Hacking Who hasn't yet installed arm9loaderhax? Why?

Why?

• Total voters

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not rich enough to afford multiple 3ds consoles and was also nervous about sacrificing my 3ds for improved CFW boot rate and time. I did however hate that I needed Internet to access rxtools cfw (as it was the only one that seemed to work for me) and having an extra partition on my SD so I decided to make the jump to arm9lh. I researched as much as I could and read through each section in the guide multiple times and it worked really well. The only time it went wrong was when I incorrectly used a game cart to update and messed up my system temporarily. So if you work through the guide at a snails pace and keep gbatemp close by for anything you're unsure about you will be ok.

If you are ok with where you are at with emunand + cfw then you don't HAVE to make the switch but know that arm9lh is far superior once installed and that the community will always favor arm9lh now because of that
And don't forget you'll be added to the list. @Queno138 :)

I didn't install AL9H because I'm extremely paranoid.

While I'm okay with downgrading a unit for the first time (because getting emunand+CFW, and all my normal downgrades have succeeded so far),
there are too many things that can go wrong with AL9H setup.

And no matter how many people may argue it is safer now,
even if I follow the guide to the letter, if some cosmic chance screws it up,

I'm the one that has to live with a $300 brick.

I've been considering, but the risk is too high, especially when I have a system that has a working CFW.
Slightly faster boot time (and considerably awesome boot rate) apparently doesn't outweigh the risks for me.
Most bricks are user error.

And you're actually MORE susceptible to bricks without A9LH because you can't start Decrypt9 on boot to restore a SysNAND backup. If you mess up your SysNAND there's no way to fix it without a hardmod unless you have A9LH.

Last edited by Margen67,

PixelTheKWolf

Memelord Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll admit, it does take quite a long time to get setup, in fact, it took me 2-3 hours, when i thought it would only take 30 minutes to a hour. And that was excluding downloads. I have about 256 kb/s internet that was (Oddly) Upgraded to 500 kb/s, So i guess i got lucky there.. But including downloading times, i would say it just added another 5-10 minutes. But in my opinion, i believe A9LH is worth it in every way. Thats just my opinion though, i understand other people's opinions on it being difficult, if they are lazy, or if they dont want to risk bricking. So, i guess i support both A9LH and non-A9LH users.
I feel like i just typed a documentary....

Reactions: XRaTiX

Joshwraith

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The story for me is simple: I have a few unfinished games, so right now install arm9loader is not a priority , I'm in 10.7 (official) I have set OOT3dhax which I use to access online services (eshop,miiverse, badge arcade) with "ctr-httpwn" and so far is enough, I downgraded once to 9.2 but the boot rate using a cfw and emunad was bad and I decide to go back where I was, I'll stay in 10.7 as longer as I can and when the time is right I will downgrade and try to install arm9loaderhax.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
And don't forget you'll be added to the list. @Queno138 :)

Most bricks are user error.

And you're actually MORE susceptible to bricks without A9LH because you can't start Decrypt9 on boot to restore a SysNAND backup. If you mess up your SysNAND there's no way to fix it without a hardmod unless you have A9LH.

Didn't even know there's a list, you sweet elitist prick!

Don't worry, I'll get it done one day. One day.

Reactions: Deleted User

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm proud of being part of a list of members even if it is derogatory...XD Since I suppose the list is to be taken as a joke of sorts...:P I think...
And I'll also do it one day...

Reactions: Deleted User

Wander's Hat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted it solely because I have an interest in these sort of things. Even when I don't understand it fully in a technical POV, I'm always fascinated by how people are messing with the 3DS security and all. The 3DS homebrew scene is probably the only scene I've regularly looked at, I joined the Wii scene way too late. But back to A9LH. I wanted it because I like messing with my own consoles.

There are many reasons why some don't want A9LH on their consoles. I'll touch on a few including some that I had before I jumped the gun. Lack of experience is a main factor. I don't have full experience with 3DS, but I've had enough to get A9LH running.
There's also the nagging paranoia during the process, which I myself have experienced with installing A9LH on my New 3DS since a lot of my homebrew experience comes from my Old 3DS, and A9LH has a few extra steps to make sure your n3DS doesn't become a brick when installing 2.1. That particularly scares off new 3DS owners since that console has never had 2.1. I also had a partial downgrade happen when I started doing it, which was due to an unstable SysUpdater. That got me shit paranoid, not gonna lie.
Some people may just be happy with their current setup. This wasn't my case, menuhax kept crashing almost every damn time when I was trying to boot into emuNAND. That was my reason for jumping the gun.
And then there's just those who don't have time or are too lazy to do it.

I'd love to see more people using A9LH, but at the same time I sympathise with those who don't want it.

Last edited by Wander's Hat,

kumita-chan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll admit, it does take quite a long time to get setup, in fact, it took me 2-3 hours, when i thought it would only take 30 minutes to a hour. And that was excluding downloads. I have about 256 kb/s internet that was (Oddly) Upgraded to 500 kb/s, So i guess i got lucky there.. But including downloading times, i would say it just added another 5-10 minutes. But in my opinion, i believe A9LH is worth it in every way. Thats just my opinion though, i understand other people's opinions on it being difficult, if they are lazy, or if they dont want to risk bricking. So, i guess i support both A9LH and non-A9LH users.
I feel like i just typed a documentary....
Dafq? Where do you live m8? That was my internet connection in 2001

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I didn't install AL9H because I'm extremely paranoid.

While I'm okay with downgrading a unit for the first time (because getting emunand+CFW, and all my normal downgrades have succeeded so far),
there are too many things that can go wrong with AL9H setup.

And no matter how many people may argue it is safer now,
even if I follow the guide to the letter, if some cosmic chance screws it up,

I'm the one that has to live with a $300 brick.

I've been considering, but the risk is too high, especially when I have a system that has a working CFW.
Slightly faster boot time (and considerably awesome boot rate) apparently doesn't outweigh the risks for me.
Ummmmmm.. If you back up like the guide states, numerous times, a brick isnt the end of the world. There's also far more to it than boot rates and times. Why don't people realize this?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here in Wyoming, they still offer those speeds for an obnoxiously high price.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ummmmmm.. If you back up like the guide states, numerous times, a brick isnt the end of the world. There's also far more to it than boot rates and times. Why don't people realize this?

Here in Wyoming, they still offer those speeds for an obnoxiously high price.

I agree, a brick ISN't the end of the world.
Except I need to send it elsewhere to get it unbricked, and maybe wait a long time before it gets unbricked?

Anyhow, I'm presently setting it up, so chill dem tits.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I agree, a brick ISN't the end of the world.
Except I need to send it elsewhere to get it unbricked, and maybe wait a long time before it gets unbricked?

Anyhow, I'm presently setting it up, so chill dem tits.
They're pretty chilly. Can cool a pot of chili imo.

Holy fuck, I live on a normal Spanish city and the price is quite high, but at least I download at 50MB/s.

That speed at this year must be really annoying.

It is. In rural areas speeds only go as high as 30dn, 60 in select areas.

Up never reaches more than 5...

Reactions: Queno138

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The story for me is simple: I have a few unfinished games, so right now install arm9loader is not a priority , I'm in 10.7 (official) I have set OOT3dhax which I use to access online services (eshop,miiverse, badge arcade) with "ctr-httpwn" and so far is enough, I downgraded once to 9.2 but the boot rate using a cfw and emunad was bad and I decide to go back where I was, I'll stay in 10.7 as longer as I can and when the time is right I will downgrade and try to install arm9loaderhax.
A9LH has 100% boot rate unlike other entrypoints.

PixelTheKWolf

Memelord Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Small town, very crappy telephone company. THEY REFUSE to let ANYOTHER internet provider into our town, i swear to bob i am moving when possible. i am sick of their crap, honestly.

Luanking

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Im glad that I am living in a quite bigger city in German,I wouldnt know what to do with such a low internet speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s