What are your Family's thought on your gaming & tech habits?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Last edited by Flame,
Reactions: Deleted User

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mom frowned upon it while I was growing up. My dad is the one that got me into it, however. My mom's side of the family has always frowned about it as well, but they've long since learned that if they want me around, they just have to deal with it.

Reactions: Flame

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
1st of i am pro america and capitalism as it gets.

but the vibe i get from american on family aspects its like your my child too your 18... but the second you turn 18...I dont care about you unless you benefit my personal gain..... or just dont end up as a terrorist.

Very cold.
Pretty much how things go here.

Gamefreakjf11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They told me I'm lazy and I spend too much time on the computer and playing video games. Then I graduated high school and started majoring in CS in college. After finding out how much CS graduates make, they stopped complaining.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They used to complain all the time about how much time I spend playing video games, but they've pretty much given up at this point. I maintain good grades and am on the right track to get into a good college, so they don't care as much anymore and give me more freedom.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
My father thinks every game is Pokemon, really. There's no inbetween; Ace Attorney? Mario? Simply browsing the internet? They're all just Pokemon to hm...it's pretty funny. My dad understands that gaming is a pretty important thing to me, so he's never said anything bad about it. (Except for when he realized games cost $70 apiece back in the day.) My mom, on the other hand, had a roomate who she used to play Sega Genesis games all the time with. She knows a fair bit about early Sega games, and was a big fan of Sonic 1/2/3 and would later be the one who got me into gaming, when she gave me a Genesis as a kid. So they're both pretty cool about my gaming habits. They both absolutely freak out when I mod my consoles, or do anything they don't understand. (Heaven help them when I installed Windows in my MacBook, they thought it was going to explode because it wasn't possible.)

ErikH526

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me I do play Video Games but I do other stuff like exercise, going out, etc. my Mom is 100% supportive she helps me out too hunting down amiibo's especially Wave 4 I got all amiibo's except Jigglypuff but I did get Jigglypuff amiibo restock in July. She also one time helped me search for a Restocked Zelda Majora's Mask 3D new3DSXL it was all the way in New York luckily my Aunt and Uncle got it and gave them the money. One time she found a Pit amiibo in a Toy's R Us. Also my mom got me a Zelda Majora's Mask 3D Collector's Edition guide she felt so bad when I couldn't get a pre-order on the Limited Edition copy with the Skull Kid Statue. I have an amazing loving supportive Mom and I love her so much and I'm very grateful to have her in my life. There are more stories too but a later time.

Reactions: Chary and Flame

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
You know what ties our family together? Games.

When I was about 3, one of my cousins introduced me to gaming. He gave me a PlayStation and a few games. Marvel VS. Capcom, Megaman X5 and some others I can't remember. My parents' and his parents' reactions? They were happy. Especially my dad since he would be using it as well. He'd end up giving me a Gameboy as well.

When I was about 7, we went to another country and there, I got a Gameboy Advance SP and a PlayStation Portable. The GBA SP was fun to play with but the PSP IS FUCKING REVOLUTIONARY. It was also at that time I've learned that you could get games for free so I had my dad help me in installing CFW.

When I was 10, 11 or 12, I got my DSi. I didn't use the camera but it was a different experience. Pokemon in 3D. I still remember my first run of Pokemon Pearl. It was also during those times I've heard about this site. And I've learned you could also get games for free, so I got my mom to buy me a flash cart.

Now that I'm 14, I got a PS4 from my parents and 2 controllers since couch co-op is awesome. I'd play Star Wars Battlefront a lot with some of my cousins and with a friend who owns a PS3. It was loads of fun.

My parents are actually into gaming. My dad just plays any racing game while my mom prefers to play retro games. They'd get a bit sad at me for playing too much but if it makes me happy, it's alright with them.

Reactions: Flame

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
My "family" kept finding reasons to take all the games I had because I supposedly had a comportemental problem, and that was their method to piss me off basically. This kept going until 2012. I then moved, and started to collect my games, as well as playing without being paranoid of seeing my stuff taken away and sold for drugs (yes it happened manybtimes ._.)

Now I'm on my own, and I collect games, consoles, and accessories, without being called a nerd, a antisocial, or a fucked up person.

:mellow:

jgoreham

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Periodically, my parents are surprised I'm still into gaming and stuff but I'm 32 and live in another city, so they don't *really* have any say, lol. Sister a year or two ago informed me she took my old SNES from our parent's house to her house (and after THAT informed me that it gave up the ghost!). My husband doesn't mind and sometimes we game together (he likes playing classic games, we're playing SMB3 and the first Mega Man game together these days). A lot of my gamer friends have moved away or live elsewhere (one now has MS and can't see well and doesn't have the dexterity to play anymore) so it's a kind of solitary hobby compared to my other interests. My gaming interests skew portable (small and out of sight/out of mind unless I'm playing) and retro (nostalgic for people generally) so I don't get much flack from anybody.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
My parents didn't care. Never did, still don't. I took part time jobs to earn money for games because they never would give me any kind of pocket money or buy games for me. They saw it as an easy way to keep me quiet though, so they never bothered telling me anything negative. Although they wouldn't call me for dinner if I was playing a game - that's the kind of parents they were.

My wife doesn't mind though, as she likes some games as well. She's not a hardcore gamer like people from this forum, but she understands the enjoyment aspect of it and realises it's something I like to do so I can de-stress, relax and enjoy myself. She's a cool spouse. She mainly likes racing games, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. and the Sims games.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I am the computer genius wise man who can make amazing shit for them. They do not care about my gaming anymore since I am an adult and live alone, but they were fine with it when back when I lived at their place since I always achieved good grades.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
they don't care they just wish I was more physically active

TBH I would be if the weather here didn't suck

Do people still care if their kids are physically attractive? They only have themselves to blame, it's their genetics after all.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
My fam recognizes me as the 'techie' of the house. 'Something wrong with any tech thing? Ask Shikhar'.
I don't play pc games since I haven't got the time or money, yet. My parent's also think I'm a tech addict so I get only about an hour for leisure activities on the computer. But if I'm using the computer for studies etc, time no bar. They don't care what i games i play as long i don't cross my time limits.My elder brother is kinda crazy and used to censor the content i watched or downloaded. Thank god he's gone to college. :creep:
Anyway, in a few months when i go to college, I'll make sure to pick up the gbatemp essential pc games list and cross down many games :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: