nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Updated Main Post for 1.3c+
https://gbatemp.net/threads/updates-about-nesds.283008/post-10239438

Please read for full list of changes and to give appropriate credit.

Dragon Ball Z - Kyoushuu! Saiya Jin (Japan)
Chronicle of the Radia War (Japan) - Radia Senki
Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden (Japan) - Machine Wataru

all work now try this build (been working on things)

Also restored bad Punch Out hack from PNES-9.98

And fixed random mapper any games crashing like Dragon Warrior 1

Now:

Added in support for mappers:
mapper 42
mapper 119
mapper 140
mapper 249

Some of these use existing mappers just added in support for them in cart.s and added/modified some mapper files to add support for these!
That is about as far as i get, I really need to learn ASM completely before i get to deep updating this project anyways hope you enjoy this build now not crashing on random games! Had a bit of help thanks to Dwedit and his source code and my work taking apart this project.

Someone should really fix the dirty CHR cache tile system in map 9 (Punch Out) and probably others (Though rarely) which has nothing to do with the BG updates i added in (Punch Out uses a 4 way mirror system which is pretty hard to implement in Hardware), until then use pure soft on the two fights the sprites are glitching a bit (doesn't work too bad on frame skip as the game is a bit slow anyways)

For all the rest of games with mess make sure to try Pure Soft (Game-Display-All PureSoft)

https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/NesDS/releases

Last edited by nibbles27,

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi @nibbles27 ,first, I apologize for my concealed skepticism and thank you again, on behalf of everyone.
I did a test from SD-slot (FlipNote Lenny exploit, TwilightMenu++) of a DSi with unexpected results.
You really did an excellent job. All the titles I mentioned above, plus all the fan translated jrpg games I have tried work excellently (except SD Gundam Knight), titles that did not work before. The graphics resolution seems better than before, and the sound too (but maybe that's a wrong impression). All much better than before. Very good job. 😉

Edit: When you have time, couldn't you fix the titles of the Dragon Ball Z (eng patched) series? I don't remember the exact name, they are 3 jrpg games that use cards during battles. Also Just Breed, SD Detective Blader, Machine Wataru, Radia Senki, all these are also very important fan translated jrpg games. If you could solve these problems we would all be very grateful.🙏

Make sure to get the official files as some roms on the internet are bad. Official file names are here for Dragon Ball Z Games and are supported.

https://nesdir.github.io/mapper16.html

Then visit https://www.romhacking.net/ and get the official translation/hack whatever file to apply to it, with FloatingIPS or whatever program.

Reactions: Nikokaro

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Turns out DBZ 2 and 3 translations use somewhat of a different mapper system these games will not boot when set to mapper 16 so if you use the tool above and change it to mapper 159 used very similarly, as some of those translations are labeled that, mapper as well they will run with this update will post it soon.

Funny fact the original Japanese versions do boot on mapper 16 provided in NesDS source, but the translations boot with the old map 16, the changes in the differnt mapper file vary to much for me to really merge it in so as to preserve it i changed it to map 159 set by some DBZ dumps.

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya i looked into map 5, even with a bit of help from Dwedit's sources (Basically the same map5.s as it is based on the same code this emulator uses (PocketNES for GBA) it is about as complete as it gets and i don't know ASM well enough to add an update to the long complicated src of map 5. So sorry no dice.

And i think that is about as far as i get with this project, i did end up fixing two of the issues listed on @RocketRobz src page for NesDS 1.3c (PunchOut-map9, and the issue of map4 ect. games crashing randomly with some updates that were there so i took apart the codebase and reversed the updates so these games work without the crash )

I think i will leave my src up if @RocketRobz want's to use the updates i made he can fork them.

I have been speaking @Coto re mappers etc. he said i could rewrite them i C language which i know as the DS should be capable of this but then that gets into a whole other issue and would really involve a rewrite of alot of the areas and as they are written in ASM (hardware) they are already very speedy, also NesDS currently supports most of all the mappers for the Nes and is quite compatable.

For reference here is a list of all the mappers supported by NesDS so you can see what i mean.

mapper0
mapper1
mapper2
mapper3
mapper4
mapper5
mapper7
mapper9 @mapper9 does almost the same thing with mapper10
mapper10
mapper11
mapper15
mapper16
mapper17
mapper18
mapper19
mapper20
mapper21
mapper22
mapper23
mapper24
mapper25
mapper26
mapper32
mapper33
mapper34
mapper40
mapper42
mapper64
mapper65
mapper66
mapper67
mapper68
mapper69
mapper70
mapper71
mapper72
mapper73
mapper74
mapper75
mapper76
mapper77
mapper78
mapper79
mapper80
mapper85
mapper86
mapper87
mapper90
mapper91
mapper92
mapper93
mapper94
mapper97
mapper99
mapper105
mapper118
mapper119
mapper140
mapper151
mapper152
mapper153
mapper157
mapper158
mapper159 @mapper159 does almost the same thing with mapper16
mapper163
mapper180
mapper184
mapper189
mapper198
mapper216
mapper225
mapper226
mapper227
mapper228
mapper229
mapper230
mapper231
mapper232
mapper240
mapper245
mapper246
mapper249
mapper252
mapper253
mapper255

EDIT: One last update, made bad Punch Out hack (mapper 9/10) not so bad.
@RocketRobz look into merging the last of the changes and update binary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ