Hacking Warning for those considering buying a DSTwo

JamesWames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
OK thanks. I'm new to some of this flashcard stuff. Been more familiar with PSP homebrew for the most part. Sorry if I sound dumb.

mike1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought my card three weeks ago got it yesterday and it works perfectly on 3ds XL. Ive been worried since seeing this post i got lucky:yaysp:

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, got my dstwo's in the mail today. One works on my 3ds xl, the other does not. So at this point I want to try and find someone near me who just uses it on a dsi dslite or whatever that would be willing to trade their model for this one.

tt87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had my card for a while now, I think the firmware that was out when I got it was.... 1.13? Anyway, apparently mine downgraded itself from 1.19 to beta 1.19 somehow, since I was playing fine on 4.5.0-10x until tonight, when I got the error screen. I put v1.19 on the card and booted it on DSPhat and it was back to beta 1.19 again.

So... not exactly sure WHAT went on.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
finally got around to updating my dstwo fw yesterday ,everything works fine i updated with my ds lite
only problem i had was that for some reason you can not update the fw if you have imenu on your sd,and i booted into the dstwo plugin menu from imenu and went back and forth a few times but nothing happens it doesnt detect the dstwoupdate.dat nothing happens , so i just used another sd card installed the newet eos and fw update dat file on it and it worked fine
i cant remember if i had that same issue before ,im sure spinal knows a work around if someone dont have another card and dont feel like backing up and restoring their sd, mine is 16gb so it takes awhile

technewbie389

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. Me again. I received my DSTwo today and thank god, it works! Now I have a question but I couldn't find an appropriate thread so I'm just going to use this one as it involves the DSTwo. Does anyone know of a way to put saved game files on the DSTwo so that I don't have to start all of my games from the start? I looked around on the internet but couldn't find anything remotely related(unless I'm looking in the wrong places but I seriously doubt that).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Me again. I received my DSTwo today and thank god, it works! Now I have a question but I couldn't find an appropriate thread so I'm just going to use this one as it involves the DSTwo. Does anyone know of a way to put saved game files on the DSTwo so that I don't have to start all of my games from the start? I looked around on the internet but couldn't find anything remotely related(unless I'm looking in the wrong places but I seriously doubt that).
There's some save backup homebrews, but they only work on the DS/Lite. If you need to back up DS game saves and you only have a DSi/3DS, you'll need a save backup cart.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-backup-gold-review.322617/
Something like that.

technewbie389

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's some save backup homebrews, but they only work on the DS/Lite. If you need to back up DS game saves and you only have a DSi/3DS, you'll need a save backup cart.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-backup-gold-review.322617/
Something like that.

Oh. Wait, this deals mostly with 3DS games. I need something for normal DS games. AND ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I have to buy more stuff just to continue? Please tell me there's another way such as simply copying the save states to the root or something. X(

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh. Wait, this deals mostly with 3DS games. I need something for normal DS games. AND ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I have to buy more stuff just to continue? Please tell me there's another way such as simply copying the save states to the root or something. X(
It works on DS games too, it's just suggested to use a newer tool since some DS carts don't work with the older save tools.

I thought you meant backing up saves from actual game carts. If it's emulation stuff, you need to do an in-game save in the emulator (NOT a save state, those will NOT work, it needs to be a normal in-game battery save) and then convert it with something like this...
http://aspspider.info/uniquegeeks/nds.aspx
And then rename the save to the exact same name as the ROM (minus the file extension), and put it in the same folder as the ROM on the DSTwo's MicroSD.

technewbie389

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It works on DS games too, it's just suggested to use a newer tool since some DS carts don't work with the older save tools.

I thought you meant backing up saves from actual game carts. If it's emulation stuff, you need to do an in-game save in the emulator (NOT a save state, those will NOT work, it needs to be a normal in-game battery save) and then convert it with something like this...
http://aspspider.info/uniquegeeks/nds.aspx
And then rename the save to the exact same name as the ROM (minus the file extension), and put it in the same folder as the ROM on the DSTwo's MicroSD.

Sorry for not making it clear that I was talking about a emulator save file. Um, sorry to bother AGAIN, but is there any chance you could explain all that in a more detailed step-by-step? I am really new with things like this and really don't understand all those technical names. Really sorry for this!! DX

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for not making it clear that I was talking about a emulator save file. Um, sorry to bother AGAIN, but is there any chance you could explain all that in a more detailed step-by-step? I am really new with things like this and really don't understand all those technical names. Really sorry for this!! DX
The first thing you need to do is start playing the emulated games on the emulator, go in-game, and do an actual save in-game, like you normally would. This is because save states cannot be transferred, so you need a normal game save. The saves will be in whatever folder the emulator saves it in, sometimes things like "battery" or something, with the same file name as the ROM played.

Then you need to go to the site I linked, tell it to convert the saves from whatever emulator you have, to the RAW save format (Supercard DSTwo uses it, as do most modern carts). It'll let you download converted versions.

Then you can put those converted files onto the MicroSD of your DSTwo. The saves need to be in the same folder as the ROM they match (so "Super Mario 64 DS.nds" will have "Super Mario 64 DS.sav").

technewbie389

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The first thing you need to do is start playing the emulated games on the emulator, go in-game, and do an actual save in-game, like you normally would. This is because save states cannot be transferred, so you need a normal game save. The saves will be in whatever folder the emulator saves it in, sometimes things like "battery" or something, with the same file name as the ROM played.

Then you need to go to the site I linked, tell it to convert the saves from whatever emulator you have, to the RAW save format (Supercard DSTwo uses it, as do most modern carts). It'll let you download converted versions.

Then you can put those converted files onto the MicroSD of your DSTwo. The saves need to be in the same folder as the ROM they match (so "Super Mario 64 DS.nds" will have "Super Mario 64 DS.sav").

Ok, I did as you said and renamed the file afterwards but . . . well it didn't work. And as I had loaded the game beforehand but hadn't played the game, there was already a save file there. It was 512 kb big. Or maybe bytes? The converted file I made was only 32 kb or bytes. What did I do wrong?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.