• Replies 92

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot believe that the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2.
there you go
gallery_278824_921_58201.jpg

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately the way things are going, i feel like the Wii U will have a honeymoon phase of 2 years where the big third party companies rerelease all the games the wii missed for the Wii U and then PS4 and Xbox will have their new consoles out. Then we have another generation like this one. However i could be wrong. I have been in the past and this is all speculation.
Kinda feels like an accurate prediction to me though.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Why? Because Nintendo always makes weak consoles?

nintendo always made weak consoles? :blink:
xbox: CPU= 733MHz, GPU= 233MHz
gamecube: CPU= 486MHz, GPU= 162MHz
ps2: CPU= 294MHz, GPU= 147MHz
dramcast: CPU= 200MHz, GPU= 100MHz
----------------
n64: CPU= 93.5MHz, Co-CPU= 62.5MHz
ps1: CPU= 33.8MHz,
sega saturn: CPU= 28.6MHz,
until the wii nintendos console was never the weakest. & when wii u comes dont see them making that mistake again.
i hear that things gonna run unreal engine 4 :blink:

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately the way things are going, i feel like the Wii U will have a honeymoon phase of 2 years where the big third party companies rerelease all the games the wii missed for the Wii U and then PS4 and Xbox will have their new consoles out. Then we have another generation like this one. However i could be wrong. I have been in the past and this is all speculation.

Or, it'll be a PS2 scenario. Could go either way.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Or, it'll be a PS2 scenario. Could go either way.
Oh man, another generation like the PS2 would be glorious

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not just the trees, but the draw distance is much lower with the PS2 version (see how much closer the fog is?), the PS2 version also used pre-rendered cutscenes running from the GCN version of the game (which is why the costumes aren't available during them, where as in the GCN/Wii versions they are), and the PS2 had a wonky "psuedo" wide screen ratio... Unlike the GCN which could display the game natively in 16:9, the PS2 version was a forcibly chopped 16:9 out of a true 4:3 display (meaning lower resolution and having to use stretch options to make it fit most TVs).

The PS2 version of RE4 was a mess and was only ported to PS2 because in the end, Capcom knew it could make more money off of PS2's larger install base.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo make (or made) powerful consoles but they were just really shit with their storage mediums.

N64 games are pretty bad looking compared to PSX games despite the N64 being more powerful. The PSX had more storage space on its discs and that's how its games looked better. Also it could support prerendered cutscenes and stuff like that.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo make (or made) powerful consoles but they were just really shit with their storage mediums.

N64 games are pretty bad looking compared to PSX games despite the N64 being more powerful. The PSX had more storage space on its discs and that's how its games looked better. Also it could support prerendered cutscenes and stuff like that.
Didn't they manage to pull off pre-rendered cutscenes with the N64 version of Resident Evil 2, though?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I'm not being critical, just want like to point out, it was the shitty VRAM that pulled the N64 graphics down, not the storage, more storage = more content. In saying that, the N64 destroyed PS1 when comparing the absolute best looking N64 games vs PS1 best visual games. I'd imagine a lot of coding and hardwork was needed working with the N64 to get the best out with it cos of the crappy VRAM so not many developers bothered.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
@Guild: Even with the storage limitations, N64 games looked better than PS1 games.

I'm not being critical, just want like to point out, it was the shitty VRAM that pulled the N64 graphics down, not the storage, more storage = more content. In saying that, the N64 destroyed PS1 when comparing the absolute best looking N64 games vs PS1 best visual games. I'd imagine a lot of coding and hardwork was needed working with the N64 to get the best out with it cos of the crappy VRAM so not many developers bothered.
Actually heartgold, it wasn't. The N64 had 4MB of RAM (8MB with the expansion pack) while the PS1 only had 2MB (+ 1MB VRAM). Guild was right, it was the storage limitations that brought it down.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Guild: Even with the storage limitations, N64 games looked better than PS1 games.

Actually heartgold, it wasn't. The N64 had 4MB of RAM (8MB with the expansion pack) while the PS1 only had 2MB (+ 1MB VRAM). Guild was right, it was the storage limitations that brought it down.
Not ram, VRAM. :)

Video RAM:

Exactly PS1 had 1MB VRAM, N64 had a minor 64KB VRAM, obviously N64 is at a huge disadvantage but the powerful N64 CPU just kept it afloat.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the two GPUs in the N64 were hard to work with. Not has hard as the Saturn's but still harder to work with then the ps1. Special chips combined with graphic trickory was the main way way to over come the programming difficulties. Special chips wouldn't of been possible if they would of used CDs instead.

D

Deleted_171835

OP

Video RAM:

Exactly PS1 had 1MB VRAM, N64 had a minor 64KB VRAM, obviously N64 is at a huge disadvantage but the powerful N64 CPU just kept it afloat.
Actually, the N64 had no dedicated VRAM. It was pooled with the system memory which was more than the PSX. The amount of memory wasn't a problem.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Video RAM:

Actually, the N64 had no dedicated VRAM. It was pooled with the system memory which was more than the PSX. The amount of memory wasn't a problem.
You may be right, there was one major flaw, I can't seem to recall but the PS1 had an huge advantage coz of it, it's not storage but something else.

Texture buffer?, urgh damn it...

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"One of its technical drawbacks was a limited texture cache, which could only hold textures of small dimensions and reduced color depth, which had to be stretched to cover larger in-game surfaces.

The Nintendo 64′s central processing unit (CPU) is the NEC VR4300,[20] a cost-reduced derivative of the 64-bit MIPS Technologies R4300i. Built by NEC on a 0.35 µm process, the VR4300 is a RISC 5-stage scalar in-order execution processor, with integrated floating point unit, internal 24 KB direct-mapped[21] L1 cache (16KB for instructions, 8KB for data). The 4.6 million transistor CPU is cooled passively by an aluminum heatspreader that makes contact with a steel heat sink above.[22]
Clocked at 93.75 MHz, the N64′s VR4300 was the most powerful console CPU of its generation.[23] Except for its narrower 32-bit system bus, the VR4300 retained the computational abilities of the more powerful 64-bit MIPS R4300i,[20] though software rarely took advantage of 64-bit data precision operations. N64 game-titles generally used faster (and more compact) 32-bit data-operations,[24] as these were sufficient to generate 3D-scene data for the console′s RSP (Reality Signal Processor; see below) unit. In addition, 32-bit code executed faster and required less storage space (which was at a premium on the N64's cartridges) Though powerful, the CPU was hindered by a 250 MB/s bus to the system memory; not only that, but in order to access the RAM, the CPU had to go through the RCP (Reality Co-Processor), and could not use DMA to do so (the RCP could). This problem is further compounded by the RDRAM′s very high access latency.
Emulators—such as UltraHLE and Project64—benefit from the scarcity of 64-bit operations in the game′s executable-code, as the emulator is generally hosted on a 32-bit machine architecture. These emulators performed most calculations at 32-bit precision, and trapped the few OS subroutines that actually made use of 64-bit instructions.

The Nintendo 64 had weaknesses that were caused by a combination of oversight on the part of the hardware designers, limitations on 3D technology of the time, and manufacturing capabilities. One major flaw was the limited texture cache of 4 KB. This made it difficult to load anything but small, low color depth textures into the rendering engine. This small texture limitation caused blurring due to developers stretching small textures to cover a surface, and then the console′s bilinear filtering would blur them further. To make matters worse, due to the design of the renderer, if mipmapping was used, the texture cache was effectively halved to 2 KB. Toward the end of Nintendo 64′s lifetime, creative developers managed to use tricks, such as multi-layered texturing and heavily-clamped, small texture pieces, to simulate larger textures. Perfect Dark, Banjo-Tooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day are possibly the best examples of this ingenuity, all of which were developed by Rare. Games often also used plain colored Gouraud shading instead of texturing on certain surfaces, especially in games with themes not targeting realism (e.g., Super Mario 64).
There were other challenges for developers to work around. Z-buffering significantly crippled the RDP′s fill rate. Thus, for maximum performance, most Nintendo 64 games were actually fill-rate limited, not geometry limited, which is ironic considering the great concern over the Nintendo 64′s low polygon per second rating of only about 100,000;[39] however, some of the most polygon-intense Nintendo 64 games, such as World Driver Championship, frequently pushed past the Sony PlayStation′s typical in-game polygon counts.
The unified memory subsystem of Nintendo 64 was another critical weakness for the machine. The RDRAM had very high access latency,[40] which nearly negated its high bandwidth advantage. In addition, game developers commented that the Nintendo 64′s memory controller setup was poor. The R4300 CPU was severely limited at memory access since it had to go through the RCP to access main memory, and could not use DMA to do so.

Graphically, results of the Nintendo cartridge system were mixed. The N64′s graphics chip was capable of trilinear filtering, which allowed textures to look very smooth compared to the Saturn or the PlayStation. This was due to the latter two using nearest-neighbor interpolation, resulting in textures that were pixelated.
However, the smaller storage size of ROM cartridges limited the number of available textures, resulting in games that had blurry graphics. This was caused by the liberal use of stretched, low-resolution textures, and was compounded by the N64′s 4096-byte limit[59] on a single texture. Some games, such as Mario Party 2, use a large amount of Gouraud shading or very simple textures to produce a cartoon-like image. This fit the themes of many games, and allowed this style of imagery a sharp look. Cartridges for some later games, such as Resident Evil 2 and Sin & Punishment and Mission: Impossible, featured more ROM space, allowing for more detailed graphics."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1