What are your Family's thought on your gaming & tech habits?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
They don't care, because I'm still a functioning member of society and video games/my tech habits don't negatively impact my life.

;O;

To any new members replace gaming with drugs and tech with hookers for tom's post; for it to make sense.

Last edited by Flame,
Reactions: nxwing and Mazamin

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, they're fine with gaming. Piracy and homebrew not so much. I've learnt to just not talk about it.
The downside to that is I have to actually buy a game before I can talk to my family about it. They're also.. mediocre gamers so it's all okay. So long as u dont pirate mkay?? There's only so many times " A friend bought me it" works. (Mainly because I don't really have many gaming rl friends)

Steve Antony Williams

Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing wrong with getting a PhD (I have one myself) BUT just remember it's not a "golden ticket" to anything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As for family my wife is 69 and is currently playing the new Legend Of Heroes on PS3 :D

Reactions: Flame

MissingNO123

Jigglypuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My parents always think I'm hacking the CIA... lol

(They also think that I'm not skilled and that anyone can do the shit I do
Write something that does more than just say hello world, then come talk to me about who's better with computers

(they don't even know how to use explorer) )

As for gaming, they stopped buying games for me a while ago because I was "Too old for video games", but they soon realized that I'm not dumb and I know how to earn money to buy my own games, and gave up on trying to control my gaming habits.

Last edited by MissingNO123,

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
My family is ok with my habits because I don't let them control my life. They see the successes that I have and thus see my habit as my own personal reward for these successes.

its like america is one big orphanage.

my family wanted to buy me an Audi once i finished my degree... but i use public transport instead because the day i would need a car is not now..... money used somewhere else.

Nothing wrong with getting a PhD (I have one myself) BUT just remember it's not a "golden ticket" to anything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As for family my wife is 69 and is currently playing the new Legend Of Heroes on PS3 :D

of course PhD isnt a golden ticket... :) but its nice to have one, in my case also a job opportunity too.... the professors in my Uni helped me get a semi-teaching spot(after lessons type thing).

Last edited by Flame,

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They don't bother interacting as I normally will get a lot of attitude to them back although if they ever find out about the Cammy stuff me parents would probably go apeshit.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My parents always think I'm hacking the CIA... lol

This guy (about 5 minutes but watch the lead up too) probably still has the best "overheard in a shop" type conversations but I am somewhat thankful that most 3ds hacking conversations probably happen via text.

"I will send you the CIA files via email, however you will need to sort the encryption. Oh and the FBI stuff can mess you up if you install it wrongly, make sure you are not connected to the internet when doing all this as well".
They don't care, because I'm still a functioning member of society and video games/my tech habits don't negatively impact my life.

Isn't that a pretty low bar? I still function and it might be light on positives but at least there are no negatives.

Reactions: Deleted User

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
1st of i am pro america and capitalism as it gets.

but the vibe i get from american on family aspects its like your my child too your 18... but the second you turn 18...I dont care about you unless you benefit my personal gain..... or just dont end up as a terrorist.

Very cold.

Last edited by Flame,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that a pretty low bar? I still function and it might be light on positives but at least there are no negatives.
I feel like if someone (or, at least, multiple someones) has to tell you you're spending too much time doing XYZ, there's probably some sort of negative effect somewhere, even if it's not directly effecting you (or even if it's not something major). Not counting the people who are just like "I H8 UR VIDYA GUMZ DEY DA DEVIL STP PLYN NUW", of course.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I feel like if someone (or, at least, multiple someones) has to tell you you're spending too much time doing XYZ, there's probably some sort of negative effect somewhere, even if it's not directly effecting you (or even if it's not something major). Not counting the people who are just like "I H8 UR VIDYA GUMZ DEY DA DEVIL STP PLYN NUW", of course.

let me ask you some question tom.

do you have a backlog? if so, is your backlog getting bigger by the day?

instead of money being on a server somewhere or on a shelf couldnt that money be helping some one else or in _Your_ bank account.

this is like the thing my family is trying to get at.

i like to think im open minded. so i dont want to go with BUT I NEED!

Shirako

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My family don't mind too much since it's just something i do for fun, as long as i take care of other responsibilities and don't let gaming/computer usage take control

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I have a backlog, yes, it gets bigger nearly everyday, but I make enough money to support myself, my girlfriend, pay all my bills, put some in a savings account, and whatever's extra goes for games.

If you can't put any amount of money away because you're busy spending it on video games, then yeah, you have a problem. ;O;

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Yes, I have a backlog, yes, it gets bigger nearly everyday, but I make enough money to support myself, my girlfriend, pay all my bills, put some in a savings account, and whatever's extra goes for games.

If you can't put any amount of money away because you're busy spending it on video games, then yeah, you have a problem. ;O;

damn...shares, savers bank account and stable good paying job is a problem. :(

next question if you didnt buy any more games.. will you be able to finish your backlog by you are 100 years old.

Last edited by Flame,

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My dad hated me playing video games all the time as a little kid, but once I started building electronics as a real hobby, he turned right around and has supported me ever since. He's quite a lot like me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F