Hacking WiiFlow Lite

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, done testing the same games with EmuNAND on SD. With the exception of Castlevania Adventure Rebirth which requires USB/neek2o, all titles are working without issues.

I have a question if you can recall which method you used to build your EmuNAND?
1. ModMii
2. WiiFlow Lite
3. USB Loader GX
4. Other
@worm28

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, done testing the same games with EmuNAND on SD. With the exception of Castlevania Adventure Rebirth which requires USB/neek2o, all titles are working without issues.

I have a question if you can recall which method you used to build your EmuNAND?
1. ModMii
2. WiiFlow Lite
3. USB Loader GX
4. Other
@worm28
I used a bootmii nand dump that i extracted with showmiiwads

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a bootmii nand dump that i extracted with showmiiwads
Never tried that myself, interesting.

I think at least a few different factors could come into play for everyone not to experience the same identical compatibility, NTSC/PAL region differences being one.

I assume you are using PAL region Wii by looking where you uploaded the grim fandango cover earlier, you live in Europe somewhere, correct?

And this could be my own isolated experience but i truly believe using GX is the best/most stable way to extract NAND for EmuNAND use. I believe using WFL is the 2nd best option and all other options should be avoided. Again this is only my personal experience but is tried, tested, true.

Edit: @worm28 , i got you confused with someone else from a different thread referring to an image uploaded from Europe, sorry about that.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,
Reactions: cheloruiz79

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RunningSnakes @fledge68 Yes, I can confirm that with v5.5.4 beta2 all the neek only games (N64 VC, Konami rebirth series etc.) from my emunand on SD are no more working (blackscreen).
Testing further on my end with SD, using 5.5.4 test build 2...

Castlevania Rebirth = not working. This game has never been playable for me using SD. It requires me to use USB forcing neek2o.

Contra Rebirth = working. All settings at default (do not force neek2o).

Gradius Rebirth = working. All settings at default (do not force neek2o).

N64 games i have not tested, please remind me which are problematic and i will test. I think Majora's Mask is one of these but not positive of the others.

Millertime2325

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a hard time getting Mario Tennis 64 to work. I tried to change up some of the cIOS settings - I think the wiki said it was supposed to have a certain setting changed but I'm not sure if I had it set up properly. I think I'm on the latest version so I'm not sure if this is related to what you guys are talking about exactly but figured I'd mention it.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@RunningSnakes @fledge68 hmmm I think I may have an issue in my setup.
I tried again today and all of the games are working.
Castlevania Rebirth
Contra Rebirth
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Yoshi's Story
All games settings are set to default, except 'launch with neek2o' is ON.
But then more crazy stuff happened. My HDD has a led on top indicating activity. Very useful to see if it's freezed or not.
I noticed that my USB HDD was always loading, even if I change the emunand partition to SD and launch the game. I have the same folder names for emunand on SD and USB, but with different games inside. So, when I change partition I can really see that I'm on SD because the Total game count changes.
I don't how this can happen (bug?) but I went further, so I tried to set Wiiflow to 'SD Only' and launch the games.
Now the light doesn't blink anymore. In every sense.
Neek2o games are not working, eternal blackscreen.
The "normal" games are launching from SD, though, like Nebulus (C64), Megaman 10 (Wiiware) and Gaplus (VC Arcade).

Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Thanks for your continued efforts fledge, so much appreciated. I will install asap.
Post automatically merged:

Tested 5-6 plugins, all working 100. Tested ScummVM since it is known to be problematic, happy to report it is working fine in limited testing.

I have not tested GC, PS1 or others with DISK(C) etc ...but everything seems to be golden so far.

Thank you @fledge68 for this update, WFL people get to eat some cake!

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RunningSnakes @fledge68 hmmm I think I may have an issue in my setup.
I tried again today and all of the games are working.
Castlevania Rebirth
Contra Rebirth
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Yoshi's Story
All games settings are set to default, except 'launch with neek2o' is ON.
But then more crazy stuff happened. My HDD has a led on top indicating activity. Very useful to see if it's freezed or not.
I noticed that my USB HDD was always loading, even if I change the emunand partition to SD and launch the game. I have the same folder names for emunand on SD and USB, but with different games inside. So, when I change partition I can really see that I'm on SD because the Total game count changes.
I don't how this can happen (bug?) but I went further, so I tried to set Wiiflow to 'SD Only' and launch the games.
Now the light doesn't blink anymore. In every sense.
Neek2o games are not working, eternal blackscreen.
The "normal" games are launching from SD, though, like Nebulus (C64), Megaman 10 (Wiiware) and Gaplus (VC Arcade).
interesting problem. it seems that whenever neek2o is used it boots and launches the game from USB HDD even though you have the emunand set to use SD. when using SD only the usb hdd is not mounted so therefore neek2o freezes on black screen. I wonder if this is a WFL issue or a neek2o issue. WFL issues would be - not finding neek2o on SD or sending the wrong device/path to neek2o.

upon quick check i see if neek2o kernel is on USB and SD - WFL will always find the one on USB first. with SD only it should find the "sd:/sneek/kernel.bin". unless it doesn't exist.

C++:
bool Load_Neek2o_Kernel()
{
    bool ret = true;

if(IsOnWiiU())
        Kernel = fsop_ReadFile("usb1:/sneek/vwiikernel.bin", &kernelSize);
    else
    {
        Kernel = fsop_ReadFile("usb1:/sneek/kernel.bin", &kernelSize);
        if(Kernel == NULL)
            Kernel = fsop_ReadFile("sd:/sneek/kernel.bin", &kernelSize);
    }
    if(Kernel == NULL)
        ret = false;

return ret;
}

Last edited by fledge68,

klonoa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
latest v5.5.4 build on github crashes whenever i quit to system menu. but it returns back to homebrew launcher without any issues.
i never had this problem since my years of using wiiflow lite, possibly a bug?

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello! This might be the right place to ask the following:

I updated WiiFlow to v5.5.4 via Homebrew Browser. I have a couple of games on SD and a few on a USB pen drive. Enabled the (new, I think?) option in WiiFlow that makes it look for games on both. They now all appear in the coverflow view. Nice!

When I first launched a game as usual, all was well. But since then, launching any game, from SD or USB, gives a black screen for a few seconds followed by a drop-back to the Homebrew screen (I set the option to exit to there).

However, I find I can launch all games no problem from the 'file explorer' (accessed from WiiFlow's 'home' icon button).

So I can launch games, but not from the coverflow interface. What could be the cause, and fix? Many thanks :)

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello! This might be the right place to ask the following:

I updated WiiFlow to v5.5.4 via Homebrew Browser. I have a couple of games on SD and a few on a USB pen drive. Enabled the (new, I think?) option in WiiFlow that makes it look for games on both. They now all appear in the coverflow view. Nice!

When I first launched a game as usual, all was well. But since then, launching any game, from SD or USB, gives a black screen for a few seconds followed by a drop-back to the Homebrew screen (I set the option to exit to there).

However, I find I can launch all games no problem from the 'file explorer' (accessed from WiiFlow's 'home' icon button).

So I can launch games, but not from the coverflow interface. What could be the cause, and fix? Many thanks :)
Update cache, system/plugin/sources/add games/covers and repport

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Had done that -- it does not fix the problem.

Not sure what you mean exactly? I did notice that one cover does not get downloaded... would be surprising if that caused the issue.

cheers
And if you disconnect usb ? Does it work ?
Don't know if usb stick is much compatible with wiiflow on wii

Last edited by jul16ares,

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks jul16ares.

Switched off Wii, disconnected usb, switched Wii back on, launched WiiFlow, updated cache, tried to launch games. Same result as before.

For a clean slate: deleted WiiFlow, deleted WiiFlow memory block from Wii system menu, deleted remaining WiiFlow files on SD card (via PC). Reinstalled WiiFlow. Now some games work (when launched both from coverflow and from file explorer), but some don't. They all launched before I did the WiiFlow update.

Noticed that my cIOS settings were different than those recommended on wii.guide/cios, so adjusted them. No change in results.

However I'm now thinking that when I did the WiiFlow update, it was when I got the internet connection working, and then I also updated the Wii firmware from the system menu - seemed logical from a 'latest is best' point of view. But it seems this may cause disfunctions? It's at v4.3e now, not sure what it was before (perhaps it was that already).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it