Homebrew WiiSX RX - A new fork.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And to clarify, that's largely goes to be an OEM thing (HP in this case) since even the Q67 chipset used by your PC actually supports USB 3.0 and, from what I can tell, even the board itself has a USB 3.0 header for front-panel connections... which HP of course decided to not include.
I've never checked if it has a USB 3.0 header, but in software there's no xHCI USB3 controller when listing the devices with "lspci" :(

Edit: the Q67 doesn't have USB 3.0 following the specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52812/intel-q67-express-chipset.html

Code:
root@pc1:~# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b4)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev b4)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Q67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]

The "USB Enhanced Host Controller" are EHCI = USB 2.0.

Considering the capacities, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those use much newer flash which means much less reliable since nowadays anything that isn't low-end tends to be provisioned for pro stuff, SSDs, or non-budget phones and tablets. In other words, consumer SD cards and flash drives tend to get the lowest of low-binned flash memory which also means expect TLC or even QLC which itself also automatically also means small manufacturing nodes as well.

Therefore it's actually extremely possible that any SD card made in the last 10 years is automatically going to be less reliable than those made over 10 years ago, and the difference gets even more dramatic if you only look at standard entry-level consumer SD cards from the last 5 years or so.

Just remember, speed and performance =/= flash memory reliability as a lot of that has to do with the controller, not the flash memory cells themselves. Also I think flash memory made on smaller nodes may be able to perform faster since I think they take less voltage to change state, but don't quote me on this.
That's a good point :) Old cards of 2GB and 4GB which I have are still working fine. Even the 256MB card form my first digital camera still works :O But the newer cards die faster, a 32GB card even died in my smartphone within 2 years :(

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think my theory of "USB 3.0 was too new" is correct then because there are definitely even Intel-branded Q67 motherboards with USB 3.0:

This is farther proven by comparing the spec list between 6 series and 7 series chipsets (the latter of which was also socket LGA1155):

In other words, USB 3.0 was so new that it seems that it wasn't integrated into the chipset itself and required additional silicon and therefore cost to include it on a motherboard.

...or Intel being their usual segmenting selves decided to intentionally hold back on supporting USB 3.0 directly in the first gen 6-series chipset so that the 2nd gen "refresh" 7-series motherboards that would launch along-side Ivy Bridge would have some sort of differentiation to the prior generation outside of out-of-the-box support for Ivy Bridge CPUs (again, remember that they're both LGA1155 and both chipsets support the same CPUs as long as the BIOS is updated). Or maybe I'm just a bit cynical

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In other words, USB 3.0 was so new that it seems that it wasn't integrated into the chipset itself and required additional silicon and therefore cost to include it on a motherboard.
These boards has a downside that most of the time the USB3 ports on the extra chip don't have legacy support e.g. if you accidentally connect a keyboard to it, you can't use it to access the BIOS and storage devices connected to these port being not bootable.

My sister have a self-build i7-2600 PC containing a board with USB3 outside the chipset and it took a lot of time to figure out why she can't get into the BIOS to change boot order back then :mellow:

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
These boards has a downside that most of the time the USB3 ports on the extra chip don't have legacy support e.g. if you accidentally connect a keyboard to it, you can't use it to access the BIOS and storage devices connected to these port being not bootable.

My sister have a self-build i7-2600 PC containing a board with USB3 outside the chipset and it took a lot of time to figure out why she can't get into the BIOS to change boot order back then :mellow:
I Personally would buy a SanDisk SD card and don't go for a Micro SD with adapter just get a normal SD no issues if you've managed to break 2 SD cards then it's either something your trying to copy over or using some cheap Cards which are probably not the size they say they are

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

Reactions: SaulFabre

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I Personally would buy a SanDisk SD card and don't go for a Micro SD with adapter just get a normal SD no issues if you've managed to break 2 SD cards then it's either something your trying to copy over or using some cheap Cards which are probably not the size they say they are

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk
These card were Kingston cards, bought in a big computershop. Not cheap cards from online sellers.

Reactions: NestorM

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
@niuus

Hi there niuus, i just implemented a bit of code for fix the controller detection issues with WiiSX RX (specially when in autoboot ROM mode), it is based in @Extrems' code for fix the controllers detection issue in Not64 v20210817, here i opened a pull request for that:

https://github.com/niuus/WiiSXRX/pull/25

Hope this can be integrated to a new version of WiiSX RX soon.

@SaulFabre

EDIT: Pull request was closed, @Extrems told me that fix i try to add will not work, but i'm not sure why.

Last edited by SaulFabre,
Reactions: ber71

SkyShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Hello niuus, I was recently trying to play rockman x4 on WIISXRX and one sad thing that i noticed is the absence of cutscenes, i could play megaman x collection on the ngc but then the mega manx4 intro and cutscenes are terribly lackluster compared to the japanese ones. Is this an emulation issue ? Is it an anti piracy measure ? If not will it be fixed in the future ? Or is there a patch that could fix it right now ? I hope you understand and thank you.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hello niuus, I was recently trying to play rockman x4 on WIISXRX and one sad thing that i noticed is the absence of cutscenes, i could play megaman x collection on the ngc but then the mega manx4 intro and cutscenes are terribly lackluster compared to the japanese ones. Is this an emulation issue ? Is it an anti piracy measure ? If not will it be fixed in the future ? Or is there a patch that could fix it right now ? I hope you understand and thank you.
Hi SkyShade. It could be fixed in the future with the backported updates, but i just don't do game-specific fixes, as stated in the Github page.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hi there @niuus

Well, i saw in this thread that Ape Escape is now playable on WiiSX RX, as shown:
Some news... been having some fun backporting fixes to the WiiSX RX code... /not :nayps3:

New games working:

Ape Escape
PaDy5Oh.jpg

Destruction Derby
whnTrze.jpg

Mega Man X6
khXiUc9.jpg

Resident Evil 2 games don't need no stinkin' HLE no more :lol: (save states are now working too for this title!)

Stay tuned.

But when i went to try this game with WiiSX RX 2.5, the game loads fine but after a few seconds it crashes (freezes / hangs) after passing the DUALSHOCK controller notice.
(I already have configured WiiSX RX for use Analog DualShock controller).

Tried messing with the BIOS settings (i just put the Load BIOS from HLE to SD) and also enabling booting from BIOS but i didn't have luck.

Any help, or i'm missing something important (any setting, etc)? :(

I'm trying to play the USA version of Ape Escape by the way.

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^I assumed that was running on Wii U because I tried Ape Escape on my Wii and had no luck either. It would hang right after the dual shock screen. before starting the intro at all. And I think that's just what WiiSXR did too, before this fork was available.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi there @niuus

Well, i saw in this thread that Ape Escape is now playable on WiiSX RX, as shown:

But when i went to try this game with WiiSX RX 2.5, the game loads fine but after a few seconds it crashes (freezes / hangs) after passing the DUALSHOCK controller notice.
(I already have configured WiiSX RX for use Analog DualShock controller).

Tried messing with the BIOS settings (i just put the Load BIOS from HLE to SD) and also enabling booting from BIOS but i didn't have luck.

Any help, or i'm missing something important (any setting, etc)? :(

I'm trying to play the USA version of Ape Escape by the way.
preety sure that is part of the update niius has that wasnt released already and doesnt work on current wiisxrx versions.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
preety sure that is part of the update niius has that wasnt released already and doesnt work on current wiisxrx versions.
Oh, yikes :(

Then I still have to wait for WiiSX RX 2.6 or any other new version... :( I can't wait
I'm interested in play it since it's one of the fun PSX games.

^^I assumed that was running on Wii U because I tried Ape Escape on my Wii and had no luck either. It would hang right after the dual shock screen. before starting the intro at all. And I think that's just what WiiSXR did too, before this fork was available.
@niuus didn't use a Wii U (i think).
@pedro702 told that he showed it with the "experimental" build of the update of WiiSXRX 2.6 (i think?)

Reactions: Kirby6417

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having issues running this overclocked on my Wii U. Running the latest version. 2.5 using the forwarder channel and .dol file on github. Emulator boots up fine when at normal clock speed but when I run sign_c2w_patcher before loading the emulator, it hangs after the Wii title screen after clicking on the forwarder channel. I can't even force the console off by holding the power button. Have to pull the plug out the back. For perspective sign_c2w_ patcher works great with Wii64 and im able to play problems games at full speed so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anybody able to help?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Having issues running this overclocked on my Wii U. Running the latest version. 2.5 using the forwarder channel and .dol file on github. Emulator boots up fine when at normal clock speed but when I run sign_c2w_patcher before loading the emulator, it hangs after the Wii title screen after clicking on the forwarder channel. I can't even force the console off by holding the power button. Have to pull the plug out the back. For perspective sign_c2w_ patcher works great with Wii64 and im able to play problems games at full speed so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anybody able to help?
your fowarder for wiisx doesnt not have the ability to overclock, any title that doesnt have the overclock ability built in will crash.

need a new forwarder with overclock.

MatioMania

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I been messing around with WiiSX RX, Nice

I'm using a USB External HDD

Final Doom stuck on Loading
Street Fighter Collection 1 & 2 don't load at all
Alpha 2 Don't load
Raystorm - Hangs at the Loading Screen (have to Power off)

Anyways, Love the Emulator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Purple_Heart, fuck i'm feeling old too