Weird noise when connecting PS5's external HDD to extension cord

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Overnight, I take the PS5's 3.5" external HDD's power cord from the external HDD just to be sure because the external HDD's power supply makes an annoying whistling noise when the external HDD's power cord is connected and I'm worried about a fire starting.

I've changed the external HDD's power strip and directly connect the external HDD into the wall socket and into another socket from the same wall and I still have this problem. Does that mean the external HDD may stop working, or even worse, may it mess up all my devices connected to the power strip or/and may it even start a fire? I bought this external HDD two years ago and I've had this problem since then.

I find it odd that if I connect it to the laptop's power strip which is connected to a socket on another wall, I don't have this problem.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I connected the PS5's external HDD to the PC and I couldn't access its content since it didn't even appear in Windows 11's File Explorer. I went to Disk Manager but it mentioned MBR and GPT so I closed it. Maybe this is normal behavior. Anyway, it didn't make the annoying noise, so does that mean it wasn't made for video game consoles and so it's alright and not faulty?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird. I connected the PS5's external HDD to the PC and I couldn't access its content since it didn't even show up in File Explorer. I went to Disk Manager but it talked about MBR and GPT so I closed it. Maybe this is normal behavior. Anyway, it didn't make the annoying noise so does it mean it wasn't made for video game consoles and so it's alright and not messed up?
That is normal. Ps5 and series x formatted drives are not readable on a pc. I'd suggest a non powered hdd or rather a 2.5" hdd. The largest on the market is 5tb, and and wd black is very good.

Reactions: Xzi

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think they're formatted the same way, ps4 and ps5, because an external hdd from the ps4 will work on the ps5 with no further steps as long as it's the same account.

OK, but is this noise normal on a 3.5" external HDD in a PS4/PS5 and why don't I have it on the PC?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I doubt it, but I'm not using an extension cable or a 3.5" drive. the only drive I have plugged in is that wd black, which is powered by the ps5 itself.

The power supply also makes noise when charging the PSP but not as loud as in this case. The same thing goes for the DualShock 3 charging station when using the PSP's power supply and other devices, I think. Is it normal?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you mean the ac adapter and it's using a USB cable, are you plugging the drive in the same way as the ps5?

I connect the external HDD's USB cable to one of the PS5's rear USB ports and the external HDD's power supply's power cord to the power strip and to the external HDD itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Thankfully the N64 had a metric ton of other fantastic games. I do kind of hate the controller...