Weird noise when connecting PS5's Seagate 3.5" 8 TB external HDD's power cord

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about 8TB ones? It's a Seagate Expansion Drive and the model is SRDONF2. Also, I leave it on top but lied down also makes this noise and external USBs drives without external power sources also make noise (but much less) when connected to PCs and PSs.

I know but like I told, USB ports can serve as external power source too. I don't think so since I have a lot of games and it likely won't even be enough for all of them. Mine came only with 2 and it has already expired.

That's the problem.

You can try shucking the drive into another enclosure, base on Amazon reviews it says it does make noise.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Last edited by Windows_10_User,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no external source. it's a 5TB, wd black. I would never buy an 8TB drive, too many problems, at least with the ps4, almost as if the system can't accommodate it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no offense, but you seem to have a lot of problems with your systems, and there comes a time that we have to chuck this up to user error.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
no external source. it's a 5TB, wd black. I would never buy an 8TB drive, too many problems, at least with the ps4, almost as if the system can't accommodate it.

Why do you say it has too many problems, at least in the PS4?

no offense, but you seem to have a lot of problems with your systems, and there comes a time that we have to chuck this up to user error.

Maybe it's because I don't how how to unscrew them and clean/switch their components. I'm worried about breaking them.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it have an external source?

So, is it normal behavior and may not break? Makes noise, where? On the PC?

The drive would make some noisy when it is not idle, base on what you provided so far it is a 7200 RPM drive, they are louder than 5600 RPM drive, you can try to shucking it meaning taking it out of the it case, and get another case to try. The higher the RPM the more noise it make.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does it have an external source?

So, is it normal behavior and may not break? Makes noise, where? On the PC?
Just keep doing what you're already doing by turning the power off to the drive when not in use. Not much more you can do besides what others have said. The other option is to replace the hard drive in your enclosure with another brand 8tb and see if you have the same problem. The PS3 also had the same problem with externally powered drives, seems to be something in the sony firmware that causes it not to sleep.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just keep doing what you're already doing by turning the power off to the drive when not in use. Not much more you can do besides what others have said. The other option is to replace the hard drive in your enclosure with another brand 8tb and see if you have the same problem. The PS3 also had the same problem with externally powered drives, seems to be something in the sony firmware that causes it not to sleep.

Do you think the power strip should be turned off when the TV and the PS5 are turned off as well to protect the PS5's external HDD just to be sure?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you know if the PS2's Expansion Bay only supports 3.5" HDDs or does it support 2.5" too? Also, how can one use a HDD in those PS2s which have a PC Card slot and no expansion bay slot and how can I find a network adaptor for them?
It only natively support 3.5" drives due to the IDE interface being different on ide 2.5" drives. This can possibly be fixed with adapters but then the size changes and things might not fit. Most slim ps2's have their network adapter built in and no way to attach a hard drive.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It only natively support 3.5" drives due to the IDE interface being different on ide 2.5" drives. This can possibly be fixed with adapters but then the size changes and things might not fit. Most slim ps2's have their network adapter built in and no way to attach a hard drive.

I was told it fits 2.5" HDDs but they will somewhat hang.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Windows_10_User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4