Weird noise when connecting PS5's Seagate 3.5" 8 TB external HDD's power cord

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But why would I change the enclosure? It should work. It doesn't make sense buying an external HDD to change its enclosure because it isn't working right and to waste extra money. Besides, I don't have this problem when connecting it to the PC, only to the PS4/PS5.

I thought 5TB external HDDs always required external power supply and were always 3.5". Anyway, 5TB isn't 8TB.

Is it 2.5" and 8TB and doesn't require external power source?

There are 5TB 2.5 size HDD, 2.5 Size drive doesn't require external power, in your case it is probably good idea to actually show us what drive and enclosure you are using. If you bought the drive and enclosure separately you can try a different enclosure, if it was bundled together when you got it, some drive can be shuck

Reactions: Windows_10_User

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's referring to from a wall outlet. I think 8TBs is overkill. something is clearly wrong with your drive. return it if possible or get a warranty claim, which could be 1-3 years for an hdd. ssd and m2 drives usually come with 5 year warranties.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There are 5TB 2.5 size HDD, 2.5 Size drive doesn't require external power, in your case it is probably good idea to actually show us what drive and enclosure you are using. If you bought the drive and enclosure separately you can try a different enclosure, if it was bundled together when you got it, some drive can be shuck

What about 8 TB's? It's a Seagate Expansion Drive and the model is SRDONF2. Also, I leave it on top but if lied down it also makes this noise and USB devices without power supplies also make noise when connected to PCs and PSs.

it's referring to from a wall outlet. I think 8TBs is overkill. something is clearly wrong with your drive. return it if possible or get a warranty claim, which could be 1-3 years for an hdd. ssd and m2 drives usually come with 5 year warranties.

I know, but like I said, USB ports can be considered a power supply, too. I don't think so since I have a lot of games and it likely won't even be enough for all of them. Mine came only with 2 and it has already expired.

2.5 only goes up to 5TB.

That's the problem.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
go into device manager, check for power management of the hdd or the controller for it, see if it's set to automatically turn it off when not being used. that could be the reason it's not making the noise with the pc.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it's connected to the wall, isn't it?

Yes, but what I mean is that even those that aren't have to be connected to an USB port, thus they also need a power supply like my external HDD. Again, maybe it's just semantics like you've said.

go into device manager, check for power management of the hdd or the controller for it, see if it's set to automatically turn it off when not being used. that could be the reason it's not making the noise with the pc.

It's not.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a capicator has blown or something. I wouldn't use it. maybe try using a different enclosure (make sure it can receive power from an outlet). btw, most of those power adapters are generic, so you can get them off of ebay in case it uses a different size.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
sounds like a capicator has blown or something. I wouldn't use it. maybe try using a different enclosure (make sure it can receive power from an outlet). btw, most of those power adapters are generic, so you can get them off of ebay in case it uses a different size.

But I don't want to lose extra money since if it's the enclosure's fault, it shouldn't be faulty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.