Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Still waiting for the kernel becuase i got some info that with kernel we might easily get the gamepad buttoms working on vwii, which means if the emulator is coded to read those button inputs in the background we could use the gamepad to play games and see the screen in vwii :P

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still waiting for the kernel becuase i got some info that with kernel we might easily get the gamepad buttoms working on vwii, which means if the emulator is coded to read those button inputs in the background we could use the gamepad to play games and see the screen in vwii :P
We're already able to see vWii on the gamepad.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
We're already able to see vWii on the gamepad.
use the buttoms and see vwii ... the point is to use the gamepad as a controller and screen, getting the buttons to work means every wii app ever made will be semi portable, right now the gamepad is just a vwii tiny screen you still have to use other controllers.

the kernel will enable us to read the button presses from the gamepad in vwii wich we cant right now and all you have to do is to add those reads to the emulator of your choice like an extra controller.

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
use the buttoms and see vwii ... the point is to use the gamepad as a controller and screen, getting the buttons to work means every wii app ever made will be semi portable, right now the gamepad is just a vwii tiny screen you still have to use other controllers.

the kernel will enable us to read the button presses from the gamepad in vwii wich we cant right now and all you have to do is to add those reads to the emulator of your choice like an extra controller.

Just as a side-question but how big is the controller storage (if any at all)? Plus is it re-flashable in any way? Would be nice to hack it and put a tiny Linux on it or something :ha::ha::ha:

(Just kidding of course)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just as a side-question but how big is the controller storage (if any at all)? Plus is it re-flashable in any way? Would be nice to hack it and put a tiny Linux on it or something :ha::ha::ha:

(Just kidding of course)
No idea but the kernel would just allow us to have the gamepad reads on the background i highly doubt you could code vwii to send any signal to use any Gamepad memory, one thing is to read signals the gamepad sends in the background and transform those into button inputs another is to acess the gamepad lol.

Last edited by pedro702,

TopazPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I just thought of, related to my other question several pages back:
"What is the difference between Disc Wii games and Eshop Wii games?"
If (Not Confirmed, Speculation) the only difference is how much memory is allocated, and how many cores are used (in other words, the Wii U doesn't "dumb itself down" to emulate the Wii), then what if we could change the way the Wii U loads into the vWii so that it has more resources, resulting in a more powerful "Wii" that could have HD output and High Quality textures? This would be amazing!
Also, has anyone looked at how the Wii U boots into vWii in detail? Is it possible to change what resources it has, or change the output quality? I can't look at it myself, so I would appreciate if someone could give me some info.

Reactions: Gruntzer

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Uh, that's not correct at all. Wii games implement a Bluetooth driver, which talks to the Bluetooth hardware over USB using IOS. It is theoretically possible to patch IOS to fake a Bluetooth controller and make it pretend that Gamepad input is Wii Remote input, but that's a huge and unreasonable amount of work. You'd have to basically implement DRC communication inside IOS, emulate the whole Bluetooth controller interface, and make IOS's USB driver use that instead. The Cafe OS kernel has nothing to do with this.

One thing I just thought of, related to my other question several pages back:
"What is the difference between Disc Wii games and Eshop Wii games?"
If (Not Confirmed, Speculation) the only difference is how much memory is allocated, and how many cores are used (in other words, the Wii U doesn't "dumb itself down" to emulate the Wii), then what if we could change the way the Wii U loads into the vWii so that it has more resources, resulting in a more powerful "Wii" that could have HD output and High Quality textures? This would be amazing!
Also, has anyone looked at how the Wii U boots into vWii in detail? Is it possible to change what resources it has, or change the output quality? I can't look at it myself, so I would appreciate if someone could give me some info.

This is something I wanted to look into, but couldn't, because my 5.3.2 Wii U has no eShop Wii games and updating would make me lose the browser exploit. However, I think it's unlikely that the Wii game is able to use more cores. They likely trapped all IOS calls and implemented them on the PPC (that's my guess).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Uh, that's not correct at all. Wii games implement a Bluetooth driver, which talks to the Bluetooth hardware over USB using IOS. It is theoretically possible to patch IOS to fake a Bluetooth controller and make it pretend that Gamepad input is Wii Remote input, but that's a huge and unreasonable amount of work. You'd have to basically implement DRC communication inside IOS, emulate the whole Bluetooth controller interface, and make IOS's USB driver use that instead. The Cafe OS kernel has nothing to do with this.

This is something I wanted to look into, but couldn't, because my 5.3.2 Wii U has no eShop Wii games and updating would make me lose the browser exploit. However, I think it's unlikely that the Wii game is able to use more cores. They likely trapped all IOS calls and implemented them on the PPC (that's my guess).
im not talking about made him pass as a bt controller for wii games im talking to making it its own reads like adding a way for nintendont to read those button inputs, we dont need to fake BT in homebrew games just add a way for the said emulator to read its signals.

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the fail0verflow's Console Hacking 30c3 2013 page it says, "On top of that, because the Espresso runs at the clock rate of the Wii in vWii mode (and no faster), instruction timings must be identical (or possibly better) in all cases, lest some Wii games run slower on vWii mode than on a real Wii." Does this mean we can manipulate instruction timings in order to make Wii games go faster, or at least any smoother?

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not talking about made him pass as a bt controller for wii games im talking to making it its own reads like adding a way for nintendont to read those button inputs, we dont need to fake BT in homebrew games just add a way for the said emulator to read its signals.

Okay, it would be somewhat easier, then, but still very difficult. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the Cafe OS kernel, since it's all in vWii mode.

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
Hykem has now access to IOSU syscalls (i'm not sure if i should tell this right now but i feel like the rest of you should know.)
With luck, maybe we'll have something graspable tomorrow, such as keys.
Don't deposit your faith in my words, because it might or might not happen. Scene is unpredictable.

EpicLPer

Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Hykem has now access to IOSU syscalls (i'm not sure if i should tell this right now but i feel like the rest of you should know.)
With luck, maybe we'll have something graspable tomorrow, such as keys.
Don't deposit your faith in my words, because it might or might not happen. Scene is unpredictable.
Are you for real now o-O?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I want iosu just for emulators all that juicy wiiu power will make alot of emulators much faster no more slowdowns xD, and before you say that can de made in userspace already, most homebrew devs will never work in userspace, when we get iosu you will see projects appearing until then i dont think we will see any project tbh.

EpicLPer

Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
I want iosu just for emulators all that juicy wiiu power will make alot of emulators much faster no more slowdowns xD
If all the code for an emulator would be perfectly written and made more simpler we wouldn't even get slowdowns on a Wii yet. But that basically goes to anyone who programs stuff and even to extremely big companies. At least most homebrew guys can code better than some companies all together ;P

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey on the Nintendo HDD website it says that the HDD wont work on pc unless it is reformatted. So we wont be able to put WUDs and (future) homebrew apps on the HDD without some extremely complicated process or is there a bypass for that?

EpicLPer

Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Hey on the Nintendo HDD website it says that the HDD wont work on pc unless it is reformatted. So we wont be able to put WUDs and (future) homebrew apps on the HDD without some extremely complicated process or is there a bypass for that?
Well the HDD does indeed have a custom format which it's working with but I think a smart person here will figure that out and write either an emulator or program for it to read ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oh now that is good news