Homebrew Updates about nesDS...

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Pingouin7 said:
nl255 said:
If the ini file is saved in the same directory as nesDS then you wouldn't be able to use it as a DSTwo plugin as the configuration .ini file would overwrite the ini file used by the DSTwo to store the plugin information.

Easy...
Change it so that it becomes nesDS.cfg

Besides, you aren't forced to keep the nesDS.nds file name, you can have the DSTwo plugin be nes.nds and nes.ini while the .ini for the emulator would be named nesDS.ini.
Shouldn't cause problems then.

I think having the configuration file kept in root is better.

ALL of these solutions work — I'm using a DSTwo right now.
What's the point of having a .ini file if it doesn't let you save the screen scaling?
It does let me disable every shortcut though. DIS I LIKE.

I still think my idea of supporting both /DATA/nesDS.cfg and /nesDS.cfg (check in /DATA/ first) is better. Also, it doesn't let you set the sprite rendering method either and quite a few games need it to be per scanline rather than per frame. Not to mention many games have staticy sound (it is very noticable on Batman).

D

Deleted-236924

nl255 said:
Pingouin7 said:
nl255 said:
If the ini file is saved in the same directory as nesDS then you wouldn't be able to use it as a DSTwo plugin as the configuration .ini file would overwrite the ini file used by the DSTwo to store the plugin information.

Easy...
Change it so that it becomes nesDS.cfg

Besides, you aren't forced to keep the nesDS.nds file name, you can have the DSTwo plugin be nes.nds and nes.ini while the .ini for the emulator would be named nesDS.ini.
Shouldn't cause problems then.

I think having the configuration file kept in root is better.

ALL of these solutions work — I'm using a DSTwo right now.
What's the point of having a .ini file if it doesn't let you save the screen scaling?
It does let me disable every shortcut though. DIS I LIKE.

I still think my idea of supporting both /DATA/nesDS.cfg and /nesDS.cfg (check in /DATA/ first) is better. Also, it doesn't let you set the sprite rendering method either and quite a few games need it to be per scanline rather than per frame. Not to mention many games have staticy sound (it is very noticable on Batman).
That would be good, as long as it doesn't force the creation of a DATA folder on root.
Having an extra folder on root is no better than having an extra file.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
qwertymodo said:
It's so annoying when apps create hardcoded folders regardless of where they are located. Also, from a programming perspective, it's usually the result of laziness. Sure, it's easier to implement just saving the config to the root of the card, but in the end the .ini should be located in the same folder as the .nds, if at all possible. No offense intended, but it's sloppy and it shouldn't take hardly any work at all to make this happen (at least now that you're using libnds... I'm not sure how it would have worked before, whether or not it could have handled relative paths...)
Sorry, but I have to disagree... Set folders are perfectly find and acceptable as they give STRUCTURE to files rather than leaving your card a mess.
I do see the merit of having nesDS.nds and nesDS.ini in the same folder, I just think that keeping settings and extra files in a /DATA// folder is a far cleaner solution.

For example, I have 3 applications that use 'extra' files: Bunjalloo, DSx86 and IKUReader.
Thankfully they all use the /DATA/ folder to store their files, because if they weren't (according to you) being "lazy", my Homebrew folder would be an ABSOLUTE MESS of files.

When I was referring to laziness I was specifically referring to files in the root folder, hardcoded folders w/o a standard is annoying, but not lazy.

I can agree when there is some form of standard for what that folder is such as Windows' AppData folder. The problem is, DS homebrew doesn't have any kind of standard for that (yes, many apps use DATA/, but there are a ton that don't as well), so the root of my microSD is exactly the absolute mess you describe, between the random handful of config files directly on the root and the random handful of folders that I didn't want there and that I don't want to see there every time I browse through my SD card. If there's no standard, apps should stay self-contained within whatever directory they are installed to (the way most *nix apps do).

In any case, either go with ./nesDS.ini (same folder as nesDS.nds) or /DATA/nesDS/nesDS.ini, but for heaven's sake don't just throw it in the root.

huiminghao

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
Sound of v0.45a is fixed.. Get it from SVN.
At the starting of PunchOut, it will produce a PCM sound(not DPCM). I disabled it... If I can find a nice way to render the PCM sound, I will try..

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a random fyi, I just tried .45a and the touch screen works great now
smile.gif
dunno if it was something you did specifically or if it was due to switching to libnds, but just thought I'd mention that
yaynds.gif

huiminghao

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
There is no noise when touch the screen.
merged with avenir's patch.
nesDS.ini is searched from / /_dstwoplug/ /ismartplug/ /moonshl2/extlink/ ARGV
Added startin in nesDS.ini
Check it from SVN.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
smile.gif
dunno if it was something you did specifically or if it was due to switching to libnds, but just thought I'd mention that
yaynds.gif

Seconded here. Who the hell knows why, but now it's good.

I just DLed the most recent 0.45a and I still get that buzzing noise now and then. Do I have to compile something from src or is the most recent nesds 045a the one with fixed sound?

Otherwise though, HUGE improvement, though the 256 file thingy is kind of a stinker. I'll just halve my collection into two dirs
biggrin.gif

Edit: man you just released MORE? Damn, you are the most determined DS coder ever, huminghao!

trying now.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
smile.gif
yaynds.gif
avenir fixed the arm7 to make it get the position accurately, huiminghao added it into the build.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
biggrin.gif

Super fast updates again.

Does the INI file support strings now?
If so, would it be possible (AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE) to have shortcut keys use strings as well? Like this:
Code:
;write_savestate
;KEY_START | KEY_DOWN
savestate=KEY_START;KEY_DOWN
If it's too much work, I understand.

Also, semi pointless question, are the folders tried in order until an INI file is found? or is the last one found used?
Code:
if(findpath(5,(char*[]){"/","/DATA/","/_dstwoplug/","/ismartplug/","/moonshl2/extlink/",inibuf},"nesDS.ini")){
(Just in case someone has two files)

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Also, semi pointless question, are the folders tried in order until an INI file is found? or is the last one found used?
Code:
if(findpath(5,(char*[]){"/","/DATA/","/_dstwoplug/","/ismartplug/","/moonshl2/extlink/",inibuf},"nesDS.ini")){
(Just in case someone has two files)
It goes in order. Whatever gets found first is used.

kewlguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a lot of lag and the top pixels of text are cut off with the original Legend of Zelda. It should be a clean US dump and it works well on FCEUX on my PC. Any ideas?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kewlguy said:
I'm getting a lot of lag and the top pixels of text are cut off with the original Legend of Zelda. It should be a clean US dump and it works well on FCEUX on my PC. Any ideas?
No problems on mine...
Can you give a little bit more information?

Tried nesDS045a, nesDS045a_v2 and the current SVN build (r35).
My copy of Zelda is from the GoodNES ROM Set:
Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG 1).nes CRC32:02BB0C56

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kewlguy said:

Enable the Alpha Lerp display setting to help with the text issue.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
kewlguy said:

The text is getting "cut off" because of scaling. It's unavoidable because the DS screen isn't big enough to display the entire NES screen.

D

Deleted-236924

BTW guys, if you were using one of the newer models of DS Lite, the touch screen would have been working fine since the very first version.
But having the touch screen work fine on the earlier models is awesome for those who don't want or cannot afford a new DS.

qwertymodo said:
In any case, either go with ./nesDS.ini (same folder as nesDS.nds) or /DATA/nesDS/nesDS.ini, but for heaven's sake don't just throw it in the root.
I like it being on root.
As long as there's an option for keeping it on root, I'll be okay with it.

avenir said:
QUOTEare the folders tried in order until an INI file is found
yes.
So if you are dstwo user, please put ini to /_dstwoplug/ and don't put anything to /
A lot of people prefer to keep their plugin named "nesDS.nds" and "nesDS.ini"

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
BTW guys, if you were using one of the newer models of DS Lite, the touch screen would have been working fine since the very first version.
But having the touch screen work fine on the earlier models is awesome for those who don't want or cannot afford a new DS.

Nope, mine was brand new a month ago (cobalt and black) and .45a was the first version without touchscreen issues for me. I didn't try .44b (or whichever version it was where he first switched to libnds), but I had tried older EX releases up to about .40 or something like that and they all had issues for me until now. In any case, it works, and that makes me happy
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O