Homebrew What kind of photos is the DSi's camera capable of reading ?

thom_tl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They're jpegs that are signed by the system. If you're looking to add photos to the DSi, someone made this tool but I have not figured out how to use it.

In fact, if someone could tell me how to, it'd be great
Clone the git repo, and rum make on a linux system in the directory(Ubuntu subsystem for windows works fine) and then execute the file with ./sign
Edit: here is the executable compiled with windows linux subsystem
https://mega.nz/#!xSwhwaYa!FxknkkSSsIvfFF0K6JkF--Co1L3NWAXD4u3B0NuexJk

Last edited by thom_tl,

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clone the git repo, and rum make on a linux system in the directory(Ubuntu subsystem for windows works fine) and then execute the file with ./sign
Edit: here is the executable compiled with windows linux subsystem
https://mega.nz/#!xSwhwaYa!FxknkkSSsIvfFF0K6JkF--Co1L3NWAXD4u3B0NuexJk
I did manage to compile it, I'm just not sure what the proper parameters are. Whenever I run the program, it says that the parameters should be this:

"Usage: dsi_sign_jpeg <in.jpg> <out.jpg> <key.bin> [iv.bin]"

I assumed in.jpeg and out.jpeg are the filenames the program will open and save to, and that key.bin is the dsi common key, but I have no idea what IV.bin is.

thom_tl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did manage to compile it, I'm just not sure what the proper parameters are. Whenever I run the program, it says that the parameters should be this:

"Usage: dsi_sign_jpeg <in.jpg> <out.jpg> <key.bin> [iv.bin]"

I assumed in.jpeg and out.jpeg are the filenames the program will open and save to, and that key.bin is the dsi common key, but I have no idea what IV.bin is.
It worked fine without iv.bin for me. The files that it outputs are weird but that another thing.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked fine without iv.bin for me. The files that it outputs are weird but that another thing.
Yeah when I ran it the jpegs came out all black, so I assumed that the iv.bin is important. I'll give it another go later with the version you compiled, but Im assuming that the iv.bin file is important for some reason

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
FYI, I had to use Photoshop to save my JPG to get the correct JPG header format (most other software use a version of JPG that isn't compatible on DSI). Then used a program (jhead I think) to copy an EXIF meta data section from a donar JPG that was generated on a DSI. Then signed that resulting JPG. As a result the "thumbnail" of the JPG will inherit the donar JPG's thumbnail, but the full image will be what was intended. (and not a big deal either if you plan to use your custom JPG as the top screen graphic)

DSi expects 640x480 resolution JPGs. Will not display anything larger. You can use smaller JPGs, but there will be bugs in how it attempts to display that image. :P

Also when adding new JPGs, note the file names generated by the camera app. You need to use the same naming scheme and when adding new images you have to force the camera app to regenerate the photo database file as it caches what photos you have to a bin file.

You can find it on your SD card at this folder location:

SD://private/ds/app/484E494/pit.bin

That's the location for USA. Note that 484E494 folder name will be different if you are using a different region firmware. Usually there's only one folder in that folder tree anyways unless you also use Flipnote studio. The one that contains pit.bin will be what you need to delete. Delete the pit.bin file and add your new JPG files to the DCIM folder where the camera app expects to find them. It will then regenerate the photo management file and your new photos should show up assuming you signed them correctly.

If you want to use a JPG as your Launcher's top screen photo, you will need to copy your JPG to nand storage and apply the star stamp. Launcher will not show it if it's not starred or if it's not on NAND. Launcher will cycle through your photos randomly on each boot if you have more then one on nand with the star stamp applied. ;)

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...