Weird noise when connecting PS5's external HDD to extension cord

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Every day, before going to bed, I click the external HDD's red button in which the PS5's external HDD is connected to just to be sure because the PS5's external HDD or the extension cord in which the former is connected to does a weird and annoying buzz-like noise when it's connected to the latter (even if the PS5 is turned off) and I'm afraid I can have a fire. I can't understand if the noise comes from the PS5's external HDD or the extension cord in which it's connected to but it starts after connecting the PS5's external HDD to the extension cord.

I've changed the extension cord (and I still have this problem) and I already had this problem when the external HDD was connected to the PS4 and it was connected to the previous extension cord. Does this mean the external HDD may stop working, or even worse, may it fry all my devices connected to the extension cord or/and even have a fire? I only bought the external HDD two years ago and I've had this problem since then.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Weird. I connected the PS5's external HDD to the PC and I couldn't access its content since it didn't even show up in File Explorer. I went to Disk Manager but it talked about MBR and GPT so I closed it. Maybe this is normal behavior. Anyway, it didn't make the annoying noise so does it mean it wasn't made for video game consoles and so it's alright and not messed up?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird. I connected the PS5's external HDD to the PC and I couldn't access its content since it didn't even show up in File Explorer. I went to Disk Manager but it talked about MBR and GPT so I closed it. Maybe this is normal behavior. Anyway, it didn't make the annoying noise so does it mean it wasn't made for video game consoles and so it's alright and not messed up?
That is normal. Ps5 and series x formatted drives are not readable on a pc. I'd suggest a non powered hdd or rather a 2.5" hdd. The largest on the market is 5tb, and and wd black is very good.

Reactions: Xzi

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they're formatted the same way, ps4 and ps5, because an external hdd from the ps4 will work on the ps5 with no further steps as long as it's the same account.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I doubt it, but I'm not using an extension cable or a 3.5" drive. the only drive I have plugged in is that wd black, which is powered by the ps5 itself.

When charging a PSP the AC Adaptor also does noise but not as many as in this situation. The same thing goes for the DualShock 3 charging station when using the PSP charger and other devices, I think. Is it normal?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NeoGaming @ NeoGaming: but able for to sell it i had to unhomebrew it which was a pain