TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Vise versa: Do you think the Dreamcast would have been blown out of the water if they had kept developing the console and software for an extra year and putting in stronger hardware? Getting an early start is a double edged sword, especially if you have a checkered past when it comes to console hardware.
Agreed. But the problem is, the Wii is almost quite literally a dead system, with no real 1st party titles after Skyward Sword (unless you count Mario Party 9), and no real third party titles except some niche JRPGs like Xenoblade and Last Story. Considering all that, plus the competitors both have their own motion control attachment competitors AND much better graphics, I'd be hard pressed to say that Nintendo wouldn't be made all but obsolete if they waited an extra year to release the Wii-U. :(

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point was simply that releasing an extra year in front does give you some benefit because you are the first out and if you have a truly killer product you can literally steal money out of the late comers... That said, it's a huge risk being the first out to market... Nintendo is going to be giving out all of it's secrets with more than enough time for Microsoft and Sony to steal any of the best parts of it as well as put through their own improvements... On top of that, the later the launch the less mature the software is going to be. Both in SDK and actual final software.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
My point was simply that releasing an extra year in front does give you some benefit because you are the first out and if you have a truly killer product you can literally steal money out of the late comers... That said, it's a huge risk being the first out to market... Nintendo is going to be giving out all of it's secrets with more than enough time for Microsoft and Sony to steal any of the best parts of it as well as put through their own improvements... On top of that, the later the launch the less mature the software is going to be. Both in SDK and actual final software.
Nintendo literally cannot afford to wait another year. Releasing early might be a risk, but releasing late would be suicide.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo literally cannot afford to wait another year. Releasing early might be a risk, but releasing late would be suicide.
Agreed. Aside from a couple RPGs and watered-down licensed movie games, the Wii is literally a dead console right now. Even if Nintendo decided to spam-release a bunch of mario and other 1st party games, they would have nothing else to offer for another year.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Plus, it should be noted that releasing first will give Nintendo time to build up their userbase before the others hit.

Copying would only be an issue for in-the-box features of the next gaming systems. Peripherals don't matter at all. And I doubt Sony and Microsoft are going to stoop to using tablet controllers. Sony already has that function (sort of) filled with remote play anyway

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Plus, it should be noted that releasing first will give Nintendo time to build up their userbase before the others hit.
Also agreed. This was a HUGE opportunity that Nintendo had with the 3DS, and they completely squandered it until it was far too late. Such a shame. :cry:

I like the thumbnail for that video.
but anyways who thought Resident Evil Zero was good
What does that have to do with this? :blink:

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I just burned my PS3 for not being to output 60fps and true 1080p, all thanks to this thread.
Foolish idea, should have sold it and used the dosh to upgrade your PC. Hell, Five hundred and ninty-nine U.S. dollars could have bought you a gaming PC instead of a PS3, back in 2006.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just burned my PS3 for not being to output 60fps and true 1080p, all thanks to this thread.
Foolish idea, should have sold it and used the dosh to upgrade your PC. Hell, Five hundred and ninty-nine U.S. dollars could have bought you a gaming PC instead of a PS3, back in 2006.

I didn't pay five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars back in 2006. I payed two hundred and forty GBP pounds sterling in 2009 including a second controller and two games.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Waitaminute, I think Emigre is just joking... right? :ninja:

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly hope this will be a powerful machine, nintendo really needs to pick up the power game after the relatively rocky life of the wii, you have to admit the game library for the console is found a bit wanting and really the thing that keeps it afloat is nintendo's fanbase. However, if Nintendo were to bust out a beastly machine they would have the 3rd parties crawling all over themselves to dev for the system, we saw a quite a wide array of games for the xbox 360 and the ps3 that were absent from the wii's lineup mainly because the console just didn't have the power to render them efficiently without compromising the game in some significant way. This isn't to say that the wii was a bad system, but graphically it was very weak and that hurts Nintendo so I'm hoping they cover all the bases with this system especially since I intend to purchase it.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing