Homebrew Updates about nesDS...

A.Force

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I also find the emulator to be working quite well when it comes to gameplay. But i have some issues with sound. Not glitches but rather it seems the entire audio is a bit out of pitch when i compare to the official soundtrack.

Is it that i somehow run the games at the wrong speed? Is there a setting for this?

XeaLouS

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just in case people are looking, the releases are in:
github /cotodevel/NesDS/tree/master/release (sorry, can't post links)

I actually tried going to the normal place where releases are for github
(github /cotodevel/NesDS/releases) and couldnt find it

I have 1.3a atm, and it won' save screen stretch settings. I'm going to try 1.3c tonight and hopefully it will be better.
I really can't be bothered installing ARM compilers to fully check it out :evil:

Reactions: Tarmfot

XeaLouS

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I noticed that the ini file only works when NesDS and the nesds.ini file placed in the root directory of my r4. Is this common or just my r4 being trash?
I recommend either
1) Fixing so that nesds.ini is looked for in same directory as nesds.nds,
2) documenting it in nesds.ini.

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the help of Evie11, I've gotten NesDS to compile on the latest devKitARM r55.
I am currently looking towards cleaning up the code. If anyone can pass along a few things, that'd be great.

Most noticably, I'm looking for testers, people who know how cheats works, coders and etc.
Please reply to the thread if you could help. I especially need an example of cheats. I cannot find anything online on how they work so it would be greatly appreciated.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
With the help of Evie11, I've gotten NesDS to compile on the latest devKitARM r55.
I am currently looking towards cleaning up the code. If anyone can pass along a few things, that'd be great.

Most noticably, I'm looking for testers, people who know how cheats works, coders and etc.
Please reply to the thread if you could help. I especially need an example of cheats. I cannot find anything online on how they work so it would be greatly appreciated.

Game Genie engine could be a great start, here's some documentation: http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/gamegenie.html#:~:text=The NES Game Genie works,6- and 8- character.

Here some examples and how these behave:

Last edited by DSoryu,
Reactions: Firexploit

Krem Quay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nice, it would be cool to see how that plays out. good luck

Dre4mR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have an R4 and I tried to add a custom rom directory with nesds.ini but it doesn't work. Both nesds.nds and nesds.ini are located in the root of the sd card. I got the latest build of nesds from TwilightMenu. What am I doing wrong?

upload_2021-5-6_19-43-58.png

Last edited by Dre4mR,

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reviving this thread a bit with a new updated version of NesDS 1.3c

NesDS1.3c+ (SPG) - Screen, Palette, Gamma

So i did a bit of work and successfully added in the three above features in NesDS rearanging the menu a little.

FIRST is the Gamma selection merged code from PocketNES and reimplemented the Gamma Selection (5 Levels)

SECOND is the Palette selection there are 14 different palettes to chose from with change the default RGB colors the emulator renders, 8 were took from a popular selection 3 are FirebrandX palettes and the last 3 are from Nintendo consoles (Wii, Nes Classic, 3DS)

THIRD is a new Screen preset menu to make you life easier instead of using the buggy touchscreen to get a proper scale (though you can still use it if you like just hit [Scale] at the top instead)
10 different presets are available, 4 are Top, Bottom, Middle, +24 (unscaled). Next 4 are PocketNES, All Scaled, Middle Medium scale and Bottom Medium scale. The last two are Default Scale (the one used by default) and Default Scale Lower. Any one could be a good choice depending if you want all pixels or just a Medium scale or whatever.

The thing i like about this update is since i fixed the [All Scaled] setting if you switch renderer to Alpha-Lerp the verticle scrolling wobblies are pretty much gone (Try Zelda 2) So games like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy work well with this work around.

But you may want to use a font patch in that scenario. Here you go my Updated NesDS Font Pack
NesDSUpdatedFontsIPS.zip (Dwedit's Site)

Anyway try this out and tell me how you like the updates (Now called NesDS1.3c+)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I have a bit of an apology to make since 1.3c existed i was under the impression that this branch was just updated for the latest devkitARM. But as i figured out not only did my changes exist, years back there is some credit to give to some ppl i will list below.

So First thank @RocketRobz for hosting my changes.

Secondly give appropriate credit as listed on the download page:

@nadiaholmquist: The FDS BIOS is now separate from the emulator, due to copyright reasons. To re-add it, place disksys.rom on the SD root.

@NightScript370: The key combo to exit the emulator is now L+R+Down+B to be consistent with nds-bootstrap.

@ds-sloth: Changes to save / save loading code (#6)
  • unified load from menu and load from argv
  • create nesDS.ini if it does not exist; allow it to be stored in _nds
  • added internal support code for separate save context
  • added menu option for saves subdir, polished menu
Plus Other improvements

P.S. Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone.

Download Here:

nesDS1.3d+:

https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/NesDS/releases

Last edited by nibbles27,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@nibbles27 , congratulations chief on this unexpected release. Couldn't you also fix NesterDs+, which is compatible with more nes mappers? Would you be able to run it from a DSi's SD-slot (which is now not possible) to take advantage of the faster processor and more ram available? Thanks for the attention.

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally like NesDS and it's speedy renderer, NesterDs+ uses a software renderer (i think) and getting that up to par would be DSi only probably. In NesDS switch to pure soft and see the difference in speed.
And what do you mean NesDS doesn't have enough mappers, it has a ton. You might be fooled because the transition between 13b and 13c broke a little bit of games which i am looking to see if i can restore them.

Which games don't run out of curiousity?

Reactions: VinsCool

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Which games don't run out of curiousity?
I haven't played it seriously for a few years, but I remember that many unlicensed Chinese titles (some translated into english) didn't work (Final Fantasy VII, Tomb Raider, World of Warcraft, some versions of Street Fighter II, etc.) and various jrpg games translated into english only in recent years, including Lagrange Point (inaudible BGMs) and SD Gundam Knight. At the moment I only remember these, but if you're really interested I'll make a complete list as soon as I can.
However if you say that yours is better, so much the better. 😋

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Angelus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reviving this thread a bit with a new updated version of NesDS 1.3c

NesDS1.3c+ (SPG) - Screen, Palette, Gamma

So i did a bit of work and successfully added in the three above features in NesDS rearanging the menu a little.

FIRST is the Gamma selection merged code from PocketNES and reimplemented the Gamma Selection (5 Levels)

SECOND is the Palette selection there are 14 different palettes to chose from with change the default RGB colors the emulator renders, 8 were took from a popular selection 3 are FirebrandX palettes and the last 3 are from Nintendo consoles (Wii, Nes Classic, 3DS)

THIRD is a new Screen preset menu to make you life easier instead of using the buggy touchscreen to get a proper scale (though you can still use it if you like just hit [Scale] at the top instead)
10 different presets are available, 4 are Top, Bottom, Middle, +24 (unscaled). Next 4 are PocketNES, All Scaled, Middle Medium scale and Bottom Medium scale. The last two are Default Scale (the one used by default) and Default Scale Lower. Any one could be a good choice depending if you want all pixels or just a Medium scale or whatever.

The thing i like about this update is since i fixed the [All Scaled] setting if you switch renderer to Alpha-Lerp the verticle scrolling wobblies are pretty much gone (Try Zelda 2) So games like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy work well with this work around.

But you may want to use a font patch in that scenario. Here you go my Updated NesDS Font Pack
NesDSUpdatedFontsIPS.zip (Dwedit's Site)

Anyway try this out and tell me how you like the updates (Now called NesDS1.3c+)

Ya im pretty sure most of those run
One that maybe enters and that is because it is a current hackrom, when trying to run this hack rom it shows what is seen in the image

Attachments

• 20230708_230437.jpg
    20230708_230437.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can confirm these CH hacks work:

Bio Hazard (Unl) [T-ENG]
Earth Worm Jim 3 (Unl)
Final Fantasy IV Famicom Trilogy (Unl)
Final Fantasy VII (Unl)
STH - Sonic Improvement Vol.2 (Unl)
Street Fighter II (Unl)
Super Contra 7 (Unl)
Super Mario World (Unl)

One that maybe enters and that is because it is a current hackrom, when trying to run this hack rom it shows what is seen in the image

This type of hackrom probably would require and overhaul on the code and a lot of time.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can confirm these CH hacks work:

Bio Hazard (Unl) [T-ENG]
Earth Worm Jim 3 (Unl)
Final Fantasy IV Famicom Trilogy (Unl)
Final Fantasy VII (Unl)
STH - Sonic Improvement Vol.2 (Unl)
Street Fighter II (Unl)
Super Contra 7 (Unl)
Super Mario World (Unl)
Out of curiosity, have you tried random (unl) titles, and all of them without exception work, or are you mentioning only those few working titles, omitting the others? In the first case, kudos, then you have taken a very big step toward the perfect nes emulator for DS. 😉

Reactions: SylverReZ

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those are the one's i enjoy playing i think most of the (CH) (Unl) titles should work with an exception of a few but i don't really have to time to go hunt down more and test.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi @nibbles27 ,first, I apologize for my concealed skepticism and thank you again, on behalf of everyone.
I did a test from SD-slot (FlipNote Lenny exploit, TwilightMenu++) of a DSi with unexpected results.
You really did an excellent job. All the titles I mentioned above, plus all the fan translated jrpg games I have tried work excellently (except SD Gundam Knight), titles that did not work before. The graphics resolution seems better than before, and the sound too (but maybe that's a wrong impression). All much better than before. Very good job. 😉

Edit: When you have time, couldn't you fix the titles of the Dragon Ball Z (eng patched) series? I don't remember the exact name, they are 3 jrpg games that use cards during battles. Also Just Breed, SD Detective Blader, Machine Wataru, Radia Senki, all these are also very important fan translated jrpg games. If you could solve these problems we would all be very grateful.🙏

Last edited by Nikokaro,

nibbles27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Updated Main Post for 1.3c+
https://gbatemp.net/threads/updates-about-nesds.283008/post-10239438

Please read to give appropriate credit.
Post automatically merged:

Dragon Ball Z - Kyoushuu! Saiya Jin (Japan)
Chronicle of the Radia War (Japan) - Radia Senki
Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden (Japan) - Machine Wataru

all work now try this build (been working on things)

Also restored bad Punch Out hack from PNES-9.98

And fixed random mapper any games crashing like Dragon Warrior 1

Now:

Added in support for mappers:
mapper 42
mapper 119
mapper 140
mapper 249

Some of these use existing mappers just added in support for them in cart.s and added/modified some mapper files to add support for these!

https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/NesDS/releases

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended