Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Wiimms Mario Kart Fun 2011-11
A Mario Kart custom track distribution

Today I have released my new custom track distribution: Wiimms Mario Kart Fun 2011-11
I'm not author of the tracks, I only collected them to create this distribution. The advantage of a distribution are online meetings: All players use the same track base.

It is released as ISO Patcher (including a Riivolution generator). The patcher is based on my ISO and SZS tools.
  • NTSC and PAL versions of Mario Kart Wii supported.
  • Japan version should also work (never tested).
  • The patcher runs on Linux, Mac and Windows.
  • English and german text substitutions.
  • 32 custom tracks and 10 custom battle arenas.
  • Texture hacks of 30 driver & vehicle combinations.
For details see: Wiimms Mario Kart Fun 2011-11 (Custom Track Wiiki)

* Download: mkw-fun-2011-11.7z (58 MB)

secretchaos1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, according to the updates on this release you've changed the region data for online mode. Is that so that the game will only search up people on the same region channel for when we do wifi, thus online can only access other people on the same region and in theory with the same tracks set? Just asking out of curiousity because I believe I saw something like that on youtube the other day for riivolution users or something.

Wiimm

Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Some hackers found how to change the region for online playing. MrBean use it first in his CTGP distribution (Riivolution only). In my new distribution it is also implemented.

The theory is: If you enter versus continental/regional (but not battle!) you will meet only people with the same region. I haven't announced it yet, because I want to make more tests with it.

A problem might be, if any other people using randomly the same region id.

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Wimms:

I tried to use your script, but I get an error. Do you know where/how to get the missing file?

]###############################################################################

########## View possible [RMCP01] sources ##########
###############################################################################

file disc split
type ID6 N filename
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIA/WII RMCP01 - ./Mario Kart Wii.wia

########## Remove working dir ##########

########## Extract files of source [RMCP01] ##########

wit: Wiimms ISO Tool v2.02a r3240 i386 - Dirk Clemens - 2011-11-25

14 objects scanned, 1 directory and 1 supported file found.
wit: EXTRACT 1/1 WIA:./Mario Kart Wii.wia -> ./patch-dir/
- will extract 2111 files of 1 partition, 1146 MiB total
1353 MiB copied in 9:45, 2.3 MiB/sec

########## Patch file './patch-dir/files/rel/StaticR.rel' ##########

* Set region ID to 0x70 (=112)
wstrt: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try it out later looks sweet but I do have a question. If this change in region to say is to allow us to play with other people consisting of the same tracks woundn't Nintendo be able to identify our consoles and ban us? also how will it know that they are using the same game?

Wiimm

Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
@nunavat2010
You haven't installed libpng, or only an old version. My tools are linked against libpng to support image conversions.

@kylster
Using an own region is very young (some weeks) and until now I haven't heard something bad about it. But it is still experimental. Nintendo may follow may identify our consoles, but they can also do it following the custom forums or watching/controlling the routes in private rooms. I play custom Mario Kart online since February 2010 (21 month) and I know nothing about any bans.

I think, Nintendo knows and see what we are doing. And some custom tracks are very innovative and creative. And taking this ideas is much cheaper than paying for it. So they acquiesce (correct word?) in custom tracks.

secretchaos1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, that's what I figured. Is there anyway Ninty would track and ban us for doing this? I know Mario Kart is one of the few games they actually monitor the online play of, and I've already gotten a ban appealed from them once so I really don't want to risk it happening again.
I'll probably sit out of the online bit until it's been tested in that regard as well.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for a new version, works perfectly fine as always, now my fav lap is finally there, mushroom city! Well its for some reason day, it should be night but it will be patched for sure :P

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a chicken in terms of concerns of online bans for playing a modded game, but this looks so incredible that I'll have to try it.
I would only play in friend rooms with friends that also have this, so I hope that will be safe enough.

Thanks for putting this together and I look forward to one day seeing a compilation for complete GCN and SNES tracks.

Regards.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more question:

If I choose to use a common save file between MKF and the original MKW, will my save file be modified in any way, or will it still be able to function properly on the original Mario Kart Wii?

I just tried it and my save file is fine, so no worries there.
Some of those tracks are amazing...

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the game with custom tracks installed, and my game tester played it. Some custom tracks look very nice. Can somebody elaborate me the "on-line" mode of MK?
Did a quick search could not figure it out.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday Torran has released an update of mushroom city, with one day and one night version.
I'm sorry for asking this late but is the update already applied to the patch on the 1st post?

Do you have your previous MK patches available online somewhere for some who may want to play other versions? I know the recent is probly the best but I like to pick and choose with friends like I do with the other 12 versions of NSMB LoL thanks in advance.

Wiimm

Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
No, and it is not planned. The main goal of my distributions is to play online against friends (I do this twice the week). After release it must be stable as possible, because playing with different tracks (more than texture changes) may freeze the game. The night version has other updates too and is now candidate for the next distribution.

Because of online playing I exchange only 10-15 tracks in new distributions: We want not miss the best tracks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: This one is pretty epic.