Valve officially announces Steam Deck, its handheld gaming PC releasing this December

steam deck.JPG

The Nintendo Switch (OLED model) wasn't the "Pro" upgrade many expected it to be with 4K support and new internals but before its announcement, other handhelds aimed to take the role of the "Switch Pro". The AYA NEO and GPD Win 3 are among those devices shooting for that nickname since they are able to run recent AAA PC games on the go, given that they are handheld gaming PCs. Their efforts and popularity, although niche, enticed companies like Lenovo and Tencent to make similar concepts or patents; indicating that these indie companies might have more serious competition in the future.

It seems like this will indeed be the case and these handheld gaming PC manufacturers will need to brace themselves as Valve is itself entering this market with a Valve-branded handheld gaming PC. This news was actually reported back in May and today we have the official confirmation. In a Steam post today, Valve revealed the Steam Deck, an AMD-based handheld gaming PC that is expected to begin shipping in December 2021 in select regions.

The software giant partnered with AMD to create a custom APU for the handheld that is said to be "optimized for handheld gaming". "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope," reads the announcement.

It will run on SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based) and there will be several models of the Steam Deck, which differ on the storage capacity, with the base model starting at $399. However, every model will include a microSD slot for additional storage capacity. For more details about the models available and their price, refer to the image below:

steam deck models.JPG

You can find additional specs details in the images below (click/tap to enlarge):

specs 1.JPG specs 2.JPG

And just like the AYA NEO and GPD Win 3, the Steam Deck will also have a dock which will be sold separately. This accessory will provide ports for external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. More details about the dock's pricing will be announced at a later date but you can find some specs details in the thumbnail below:

dock.png

specs dock.JPG

Valve says that the Steam Deck will start shipping this December to the United States, Canada, the European Union and the United Kingdom, with more regions coming in 2022. However, to be able to purchase one, you will need to book a paid reservation which will let you pre-order when the time comes. This reservation fee will also count towards the Steam Deck purchase price.

"The main reason for reservations is to ensure an orderly and fair ordering process for customers when Steam Deck inventory becomes available," writes Valve in the announcement FAQ. "The additional fee gives us a clearer signal of intent to purchase, which gives us better data to balance supply chain, inventory, and regional distribution leading up to launch."

Reservations for the Steam Deck will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT. For more details about the new handheld gaming PC, head to the source link and official Steam Deck website linked below.

Are you interested in getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Steam Deck Official Website

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Runs SteamOS 3.0, supposedly its now based on Arch Linux for some reason.
Game support thus relies on Linux and Proton support.

It is also not locked down and you can install Windows if you feel like it.

Last edited by Seriel,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
$400 for the base model is a super decent price, I'm certainly going to attempt to reserve one of those myself. Will make a good comparison to the GPD Win 3 :lol:

Hopefully the RDNA 2 CUs in the APU are actually decent and not like the Vega CUs in current APUs which are total ass.

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
really, the handheld is only going to be as good as the games it runs, so this can either be a huge success or a massive flop depending on how it can handle the steam library
minecraft java and tf2 handheld is... tempting to be honest. lets hope that its at least good.

Reactions: Goku1992A

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I personally love these handheld pc consoles, and this one having an official dock only makes it better. I was always a bit unsure of investing alot of money into a no name device, but if its by valve it should be backed alot better and shouldnt be abandoned that easily. Can't wait to see how it performs!

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I personally love these handheld pc consoles, and this one having an official dock only makes it better. I was always a bit unsure of investing alot of money into a no name device, but if its by valve it should be backed alot better and shouldnt be abandoned that easily. Can't wait to see how it performs!
I wouldn't rule out Valve not losing interest in its own hardware but at least for a beginning it shouldn't fare too bad.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wouldn't rule out Valve not losing interest in its own hardware but at least for a beginning it shouldn't fare too bad.
Even if valve loses interest in it over time there is a higher chance that community made updates or stuff gets released for a valve product rather than stuff from gpd for example

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing looks GREAT, the price is GREAT, and I'm HYPED!!!!

But, I will never trust Valve when they claim something is "ergonomic" after they released that monstrosity that was the Steam controller.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
If they live up to this promise, it will be a truly console experience...

(I know that we already can make it work like that ourselves, but "make the setup yourself" is most anti-console phrase ever)

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now that's a real Switch killer, holy fuck. Great pricing, big company backing it up and I can vouch Steam on Linux has never been better than now, pretty much everything works painlessly.

Weird choice to go with Arch-based but given you'll need a recent Mesa stack for day-1 compatibility, it makes sense overall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1