Weird noise when connecting PS5's Seagate 3.5" 8 TB external HDD's power cord

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Overnight, I take the PS5's external HDD's power cord from the external HDD's power input just to be sure because the external HDD's power supply/power cords makes/make an odd and annoying whistling noise when the external HDD is connected to the power strip and I'm worried about a fire starting.

I've changed the power strip and I still have this problem. Does that mean the external HDD may stop working, or even worse, may it mess up all my devices connected to the power strip or/and even have a fire? I bought this external HDD two years ago and I've had this problem since then.

What's odd is that if I connect it to the PC's power strip, I don't have this problem.

EDIT: Sorry, double thread.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like drive is not properly sleeping. What you are hearing are the platters spinning. With windows it is controlled by software within windows itself which the ps5 does not implement. If left connected it could cause the drive motor to fail as it's working more than it has to. This will go away with a usb powered hdd. I'm not sure if seagate has a tool that you can use to check or enable the drives sleep state like WD does but doesn't hurt to check or call their support and ask.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sounds like drive is not properly sleeping. What you are hearing are the platters spinning. With windows it is controlled by software within windows itself which the ps5 does not implement. If left connected it could cause the drive motor to fail as it's working more than it has to. This will go away with a usb powered hdd. I'm not sure if seagate has a tool that you can use to check or enable the drives sleep state like WD does but doesn't hurt to check or call their support and ask.

So, may it stop working? Are there 8 TB USB-powered external HDDs? Even if there's such a tool, would it only work for Windows or for the PS5 too?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, may it stop working? Are there USB-only powered 8TB external HDDs? Even if there's such a tool, would it only work for Windows or for the PS5 too?
If such a tool exists it will usually edit the functions in the devices firmware so it would spin down no matter what it's connected to. But as I said I'm not sure if the tool is available for seagate drives. I know personally I've had to use the WD tool to control the spin down on an older drive as it was doing exactly as you describe.

It's a possibility that it may fail. No drive is really guaranteed to last. I know I've had more seagates fail then any other drive though.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If such a tool exists it will usually edit the functions in the devices firmware so it would spin down no matter what it's connected to. But as I said I'm not sure if the tool is available for seagate drives. I know personally I've had to use the WD tool to control the spin down on an older drive as it was doing exactly as you describe.

It's a possibility that it may fail. No drive is really guaranteed to last. I know I've had more seagates fail then any other drive though.

But what do you mean by "tool"? Is it like software that changes the hardware behavior? If so, would it be possible to stop having this behavior in both the PS4 and the PS5 or it would only stop making it in one of them? How could it be sure it wouldn't do it in more devices I connected it to? OK, but it has this problem from the start and since I bought it in 2020 it's not exactly "old". I also had other seagate external HDDs and they didn't make this noise but they didn't require external power supplies, if that matters.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But what do you mean by "tool"? Is it like software that changes the hardware behavior? If so, would it be possible to stop having this behavior in both the PS4 and the PS5 or it would only stop doing it in one of them? How could I be sure it wouldn't do it in more devices I connected it to? Ok, but it has this problem from the beginning and since I bought it in 2020 it isn't exactly "old". I also had other seagate external HDDs and they didn't make this noise but they didn't have a power supply, if that matters.
Yes, it is software if it's available. I don't think it's available in Seatools though as that's just a diagnostic and monitoring utility. If seagate made the software that is capable of changing the drives behavior it would work across all devices since you are changing parameters on the device itself. It has to do with the enclosure having external power. The only external drive I've had to use the western digital utility with was an externally powered one. Most likely it's using a full sized hard drive which has a greater power requirement then a laptop drive and thus require the external power supply.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the enclosure you using with the drive are they seperate when you first got them or the drive was already inside the enclosure already when you got it? also do you know what RPM the drive is on 5600 or 7200 RPM?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, it is software if it's available. I don't think it's available in Seatools though as that's just a diagnostic and monitoring utility. If seagate made the software that is capable of changing the drives behavior it would work across all devices since you are changing parameters on the device itself. It has to do with the enclosure having external power. The only external drive I've had to use the western digital utility with was an externally powered one. Most likely it's using a full sized hard drive which has a greater power requirement then a laptop drive and thus require the external power supply.

Then what should be done?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the wd black is good. I use it for the ps4, 5, and nvidia shield as I own three of them. you can even buy it directly from gamestop or newegg or probably amazon.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There is no tools for external use, seatools is only for diagnose and monitoring HDD and SSD. As in your case go you might have to look into different enclosure / drive combination if you can shucking the drive.

But why would I change the enclosure? It should work. It doesn't make sense losing extra money on another external HDD and/or external HDD enclosure because the external HDD isn't working right. Also, I don't have this problem when connecting it to the PC, only to the PS4/PS5.

As for other alternative, there are 5TB 2.5 drive, that doesn't require external power supply.

I thought 5 TB external HDDs always required a power supply and were always 3.5". Anyway, 5 TB isn't 8 TB.

yeah, the wd black is good. I use it for the ps4, 5, and nvidia shield as I own three of them. you can even buy it directly from gamestop or newegg or probably amazon.

Is it 2.5" and 8 TB and so doesn't require a power supply?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...