Wii Successor: "Project Butterfly"?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by EnigmaXtreme, Apr 12, 2011.

1. antwill

antwill Better Than You

Dec 24, 2006
    Australia
    They did originally do the same with a HD-DVD player or something didn't they? How is that any different?

2. Donkey Plonk

Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2011
    360s do indeed have an addon for HD DVD.

@those that say blu ray definately won't be used. Probably true.
    BUT, as can be said about the wii, it doesn't use dvd's (but it does use a modified version of it, basically calling it its own hence avoiding paying the patent costs), who is to say they couldn't do the same with blu ray? Same type of discs, same laser etc, just a different way of reading and organising the disc.
    And then along comes homebrew which is able to read blu ray videos akin to wiimc playing dvd's (the wii doesn't, remember)

3. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    This whole upgradeable hardware thing? Nintendo has to make it simple, or else the console will flop.
    I pondered how best this could be implemented, and one design keeps coming to mind.

Imagine a Rubik's Cube. I know you all know this, but go with me here. It's a 3x3 cube-shaped grid made of smaller cubes. Now then, could Nintendo not make a console in this shape? Each smaller cube is detachable and can be replaced with an upgraded one. Have a RAM cube, a graphics cube, etc etc.

4. The Pi

The Pi Lurker

Mar 18, 2010
    Scotland
    That's the only way such a system would work; if it wasn't, only the tech savvy would use the system and that goes against what nintendo have always done.

I wouldn't be suprised if nintendo went back to carts for games again, the DS/3DS proves profits can still be made using rom chips over optical media.

5. MEGAMANTROTSKY

MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2010
    United States
    An upgradable console? Sounds like a Sega Genesis reprisal; I'm referring to the CD & 32x attachments, etc.

6. Rock Raiyu

Rock Raiyu Clock Up

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    Walking the path of heaven
    Sounds more like a PC than a console.

7. MEGAMANTROTSKY

MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2010
    United States
    I agree. But if we're speaking of a video game console, we're speaking of proprietary software and hardware. PCs usually don't contain such things.

8. Rock Raiyu

Rock Raiyu Clock Up

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    Walking the path of heaven
    You're right on that. But that fact alone will probably confuse the consumer.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted