Hacking Wii U pad with vWii?

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've uploaded a video for people who haven't or aren't updating because of this. Here's what it looks like: snip
This is really odd. There were only three titles changed (according to wiimpersonator), the manual (doesn't affect jack), the system menu (shouldn't be running once homebrew starts), and IOS59 (which like no homebrew uses).

On the topic of using the Wii U pad with vWii, we clearly have some sort of channel now. It seems likely that this capacity was added to IOS59, which is interesting for two reasons: 1) this IOS was historically only used for Dragon Quest X (and could only be found on that disk), and 2) it is the only IOS with a WFS module (the custom file system used for Dragon Quest X). This makes me think that the communication with the Wii U pad may be related to WFS and/or the Wii U may use WFS for it's filesystem in general. Of course, this doesn't totally make sense I not every title will use IOS59, so it is possible that the functionality was added at a higher level like some sort of Wii U hypervisor that is running all the time, but I didn't think that was how vWii worked (I thought it talked to the graphics hardware directly).

Also worth noting, IOS59 only has one unique component (which I believe is only responsible for the WFS stuff), and since no other IOS versions changed, it is likely that is the only component with any updates. Dumping this module and looking at it (especially how the new version differs from the one on the Dragon Quest X disc) would be interesting.

Reactions: OriginalHamster

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii homebrew still works but it's getting squished for some reason. On both the GamePad and the TV, any Wii homebrew (even Wii games started through homebrew like USB Loader GX) are rendered in 16:9 widescreen then squished to 4:3 and displayed with black bars on the sides. :/

Damn, I hope that can be fixed/circumvented somehow :wacko:

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE! This only happens when you start things from the Homebrew Channel.

I started USB Loader GX from a forwarder channel and it wasn't squished. When I start it from the Homebrew Channel it is squished.

Reactions: Maxternal

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend is currently using my Wii U to play Wind Waker HD but I'll test out some emulators later. I assume if I start it through the Homebrew Channel it will be displayed incorrectly unless you manually change the emulator to output 4:3.

I've been hearing conflicting reports of both 16:9 and 4:3 based of how the system settings are configured. Team Fail told me that some games will force it, others don't. Not gonna update until we know the cause of this, it sounds like some weird side effect.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it sounds like this is something that could be corrected in the hombrew channel probably the wii emulator applications. I am assuming if you launch cracked wiiware or VC stuff from the dashboard that it runs in 16:9 like it should?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it sounds like this is something that could be corrected in the hombrew channel probably the wii emulator applications. I am assuming if you launch cracked wiiware or VC stuff from the dashboard that it runs in 16:9 like it should?

Hard to say for sure. Homebrew Channel will likely need an update from the hackmii people, whether or not they know about it remains to be seen.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am updating regardless of the 4:3 bug as I would rather have gamepad support on vWii rather than potentially not having it if Nintendo releases a homebrew killing update then not being able to update without losing homebrew.
the bug will eventually get fixed, and forwarders seem to work for the most part. that's good enough for me considering everyone assumed it was impossible to use the gamepad for vWii offscreen play until this update, and I would not want to risk losing the chance to have homebrew+offscreen play over an incorrect aspect ratio.

if you really want a correct aspect ratio, play all homebrew and games in 4:3 or have your TV stretch the picture to the correct aspect ratio if you have a TV that can do that.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am updating regardless of the 4:3 bug as I would rather have gamepad support on vWii rather than potentially not having it if Nintendo releases a homebrew killing update then not being able to update without losing homebrew.
the bug will eventually get fixed, and forwarders seem to work for the most part. that's good enough for me considering everyone assumed it was impossible to use the gamepad for vWii offscreen play until this update, and I would not want to risk losing the chance to have homebrew+offscreen play over an incorrect aspect ratio.

if you really want a correct aspect ratio, play all homebrew and games in 4:3 or have your TV stretch the picture to the correct aspect ratio if you have a TV that can do that.

Yeah, considering that it was thought to have been impossible, pretty impressive it runs in vWii mode (which to my understanding, has access to less RAM, about 40 MB or was it 64)? And it will be fixed eventually, but forwarders seem to bypass it just fine, and there's also the stretch option too :P Download ETA, keeps dropping connection, glad it can be resumed though :D

Aardvark Barber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know right, too bad emulators are forced into 4:3 now. I still need to find out if people have been able to circumvent this and use 16:9. Don't like 4:3 :unsure:

Yep. All you have to do is install forwarders for the emulators you want to run. They'll run properly in 16:9.

It seems to be a problem with the homebrew channel exclusively.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. All you have to do is install forwarders for the emulators you want to run. They'll run properly in 16:9.

It seems to be a problem with the homebrew channel exclusively.

Too bad RetroArch doesn't have a forwarder. Using USB Loader GX seems to have a built in homebrew app load, which also bypasses it. Not a big fan of Snes9x GX but Snes9x Next better, but uh, more on that somewhere else. ;)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun