Wii HD with Netflix coming EARLY next year?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by GolfDude, Oct 29, 2009.

Oct 29, 2009
  1. GolfDude
    OP

Member GolfDude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What I'm hearing is that Nintendo originally planned to bring the Netflix service to the Wii before the end of this year, which still might take place, but that Nintendo is also considering holding off on the Netflix service until they release their next generation Wii HD unit in early 2010.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_busines...-very-soon.html

2. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    maybe that guy is mr nintendo himself. But not having a clue who he is, he's no different than this. watch.

I can confirm Nintendo is coming out with Wii HD on December 29th. It will have a 500gb hard drive in it and boasts a processor which will be on par with the PS3's. It will also up-convert all current gen Wii games to 1080p. I'm not able to disclose who I heard that from at this time, but i'm not lying. If i was, i'd tell you.

3. CIJC

Member CIJC GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    lol, it's true - you can't trust rumours

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    don't need netflix

5. hooovahh

Newcomer hooovahh Member

United States
    I have no rumors to add, or fake rumors to add only opinions (sorry to bring us down)

I have a 360 and I really enjoy netfix. If the Wii got a netflix channel, I think it would benefit Nintendo and Netflix. Technically speaking there isn't a good reason why Netfix isn't on every web enabled device. As long as Nintendo can secure a contact with Netflix I don't see why it won't happen.

I also like the fact that the 360 can stream netflix in "HD" and dynamically change the bitrate based on network speeds. While I doubt the Wii can stream HD, even if they just defaulted to a decent bit rate that would be fine.

If they do release a Wii HD, or a Wii2, I'd be very exited to see what Nintendo has planned, especially for the impact on the Homebrew scene. If they radically changed things, and tried some new ideas I may consider getting the new Wii, but if the next Wii is just the same thing with new wrapping paper I don't think many people will be interested in it. And since the Wii was such a success for Nintendo I doubt they'll try any thing new.

I hope all the money Nintendo is making off of the Wii is going to some awesome development for their next gen.

6. ZenZero

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    Im sorry to burst ur bubble - but all nintys money is going to getting ruddy celebs into adverts

7. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    What I read is :

So it's not yet decided in this article.

Then I found this one :
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/co...m-65960677.html

It states it's coming to PS3 next month, unlimited access for less than 9$ a month.

8. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Look at what happened to the PS2 , it is still selling more or less.
    In a way that might have hold back the PS3 even tho it was in a different price category.

Now take a look at the whole gameboy to DS lite sale's Nintendo doesn't kill of their money flow that way.

So no to HD Wii and there is no one at Nintendo that cares about netflix. Nintendo is the only company that doesn't promote their system for multimedia usage while others do.

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    This is a joke. If they were releasing the new Wii in literally a few months, we'd know.

We've got at least 3 big titles for the Wii in Q1 2010, for USA at least: Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, and Sin and Punishment 2. Not to mention odds are we'll get the newest Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, and The Grinder. You really think Nintendo would screw all their big titles by releasing a new system? No. There's no swan song for the Wii yet, and if there was one, I'll bet it's the latest Zelda.

People, stop it with these false rumors. Unless it says from a reliable source that the new Wii is coming in this year or that year, don't post it.

10. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It's possible the Wii could get Netflix streaming, but it will never be HD. The Wii can not output at anything more than 480p widescreen.

11. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I heard the new Wii was better then HD, beacuse it did full 3D in the living room. It doesn't even need a TV, it just projects the images from the top of the unit into mid-air.

Seriously people.... Does this have to happen every single year with these stupid rumors? A true next gen Wii won't be out until holiday 2011 at the earliest, and I would say even 2012. They were going to release an upgraded Wii that had HD output, but decided that it wasn't needed (wouldn't have changed graphics capabilities, would have just upscaled like an hdmi dvd player does) and shelved it.

12. r9delta

Banned r9delta Banned

United States
  13. Nightstalker

Member Nightstalker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How is that backwards compatibility? It's more like foward. lol

14. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

but nintendo has always been reliable, windows 7 would break that streak

15. osirisFIVE

Member osirisFIVE GBAtemp Fan

Singapore
    I honestly do wonder where all that money Nintendo's making from the sale of the Wii is going though.
    R&D on games? Please. Those things make up like 5% of all the revenue... Where's the dynamic effeciency Nintendo?!