanks

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I just updated and first game i try (klonoa door to phantomile) gets DSI exception error screen after like 3 seconds of running. This game used to play correctly on previous versions.

Sogun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Now the incessant requests for CDDA, CHD and 240p is off my shoulders.
Does that mean that we can display 240p with the last update? How can we do that?

I see there is a "Video mode = 0" line in the settings.cfg (now settingsRX.cfg) but I can't find any info explaining what does what and what settings we can change.
Is there a link or a readme file I'm missing or it hasn't been explained anywhere.

Many thanks for your contributions. Your dedication is always appreciated.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Does that mean that we can display 240p with the last update? How can we do that?

I see there is a "Video mode = 0" line in the settings.cfg (now settingsRX.cfg) but I can't find any info explaining what does what and what settings we can change.
Is there a link or a readme file I'm missing or it hasn't been explained anywhere.

Many thanks for your contributions. Your dedication is always appreciated.
not at all lol, all niuus is saying is now the beggars are barking at another tree xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol