Why is the Nintendo fanbase like *vaguely gestures* this?

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
This is something that I keep seeing pretty much only within Nintendo fans, and it's quite an intriguing phenomenon to me.

I'll keep it as brief as possible: A lot of you seem to shit on whatever Nintendo does/announces/releases/says/whatever, acting like Shinya Takahashi murdered your families and consumes babies on breakfast - at the same time continuing to financially support the company whenever they blast out a new title.

My question is - what is this shit for? Wouldn't it be easier to just find another company to provide enterainment for you?
And if you want to play Nintendo games so badly, why not just pirate that shit and shut up? It smells of hypocrisy in here and just finding more reason to gawk on the internet about how you are robbed, as if that new Switch game is something you need to live.

I'm not defending Nintendo here but at least I don't spend fortune on their products and endlessly cry on the internet about their practices. Please grow up

amusingmuse22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I totally get where this is coming from, but even as someone with very little "love" for either Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft, I feel like people should rant about the mere existence of the MK 1 Switch port.

It shouldn't exist and those who pre-ordered it should be refunded and signed apologies should be mailed to them

Reactions: KiiWii

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
I totally get where this is coming from, but even as someone with very little "love" for either Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft, I feel like people should rant about the mere existence of the MK 1 Switch port.

It shouldn't exist and those who pre-ordered it should be refunded and signed apologies should be mailed to them
except my post wasn't even remotely just about the Switch-era bitching. the fanbase would rip and tear Iwata apart for terrible indie support during 3DS/Wii U era, the infamous Muppet-style Direct before we know what, and many other (rightful or not) complaints during that era -- now the fanbase is bitching about lotta indies on Directs and the likes

so i'm just wondering why not just quit paying bucks to Nintendo for what they think is dogshit quality products? Ironically the same type of people boast about "voting with their wallet"... smells like hypocrisy

Reactions: HalfScoper

captain_obvious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to make impassioned posts about Nintendo online then I grew up. For me personally it was because I enjoy their games the most but this makes anything which reduces the quality of their games frustrate me more.

Here are some examples. Super Mario 3D All-Stars. The compilation is fun to play but it could have been much better, especially in Super Mario 64. Widescreen support, 60FPS, 1080p, better audio quality and higher resolution textures would have made the game feel much better to play. Link's Awakening DX runs at an unstable 60fps which frequently drops all the way down to 30 and you need a massive overclock to fix it. Then there's always the issue that they always use outdated hardware which makes games look unsightly on modern displays. Who has a 900p monitor?

I bought and still do buy their games anyway with some exceptions like Metroid Prime: Federation Force. I still think some of their games have quality issues but it doesn't frustrate me as much as it used to. And I still think that porting Wii U games to the Switch without giving anything to those who bought said games on the Wii U was a dick move.

Last edited by captain_obvious,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
so i'm just wondering why not just quit paying bucks to Nintendo for what they think is dogshit quality products? Ironically the same type of people boast about "voting with their wallet"... smells like hypocrisy
And who said that they are paying to Nintendo? You can get a second-hand Switch, you can emulate it on a whole bunch of devices, and rumor has it it is possible to run Nintendo games without paying for them but that is just a rumor. In any case you don't have to give any money to Nintendo in order to talk (complain) about their products and games, or even to play them in order to know what you're talking about (we all know this part is completely optional on the internets).

This forum doesn't represent the average Nintendo customer, there is a huge sampling bias towards grumpy obsessive types. In any valid market survey, this whole site would be thrown out as statistical outliers.

And even if the entire forum decided to boycott Nintendo, it wouldn't make a single scratch on the sales numbers, and wouldn't sway Nintendo's outlook in the slightest.

And the problem with "voting with your wallet" is that you can only vote "for" or "abstain" and "lack of purchase" is much harder to notice than a purchase, especially when a million other people are tripping over themselves to throw money at you.

tl;dr: Nintendo "fanboys" are salty that Nintendo has left them behind in order to cater to Nintendo's actual customers.
There is no contradiction there.

Reactions: duwen and SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And who said that they are paying to Nintendo? You can get a second-hand Switch, you can emulate it on a whole bunch of devices, and rumor has it it is possible to run Nintendo games without paying for them but that is just a rumor. In any case you don't have to give any money to Nintendo in order to talk (complain) about their products and games, or even to play them in order to know what you're talking about (we all know this part is completely optional on the internets).

This forum doesn't represent the average Nintendo customer, there is a huge sampling bias towards grumpy obsessive types. In any valid market survey, this whole site would be thrown out as statistical outliers.

And even if the entire forum decided to boycott Nintendo, it wouldn't make a single scratch on the sales numbers, and wouldn't sway Nintendo's outlook in the slightest.

And the problem with "voting with your wallet" is that you can only vote "for" or "abstain" and "lack of purchase" is much harder to notice than a purchase, especially when a million other people are tripping over themselves to throw money at you.

tl;dr: Nintendo "fanboys" are salty that Nintendo has left them behind in order to cater to Nintendo's actual customers.
There is no contradiction there.
You've got a very good point there. I've been there in the Wii scene where a bunch of wannabe "fanboys/fangirls" were dropping a bunch of twt/X like drama; doxxing, harassment, spreading malware, all sorts of terrible things.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
I play games because they are fun and that's all that matters. I buy games based on how I feel about them in trailers or reviews. For example, I am itching to buy Star Ocean day one on the Switch. I don't often buy Nintendo games, mostly just Xenoblade but I am open to buying Mario Wonder since It's been a while since I played a Mario game. Last I finished to completion is World.
Post automatically merged:

except my post wasn't even remotely just about the Switch-era bitching. the fanbase would rip and tear Iwata apart for terrible indie support during 3DS/Wii U era, the infamous Muppet-style Direct before we know what, and many other (rightful or not) complaints during that era -- now the fanbase is bitching about lotta indies on Directs and the likes

The fanbase is toxic especially here in temp. It doesn't really matter though because it is such a small sample size. If everyone in temp, reddit, twitter boycott Nintendo games, Nintendo will still sell millions of units.

I think the reason why it's toxic here is because this is a piracy related site though they ban piracy links here but it is what it is. I've been here since the DS/3DS days and have been active especially during the 3DS modding days and everyone shits on Nintendo especially their stance against emulation. They are not wrong though, emulation always leads to piracy, just look at the Switch. Even though Deck heads have this insurmountable amount of hate against Nintendo, at the end of the day, they still come back to playing Nintendo games. I guess piracy just made everyone entitled.

Last edited by ertaboy356b,

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
I used to make impassioned posts about Nintendo online then I grew up. For me personally it was because I enjoy their games the most but this makes anything which reduces the quality of their games frustrate me more.

Here are some examples. Super Mario 3D All-Stars. The compilation is fun to play but it could have been much better, especially in Super Mario 64. Widescreen support, 60FPS, 1080p, better audio quality and higher resolution textures would have made the game feel much better to play. Link's Awakening DX runs at an unstable 60fps which frequently drops all the way down to 30 and you need a massive overclock to fix it. Then there's always the issue that they always use outdated hardware which makes games look unsightly on modern displays. Who has a 900p monitor?

I bought and still do buy their games anyway with some exceptions like Metroid Prime: Federation Force. I still think some of their games have quality issues but it doesn't frustrate me as much as it used to. And I still think that porting Wii U games to the Switch without giving anything to those who bought said games on the Wii U was a dick move.
I mean, criticism is always valid and I won't hide I have my own issues with Nintendo and how they handle things (cough cough paid online and how lifeless the Switch is) - but I also think people take their bitter thoughts too far and make it their entire personality to complain about whatever N does, even if it's not that bad (so many remakes! where's the new stuff??/where are the remakes you want to kill my fave franchise!!!)

It gets tiring that the fanbase can't have a spark of joy, and if someone happens to enjoy something they deem bad, they're labeled a fanboy. And as I said, it's not something that started in Switch era - the bitching and gawking is something that has been happening for decades already, and it's frustrating that there's no space where the complainers aren't the majority. Or at least, not as loud as pretty much elsewhere.

The bitching isn't only exclusive to Temp, it's something I've been seeing in many other spaces way before I even knew about this forum's existence
Yelling at others that they dare to enjoy new plumber game isn't gonna do shit to the sales either.
I play games because they are fun and that's all that matters.
based
The fanbase is toxic especially here in temp. It doesn't really matter though because it is such a small sample size. If everyone in temp, reddit, twitter boycott Nintendo games, Nintendo will still sell millions of units.
true that, but again - at the very end it's still making life harder for those who just want to find other fans of the same series or something
I think the reason why it's toxic here is because this is a piracy related site though they ban piracy links here but it is what it is. I've been here since the DS/3DS days and have been active especially during the 3DS modding days and everyone shits on Nintendo especially their stance against emulation. They are not wrong though, emulation always leads to piracy, just look at the Switch. Even though Deck heads have this insurmountable amount of hate against Nintendo, at the end of the day, they still come back to playing Nintendo games. I guess piracy just made everyone entitled.
Pirates bitching about quality of a game they didn't pay for are funny. Same level as the ones who infinitely go into the circle of buying and complaining, this is why I think they need to find a spark of joy in their life or just another company to provide fun for them
Post automatically merged:

I feel like I need to reiterate this again before people cast stones at me - I am not going to bend over and defend Nintendo for the sake of defending - especially when they pull out crazy shit like aforementioned paid online (while apparently the server quality didn't get much better) or sucking out all the life out of the Switch (maybe it's just me being petty, who knows) or even their fucking inability to put their OSTs on Spotify or something; but rather pay attention to the fact a great part of the fanbase bitches about literally every decision of theirs and it's now disturbing others who just wanna have fun.

IDK, personally being labeled as a fanboy because I happened to like something they made in the past few years is a bit toxic and crazy, innit?

Last edited by Deleted member 672055,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Depending on the person, Nintendo gets automatic love or hate on internet, this is it. On real life there are more shades, it's not just black and white.

Saddly, piracy nowadays is something for the tech savvy, so most families have to choose something that will do to everyone in their home. Nintendo is often that, It can please the little kid and the gramps.

Who live in this love or hate situation with Nintendo are people thinking individually, buying (or earning from mom) things just for itself, and those are the minority. That's what I believe is the picture here.

Reactions: etuev

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The bitching isn't only exclusive to Temp, it's something I've been seeing in many other spaces way before I even knew about this forum's existence
And are those other places actually representative, or are they wretched hives of scum and villainy too?

This was your initial point:

A lot of you seem to shit on whatever Nintendo does/announces/releases/says/whatever [...] at the same time continuing to financially support the company whenever they blast out a new title.

To which I responded, why do you think those who support and those who criticize are the same people?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We can criticize whoever we want if they make really shitty decisions, your point doesn't really make any sense.

etuev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking from experience I used to be a major major Nintendo fanboy. To the point that I used to go on forums and spend a lot lot of time defending Nintendo (during Wii U/3DS era and very early Switch era). Nowadays I'm not really a fan of any of Nintendo/Xbox/Sony to that unhealthy extent. From my own experience, I was using this company and their output as an excuse to distract myself from my very real life problems. I'm in a much better place now and after having healed I realised just how stupid what I was doing was.

Nintendo can most definitely be annoying and frustrating as a company. They do terrible things as companies do. They don't give a shit about us whatsoever. But people need to just move on regardless of what they think of the games. If you like the game, cool, play it then and don't spend your time defending it from people online. If you don't like the game, ok that's fine, then spend your time on things you do like instead. It's easier to just accept things sometimes and move on. It helps to remind myself that the haters and fanboys are a tiny terminally online minority. Most people just play their Mario Kart and Smash Bros for a little fun by themselves or with family/friends, enjoy the moment, and then move on with their day. As opposed to whining about whether Switch 2 has 12431 Sringbobs or 20431 Sringbobs in it's SoC.

I do cringe a bit more at the Nintendo fanboys that feel the need to defend Nintendo at every turn online though. Just a little more than the detractors. Maybe that's just my bias though having been one of them. I know the goalpost shifting, genuine anger and upset that you feel when "your team isn't winning". It's glorified console wars.

Really though, the Nintendo haters and fanboys both 2 sides of the same coin in that they're people that are very much controlled by their irrational obsession with a company that simply makes interactive entertainment. Could be for any reason, maybe they made up a lot of their childhood, are trying to distract themselves etc...

it is what it is. Personally I am not really enjoying Nintendo's output these days, but I can maybe find a few things I enjoy in their first party lineup. But I'm not gonna start crying about it online because life goes on. Maybe I'll like their stuff in the future again, maybe not. Plenty of other games and things to do anyway!

Last edited by etuev,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
Depending on the person, Nintendo gets automatic love or hate on internet, this is it. On real life there are more shades, it's not just black and white.
I have yet to see the legendary swarms of Nintendo defenders online.
As for real life, can't speak much. Everyone I knew who played Nintendo stuff was decently happy, but that was during 3DS' reign.
Saddly, piracy nowadays is something for the tech savvy, so most families have to choose something that will do to everyone in their home. Nintendo is often that, It can please the little kid and the gramps.
Emulation in most cases is as easy as a few clicks. Can't speak on other cases, I've never pirated shit on consoles besides the 3DS, and that's only because it's gotten better and more noob-friendly over the years.
To which I responded, why do you think those who support and those who criticize are the same people?
And why wouldn't they be? This is especially visible with the Pokemon fans - GameFreak launches an unfinished buggy mess - people complain, hope next entry will be better.

You will never guess what! GameFreak churns out another buggy mess, and you got people repeat the process again, mentioning oh how the previous titles were also a buggy mess.

We can criticize whoever we want if they make really shitty decisions, your point doesn't really make any sense.
If you bitch for the sake of bitching and that's the only thing you do then maybe just ignore the company, don't interact with their games even via piracy and find something else to do?

Do you think bitching (not criticizing, as criticism implies both positives and negatives) is more productive than finding a new hobby?

Nintendo can absolutely, 100% be annoying and frustrating as a company. But people need to just move on regardless of what they think of the games. If you like the game, cool, play it then and don't spend your time defending it from people online. If you don't like the game, ok that's fine, then spend your time on things you do like instead. It's easier to just accept things sometimes and move on. It helps to remind myself that the haters and fanboys are a tiny terminally online minority. Most people just play their Mario Kart and Smash Bros for a little fun by themselves or with family/friends and move on with their day. As opposed to whining about whether Switch 2 has 124 Skibblybobs or 20 Skibblybobs in their SoCs online.
Oh the specbros truly are a gift to this world, huh? They I think didn't get the memo that Nintendo isn't a company that is known for bringing out the strongest hardware with a krillion pixels screen, a CPU with another krillion skabadoos per second and a GPU that outdoes a supercomputer. If they look for a hardware dick-measuring contest, the PC zone is the other way lol

I just feel the complainers make it their entire personality to complain and make a mountain outta a molehill sometimes

etuev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As for real life, can't speak much. Everyone I knew who played Nintendo stuff was decently happy, but that was during 3DS' reign.

Emulation in most cases is as easy as a few clicks. Can't speak on other cases, I've never pirated shit on consoles besides the 3DS, and that's only because it's gotten better and more noob-friendly over the years.

And why wouldn't they be? This is especially visible with the Pokemon fans - GameFreak launches an unfinished buggy mess - people complain, hope next entry will be better.

You will never guess what! GameFreak churns out another buggy mess, and you got people repeat the process again, mentioning oh how the previous titles were also a buggy mess.

If you bitch for the sake of bitching and that's the only thing you do then maybe just ignore the company, don't interact with their games even via piracy and find something else to do?

Do you think bitching (not criticizing, as criticism implies both positives and negatives) is more productive than finding a new hobby?

Oh the specbros truly are a gift to this world, huh? They I think didn't get the memo that Nintendo isn't a company that is known for bringing out the strongest hardware with a krillion pixels screen, a CPU with another krillion skabadoos per second and a GPU that outdoes a supercomputer. If they look for a hardware dick-measuring contest, the PC zone is the other way lol

I just feel the complainers make it their entire personality to complain and make a mountain outta a molehill sometimes
Go to famiboards or any other site and you'll see Nintendo defenders lol. They definitely exist. If there's haters by definition there needs to be defenders to counter that. If you can't see that, that means you are one of the defenders. Trust me I'd know because I used to think the same, until I realised I was one of them haha
A lot of them do, and it goes both ways. I get the frustration but there's 2 sides to it.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
Go to famiboards or any other site and you'll see Nintendo defenders lol. They definitely exist. If there's haters by definition there needs to be defenders to counter that. If you can't see that, that means you are one of the defenders. Trust me I'd know because I used to think the same, until I realised I was one of them haha
If they're residing in some sort of cliques then no, I won't notice them given I don't socialize even online as of late. If anything... last time I saw any sort of defendership was around the infamous 2015.

etuev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they're residing in some sort of cliques then no, I won't notice them given I don't socialize even online as of late. If anything... last time I saw any sort of defendership was around the infamous 2015.
They're everywhere, I used to be on every website defending their business choices and everything. It's a lot more popular to defend nowadays given people are a lot happier with their output. Go on resetera for example and say something remotely negative in a Nintendo first party topic and you'll get at least 5 quotes rebutting. Maybe 1 or 2 supporting. A good solution would be to stop reading gaming media. then you can avoid the haters and defenders. Gaming media is terrible anyway. If you want to keep up on news just go to temp homepage, read the headlines and articles if you want then dip.

Deleted member 672055

OP
Trophies
XP
They're everywhere, I used to be on every website defending their business choices and everything. A good solution would be to stop reading gaming media. then you can avoid the haters and defenders. Gaming media is terrible anyway. If you want to keep up on news just go to temp homepage, read the headlines and articles if you want then dip.
i came here to make friends with other based 3DS enjoyers, not to have an Ace Attorney simulator every day over a thread :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>"please grow up"
Good idea coming to the gaming forum when people talking about gaming pisses you off, lol.
In all seriousness, most of those who complain or are displeased with Nintendo's current releases don't actually financially support them anymore. As you'll come to notice on this site, we're big on emulation.

In any case, it's not uncommon for fans of a certain company to be passionate about what they like and have discussions about it with others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto