What does it mean by Zelda wii u is not exactly a "open world"

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Yil, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    It said one can do numerous things daily, and that just match open world, and indeed zelda is getting more open with all the heart piece and other collectable, rupee, it just need to be more say natural and more than beneficial to combat.

2. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    I think you're having some trouble expressing yourself..
    I'm gonna first give some context so others can comment on your thread.. ..You're referencing a comment from Miyamoto, so I'm gonna first quote it here out from ZeldaInformer:
    What he mainly means is that he wants to break the linearity that recent zeldas have (with the pre-defined way to go and dungeons to beat). That so we could discover the world more freely. They where experimenting on that thought with ALBW.

Some other things that you wanted to discuss about it?

3. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    Nintendo has not done an open world game ever so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

I think Nintendo's style is to curate every room in a game, and it is much easier to do that if the game world is very small.

4. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Open world generally means you can go anywhere from the start of the game. By saying "vast", I think he is expressing that there will still be some limitations (i.e. you still have to pass some quest road-blocks to enter certain areas), but the "world" will be so large that it can maintain a degree of "linear-ness" without the player being felt like he can't be explore a lot.

Think of a game like Oblivion that's huge. Now imagine you could only explore the south-east quadrant of the map until you beat part of the main quest. That's still at least 20 hours worth of exploration.

5. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    I had a comment on another site about what should be reviewed on this new Open World ...don't know now if it would make the game more fun, but it's a thing.

6. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    They sort of done it here and there but nothing really like what an open world game is about.

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    zelda 1 and lbw are both open world

8. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    ALBW isn't. You are on a very set path at the start of the game, and you can't explore everything until you've bought and upgraded some key items like the hookshot.

Edit: Come to think of it, neither was the original. You need the raft to reach places.

McHaggis likes this.
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Many people mix up the terms Open World, meaning a big world map that allows you to go anywhere, and Sandbox, which is an Open World where you pick and choose what you want to do. For instance, A Link to the Past or the Oracle games are Open World - you are in no way restricted by a division into stages and you can travel back and forth at will - item requirements to get to certain parts of the map don't affect that. If anything, they encourage backtracking to see new things in earlier map sections. GTA on the other hand is a Sandbox - you have a main storyline, but you don't have to follow it - you can do whatever side quests you want or goof around if you don't feel like questing.

10. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Except, you know, not being able to get to over half the game (Subrosia in Seasons, the sea in Ages, the mountains in ALttP are a few examples) until later in the game. They are neither open world nor a sandbox.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay

11. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    sorry foxi your logic won't save you this time none of them games are open world your both on a set path from the very beginning and yes it's true in alttp later on you can go to dungeons out of the order but it's still not open world. albw is more open world than all of them games. :P

12. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    GTA has locked sections which if you can somehow access the cops will come by and shoot your ass down because you're not supposed to be there, so, you're forced to play the story mode until that certain section becomes available.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    This is not a matter of linearity or non-linearity - Open World is a term used in level design and does not equal Sandbox or Non-linear. ;)

14. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    the legend of gta: hyrule city stories!

15. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Zelda WW?

16. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    ww is half open world there are lots of areas you can't access until you have completed dungeons though which you have to do in order (except the last 2)

17. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    I think that this concept of open world is kinda utopian..

what game is completely Open World then?

..Skyrim ..oh no wait, you need at least be lvl X to get to this part, or you'll die before getting near it..
    ..Minecraft? ...umm, you need a bunch of stuff before going to the Nether..

..? ..I couldn't list none so.

18. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    wow would be classified as open world so would any other MMORPG (like them lame free ones that are pay to be strong)

19. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    By what you posted previously about GTA it should be open world (all around accessible) by default but it isn't and now you say about its linearity, so no, we're always required to play the games up to a certain extent to play it as a whole.

It's hard to list ANY game because they all demand to play some of the story mode.

20. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Not really. You can't go to many areas unless you fly there, for which you need to be a certain level or have large amounts of gold. Then there's the race-specific areas, among other things, and for many areas it's simply useless to go there because even the small enemies will kill you in one hit. By your definition pretty much nothing is open world - and if anything would be, it would have pretty much zero sense of progression and probably be a bad game.