Visit site
XP
Country
TheDarkSeed said:
antwill said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
antwill said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
To me, blu-ray support is a given. It's the current disc standard, and for Nintendo to continue using dvds all the way in 2011/2012 would be archaic. The projector idea sounds a bit iffy, but strange/cool ideas are to be expected with Nintendo, so who knows.
Microsoft still are.

The 360 uses dvd-dl and the console came out years ago anyway.
So? Surely they could have updated with the release of the slim, blu-ray drives are backwards compatible after all.
What would be the point in that if they wouldn't be able to use the drives for both games and as a bd player.
It wouldn't be too good of an investment from a business standpoint.
They did originally do the same with a HD-DVD player or something didn't they? How is that any different?

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
antwill said:
TheDarkSeed said:
antwill said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
antwill said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
To me, blu-ray support is a given. It's the current disc standard, and for Nintendo to continue using dvds all the way in 2011/2012 would be archaic. The projector idea sounds a bit iffy, but strange/cool ideas are to be expected with Nintendo, so who knows.
Microsoft still are.

The 360 uses dvd-dl and the console came out years ago anyway.
So? Surely they could have updated with the release of the slim, blu-ray drives are backwards compatible after all.
What would be the point in that if they wouldn't be able to use the drives for both games and as a bd player.
It wouldn't be too good of an investment from a business standpoint.
They did originally do the same with a HD-DVD player or something didn't they? How is that any different?
360s do indeed have an addon for HD DVD.

@those that say blu ray definately won't be used. Probably true.
BUT, as can be said about the wii, it doesn't use dvd's (but it does use a modified version of it, basically calling it its own hence avoiding paying the patent costs), who is to say they couldn't do the same with blu ray? Same type of discs, same laser etc, just a different way of reading and organising the disc.
And then along comes homebrew which is able to read blu ray videos akin to wiimc playing dvd's (the wii doesn't, remember)

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This whole upgradeable hardware thing? Nintendo has to make it simple, or else the console will flop.
I pondered how best this could be implemented, and one design keeps coming to mind.

Imagine a Rubik's Cube. I know you all know this, but go with me here. It's a 3x3 cube-shaped grid made of smaller cubes. Now then, could Nintendo not make a console in this shape? Each smaller cube is detachable and can be replaced with an upgraded one. Have a RAM cube, a graphics cube, etc etc.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
TehSkull said:
...Each smaller cube is detachable and can be replaced with an upgraded one. Have a RAM cube, a graphics cube, etc etc.
That's the only way such a system would work; if it wasn't, only the tech savvy would use the system and that goes against what nintendo have always done.

I wouldn't be suprised if nintendo went back to carts for games again, the DS/3DS proves profits can still be made using rom chips over optical media.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
An upgradable console? Sounds like a Sega Genesis reprisal; I'm referring to the CD & 32x attachments, etc.
Sounds more like a PC than a console.
I agree. But if we're speaking of a video game console, we're speaking of proprietary software and hardware. PCs usually don't contain such things.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Rock Raiyu said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
An upgradable console? Sounds like a Sega Genesis reprisal; I'm referring to the CD & 32x attachments, etc.
Sounds more like a PC than a console.
I agree. But if we're speaking of a video game console, we're speaking of proprietary software and hardware. PCs usually don't contain such things.
You're right on that. But that fact alone will probably confuse the consumer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill