Hacking vWii sneek

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
did you run kernel.bin directly on a normal Wii ?
Finally got around to trying it out this morning and, nope, doesn't seem to work. It was just to satisfy curiosity, though. The only real benefit would have been a slightly faster startup time and smaller DOL size ... but nothing huge.
So when i press 1 and 2 nothing happens no game list or settings?
I kinda think those menus are generated by the di.bin file. (Haven't actually used the vWii version of the di.bin file yet.)

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to trying it out this morning and, nope, doesn't seem to work. It was just to satisfy curiosity, though. The only real benefit would have been a slightly faster startup time and smaller DOL size ... but nothing huge.
I kinda think those menus are generated by the di.bin file. (Haven't actually used the vWii version of the di.bin file yet.)

Where would one place the di.bin file

conanac

Be an Angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kool idea. i was thinking a similiar idea today and wondered when OverJoY might mod his stuff for vWii.

while i was playing New Super Mario Bro's Wii with my daughter from Uneek on vWii i told her we should save up and give some donation so OverJoY can get a WiiU and start modding his Custom DI to work on vWii

Several questions:

1. Are you able to play this game from disc channel using Uneek on vWii?
2. Did you see the banner when inserting that game disc to the disc slot?
3. Which region is your console?

I think crediar put the region-free hack in SMenuFindOffsets function (however those two lines are, I guess, for EU console). And this perhaps (guessing) makes USA console to have problem seeing the banner of game in disc channel.

I have managed to find the corresponding hack for USA console so I could see the banner now. However after selecting the disc channel and push Start button, nothing happens. Let me know if anyone with USA console manages to run the game from disc channel either by using SNEEK (without DI) or UNEEK (without DI).

Cheers.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Several questions:

1. Are you able to play this game from disc channel using Uneek on vWii?
2. Did you see the banner when inserting that game disc to the disc slot?
3. Which region is your console?

I think crediar put the region-free hack in SMenuFindOffsets function (however those two lines are, I guess, for EU console).

I have managed to find the corresponding hack for USA console so I could see the banner now. However after selecting the disc channel and push Start button, nothing happens. Let me know if anyone with USA console manages to run the game from disc channel either by using SNEEK (without DI) or UNEEK (without DI).

Cheers.

1. yes
2. didn't use real disc , i only inserted that to dump it years ago when the dump feature was added to S/Uneek , i load game from fst dump of that disk.
(but yes i see the icon and banner in the game channel when loading games with the sneek menu)
3. NTSC-U ... Canada eh

edit: oh yeah even game covers work great when looking through games list in the overlay menu
edit2: i haven't tried in game snap shots yet , i just assumed they work

edit3: maybe you didn't push '+' while in the overlay menu and set your region to USA as the game you load is USA ?

-i was wrong-

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The overlay menu's that show up when you press the one button are generated in the es code and not in the di code. If the system can't find di.bin,it will use the original module from the ios. The overlay menu simply uses the menu framebuffer memory adresses for it's text. Maybe those have changed? You also had to wait a couple of seconds after boot before you could bring up the overlay menu.
Overjoy made a couple of beta's of neek2o but never posted the source of that on google. If someone wants to pick up the wire, it would be better if he could start with the latest stuff.

neek2o redirects the calls to the nand folders to a subfolder so that the emulated nand doesn't have to be on the root of your device.
This option also allows to have multiple emulated nands on your sd card of usb disk.

neek2o di module allows the launch of encrypted wbfs backups from the usb drive. The wii hardware decryption module is used to decrypt the code on the fly.

I think that latest neek2o had problems when it was launched from sd card. It probably became usb only.... (But I can't guarantee this.)

neek2o does not have the option to rip gamedisks if I remember well.

neek2o has some buildin features that allow (modified homebrew) to access the harddrive and sd card again. As it's ES is controlling the emulated nand storage medium,
unmodified homebrew can't access it at the same time. The mod simply involved checking at startup if it was running under neek2o and redirecting some low level disk access functions.

neek2o has some patches that used to be handeled by priiloader integrated in it's es code as well.

Reactions: pelago

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
WARNING stooopid question incoming lol. this may sound really dumb and i have no idea but im guessing its probable not possible but here goes.
would there be anyway possible to have a mios implemented into vwii sneek? obviouse reasons i ask is to see if dios mios would be possible (as dios mios can be used or normall wii sneek i think). but seeing as both projects are crediars im guessing its not do-able or just hasnt been thought about?
just thought ide point out i no that the wii u doesnt have a mios before anyway tells me

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To my knowledge, dios mios works by switching the wii into gamecube mode. That mode likely has been removed from the wiiu.
Other programs like nintendon't and devolution work differently and create a virtual gamecube in (v)wii mode. That's why those also work on the wiiu.
I could be wrong about this and it wouldn't be the first time that something assumed impossible finally becomes reallity. devolution is one of those thing..

Reactions: jammybudga777

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
To my knowledge, dios mios works by switching the wii into gamecube mode. That mode likely has been removed from the wiiu.
Other programs like nintendon't and devolution work differently and create a virtual gamecube in (v)wii mode. That's why those also work on the wiiu.
I could be wrong about this and it wouldn't be the first time that something assumed impossible finally becomes reallity. devolution is one of those thing..

thanks for the reply obcd. what you say sounds right i forgot that the wii switches to gamecube mode obviously the main important key for dios mios

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Several questions:

Cheers.

Yes,I can run the game from disc channel by using vWii SNEEK (w/o DI).
The kernel.bin I used is built by a mod esmodule. (I modified "main.c" of
the esmodule)

Here is the source code of the "mod main.c" I did.

Attachments

• sneek-es-vwii-mod.rar
    2.1 KB · Views: 166

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
WARNING stooopid question incoming lol. this may sound really dumb and i have no idea but im guessing its probable not possible but here goes.
would there be anyway possible to have a mios implemented into vwii sneek? obviouse reasons i ask is to see if dios mios would be possible (as dios mios can be used or normall wii sneek i think). but seeing as both projects are crediars im guessing its not do-able or just hasnt been thought about?
just thought ide point out i no that the wii u doesnt have a mios before anyway tells me
How did you plan on controlling the games? ;)

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the esmodule)

Without your modified main.c Sneek hangs when I put in an original disk (cannot see the banner), with your main.c I can start the disc channel (i see the banner) but after pressing "start" I got a black screen... I can eject the disc but the console remains freezed in a black screen [european console].

Pressing 1 does nothing (no overlay menu appears) in both cases.

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Without your modified main.c Sneek hangs when I put in an original disk (cannot see the banner), with your main.c I can start the disc channel (i see the banner) but after pressing "start" I got a black screen... I can eject the disc but the console remains freezed in a black screen [european console].

Pressing 1 does nothing (no overlay menu appears) in both cases.

Since my Wii U is the USA console, I have no idea why you got the black screen.
(works for me)
I can't get the overlay menu,either.

Maybe you can try the other one (esmodule of neek2o mod) I did.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-sneek.360615/page-10#post-4938271
I can get the overlay menu with that one.

conanac

Be an Angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the esmodule)

I tested this, and unfortunately it did not work for me.

Trying to understand the modification:
I could see that you put back the function LoadAndRebuildChannelCache() in main.c and change
thread_set_priority( 0, 0x0A ) to thread_set_priority( 0, 0x10 ). You also try calling SMenuInit(TitleID, TitleVersion).
Since function ES_Init( MessageHeap ) already contains a call to SMenuInit( TitleID, TitleVersion ),
I am not sure whether calling that SMenuInit in main.c will make any difference (may be I miss
something here). Are these all the changes? I just want to be sure.

Do you by any chance have custom IOS installed in your vWii SNEEK NAND? Just for out of curiosity.

Thanks for your help.

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I tested this, and unfortunately it did not work for me.

Trying to understand the modification:
I could see that you put back the function LoadAndRebuildChannelCache() in main.c and change
thread_set_priority( 0, 0x0A ) to thread_set_priority( 0, 0x10 ). You also try calling SMenuInit(TitleID, TitleVersion).
Since function ES_Init( MessageHeap ) already contains a call to SMenuInit( TitleID, TitleVersion ),
I am not sure whether calling that SMenuInit in main.c will make any difference (may be I miss
something here). Are these all the changes? I just want to be sure.

Do you by any chance have custom IOS installed in your vWii SNEEK NAND? Just for out of curiosity.

Thanks for your help.
Basically, I changed those according to the esmodule of neek2o (main.c) and I don't
know why I can run the game disc w/o problem.(except no region free)
See the video below.

The custom IOS I installed are cIOS249,250(d2xv10 beta52) as well as IOS80.
(base on damysteryman's thread http://gbatemp.net/threads/patched-ios80-installer-for-vwii-allows-sd-menu-custom-channels.344882/)

I can also have neek2o(mod) works for the game disc but I have to insert the disc
before loading neek2o.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)