Hacking Who hasn't yet installed arm9loaderhax? Why?

Why?

• Total voters

Hitsuagaya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let's say we followed this guide to the letter https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki and now have just sucessfully finished the Part 3 or 'rednand' part of the guide. Do we need to go onto Part 4 and 5 (i.e. 'Getting the OTP' & 'ARM9loaderhax') TO be able to play roms(backups) and go online with those backed up games? Also if so, how do we go about doing this straight from the end of Part 3 of the guide after having installed and updated rednand.

:) Thanks

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's say we followed this guide to the letter https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki and now have just sucessfully finished the Part 3 or 'rednand' part of the guide. Do we need to go onto Part 4 and 5 (i.e. 'Getting the OTP' & 'ARM9loaderhax') TO be able to play roms(backups) and go online with those backed up games? Also if so, how do we go about doing this straight from the end of Part 3 of the guide after having installed and updated rednand.

:) Thanks

If you're willing to accept your system taking ~30 seconds to boot, and on occasion failing to boot entirely, as well as having a chunk of your SD card occupied by a copy of your NAND, then yes you can stop after part 3.

mokmoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have 2 n3DS'es that i kinda want to install a9lh on. assuming nothing goes wrong on both systems, and assuming that i'm able to do updated sysnand on both, my question is: would i be able to system transfer between the 2 systems like a normal, vanilla N3DS?

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have 2 n3DS'es that i kinda want to install a9lh on. assuming nothing goes wrong on both systems, and assuming that i'm able to do updated sysnand on both, my question is: would i be able to system transfer between the 2 systems like a normal, vanilla N3DS?
Yes.
It is broke. It's unstable, unsafe, unfast, and unfutureproof.
Don't forget that it wastes space on the SD card. :)

Last edited by Margen67,

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why would you need to a transfer in that case?

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm scared of bricking my main 3Ds and I don't really have wifi access for 3 or more consecutive hours. Maybe this Friday or in July...depending on who would be at home and if I don't postpone it again because I'm scared...

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need "wifi access for 3 or more consecutive hours". Download all the things at once, download the guide too, then you can do a lot of things offline (backups, emuNAND downgrade, backups) before getting to the part that needs an internet connection (one click setup (doesn't require an internet connection but the next step does, and it's stupid to do this one without the next one), dump OTP, back to 9.2), which doesn't even last 10 minutes. And then you're back to offline stuff (install a9lh, switch red/sys if you want).

Reactions: astronautlevel

zKin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good news, I finally installed A9LH !

And you were clearly right when saying it's far better than SysNand + Emunand RxTools x) Stability, Boot speed ! Wow ! Thank you all, dev and guys who told me "omg do it it's better omg rxtools is outdated omg" x)

I just have a question, because i'm curious.
When you install an Emunand, the internal memory became divided, and there is an hidenn part into the SD for the Emunand, because there is both SysNand and Emunand, like 2 OS.
A9LH (plailect guide, with Luma), when I boot I can see on my System Settings i'm on "Sys 11.0", so i'm not in an official SysNand (Or it'll be "Ver. 11.0"). My question is: In my 3DS, is there still 2 OS with a hidden SysNand "official" in 9.2 like with RxTools Emunand+Menuhaxx ? Or it's completely overwrited by a modified one, this one, "Sys 11.0" ?

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

And you were clearly right when saying it's far better than SysNand + Emunand RxTools x) Stability, Boot speed ! Wow ! Thank you all, dev and guys who told me "omg do it it's better omg rxtools is outdated omg" x)

When you install an Emunand, the internal memory became divided, and there is an hidenn part into the SD for the Emunand, because there is both SysNand and Emunand, like 2 OS.
A9LH (plailect guide, with Luma), when I boot I can see on my System Settings i'm on "Sys 11.0", so i'm not in an official SysNand (Or it'll be "Ver. 11.0"). My question is: In my 3DS, is there still 2 OS with a hidden SysNand "official" in 9.2 like with RxTools Emunand+Menuhaxx ? Or it's completely overwrited by a modified one, this one, "Sys 11.0" ?

Micro sd should have 1 partition only if you've followed plailect's guide correctly. There aill no longer be an emunand partition on your sd and you will only have a CFW sysNAND.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: zKin

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This doesn't have a lot to do with a9lh, which is just an entrypoint, used (among other things) by your CFW which is probably Luma, and which supports sysNAND-only configurations and sysNAND+emuNAND configurations. Just clarifying because a lot of people think that a9lh forces them to switch to sysNAND-only.

Now as @annson24 said, if you followed the steps exactly, you probably don't have an emuNAND anymore indeed.

Reactions: emuashui and zKin

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States

The sys shows up because of a config option you checked for luma. If you hold select while turning the 3ds on you will see the config screen. The option is show current nand in system settings. With it off it will show ver like a normal system. Your setup does not use a emunand. there is no second nand, there is only the official nand with a9lh(not cfw) installed to it.
When you turn the system on a9lh runs and loads the arm9loaderhax.bin(cfw) on the sd card. That then patches the nand with the patches the cfw adds(sig, region free, ect...) and boots the nand. The cfw is not installed to the nand. In reality the cfw's are not actually cfw but firmware patchers that is why they must be on the sd card to be used.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I didn't install AL9H because I'm extremely paranoid.

While I'm okay with downgrading a unit for the first time (because getting emunand+CFW, and all my normal downgrades have succeeded so far),
there are too many things that can go wrong with AL9H setup.

And no matter how many people may argue it is safer now,
even if I follow the guide to the letter, if some cosmic chance screws it up,

I'm the one that has to live with a $300 brick.

I've been considering, but the risk is too high, especially when I have a system that has a working CFW.
Slightly faster boot time (and considerably awesome boot rate) apparently doesn't outweigh the risks for me.

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't install AL9H because I'm extremely paranoid.

While I'm okay with downgrading a unit for the first time (because getting emunand+CFW, and all my normal downgrades have succeeded so far),
there are too many things that can go wrong with AL9H setup.

And no matter how many people may argue it is safer now,
even if I follow the guide to the letter, if some cosmic chance screws it up,

I'm the one that has to live with a $300 brick.

I've been considering, but the risk is too high, especially when I have a system that has a working CFW.
Slightly faster boot time (and considerably awesome boot rate) apparently doesn't outweigh the risks for me.

I'm not rich enough to afford multiple 3ds consoles and was also nervous about sacrificing my 3ds for improved CFW boot rate and time. I did however hate that I needed Internet to access rxtools cfw (as it was the only one that seemed to work for me) and having an extra partition on my SD so I decided to make the jump to arm9lh. I researched as much as I could and read through each section in the guide multiple times and it worked really well. The only time it went wrong was when I incorrectly used a game cart to update and messed up my system temporarily. So if you work through the guide at a snails pace and keep gbatemp close by for anything you're unsure about you will be ok.

If you are ok with where you are at with emunand + cfw then you don't HAVE to make the switch but know that arm9lh is far superior once installed and that the community will always favor arm9lh now because of that

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm not rich enough to afford multiple 3ds consoles and was also nervous about sacrificing my 3ds for improved CFW boot rate and time. I did however hate that I needed Internet to access rxtools cfw (as it was the only one that seemed to work for me) and having an extra partition on my SD so I decided to make the jump to arm9lh. I researched as much as I could and read through each section in the guide multiple times and it worked really well. The only time it went wrong was when I incorrectly used a game cart to update and messed up my system temporarily. So if you work through the guide at a snails pace and keep gbatemp close by for anything you're unsure about you will be ok.

If you are ok with where you are at with emunand + cfw then you don't HAVE to make the switch but know that arm9lh is far superior once installed and that the community will always favor arm9lh now because of that

yeah gosh,
AL9H is like a cult here.

it's insane.

Well perhaps eventually when something breakthroughs here that is only supported by AL9H,
or somehow some update breaks something, then yeah, I'll have to switch over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8uydsntOyc