UDPIH: USB Host Stack exploit + Recovery Menu

It's been a while without any major exploits in the Wii U scene, so I present to you:

USB Descriptor Parsing Is Hard (UDPIH)

An exploit for the Wii U's USB Host Stack. Pronounced like "mud pie" without the M.

The write-up can be found here!

What does this mean?​

Since the USB Stack is running before anything on the PPC side of the Wii U is booted, this allows unbricking things like CBHC bricks without any soldering!

Requirements​

• A Wii U
  • One of the devices listed below
    Note: Any other linux device capable of USB device emulation should work as well.
    Prebuilt releases are only available for the Pico and Zero.
    I will add more devices below which are confirmed to work.

Supported devices:​

• A Raspberry Pi Pico or Zero
  • A Nintendo Switch capable of running udpih_nxpayload

Instructions​

Pico​

• Download the latest udpih.uf2 from the releases page.
  • Hold down the BOOTSEL button on the board and connect the Pico to your PC.
    Your PC will detect the Pi as a storage device.
  • Copy the .uf2 file to the Pico. It will disconnect after a few seconds.
The Pico is now flashed and can be used for udpih. Continue with "Booting the recovery_menu" below.

Raspberry Pi Zero (Linux)​

• Install the required dependencies:
    Bash:
    sudo apt install build-essential raspberrypi-kernel-headers
  • Clone the repo:
  • Bash:
    git clone https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/udpih.git
    cd udpih
  • Download the latest arm_kernel.bin.h from the releases page and copy it to the arm_kernel directory.
  • Now build the kernel module:
  • Bash:
    cd linux
    make
  • You can now run sudo insmod udpih.ko to insert the kernel module into the kernel.
The Zero is now ready to be used for udpih.
Note that you'll need to insert the module again after rebooting the Zero. You will need 2 USB cables, one for powering the Zero and one which can be connected to the Wii U.

Continue with "Booting the recovery_menu" below.

Booting the recovery_menu​

warning
Important notes for this to work:
  • Make sure no other USB Devices are attached to the console.
  • Only use USB ports on the front of the console, the back ports will not work.
  • If your console has standby mode enabled, pull the power plug and turn it on from a full coldboot state.
  • Copy the latest release of the recovery_menu to the root of your FAT32 formatted SD Card.
  • Insert the SD Card into the console and power it on.
  • As soon as you see the "Wii U" logo on the TV or Gamepad plug in your Zero/Pico.
    This timing is important. If you're already in the menu, the exploit won't work..
  • After a few seconds you should be in the recovery menu.
So what's this recovery menu? The recovery menu allows you to fix several bricks:
screenshot

Wii U Recovery Menu

A simple recovery menu running on the IOSU for unbricking.

Options​

Set Coldboot Title
Allows changing the current title the console boots to.
Useful for unbricking CBHC bricks.
Possible options are:
  • Wii U Menu (JPN) - 00050010-10040000
  • Wii U Menu (USA) - 00050010-10040100
  • Wii U Menu (EUR) - 00050010-10040200
On non-retail systems the following additional options are available:
  • System Config Tool - 00050010-1F700500
  • DEVMENU (pre-2.09) - 00050010-1F7001FF
  • Kiosk Menu - 00050010-1FA81000
Dump Syslogs
Copies all system logs to a logs folder on the root of the SD Card.

Dump OTP + SEEPROM
Dumps the OTP and SEEPROM to otp.bin and seeprom.bin on the root of the SD Card.

Start wupserver
Starts wupserver which allows connecting to the console from a PC using wupclient.

Load Network Configuration
Loads a network configuration from the SD, and temporarily applies it to use wupserver.
The configurations will be loaded from a network.cfg file on the root of your SD.
For using the ethernet adapter, the file should look like this:
Code:
type=eth

For using wifi:
Code:
type=wifi
ssid=ssidhere
key=wifikeyhere
key_type=WPA2_PSK_AES

Pair Gamepad
Displays the Gamepad Pin and allows pairing a Gamepad to the system. Also bypasses any region checks while pairing.
The numeric values represent the following symbols: ♠ = 0, ♥ = 1, ♦ = 2, ♣ = 3.
Note that rebooting the system might be required to use the newly paired gamepad.

Install WUP
Installs a valid signed WUP from the install folder on the root of your SD Card.
Don't place the WUP into any subfolders.

Edit Parental Controls
Displays the current Parental Controls pin configuration.
Allows disabling Parental Controls.

Debug System Region
Fixes bricks caused by setting productArea and/or gameRegion to an invalid value. Symptoms include being unable to launch System Settings or other in-region titles.

System Information
Displays info about several parts of the system.
Including serial number, manufacturing date, console type, regions, memory devices...

Credits​

Special thanks to Maschell, rw-r-r-0644, QuarkTheAwesome, vgmoose, exjam, dimok789, and everyone else who contributed to the Wii U scene!

Last edited by GaryOderNichts,

N3311

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,
I also have a special issue with my WiiU. When I press Power the WiiU boots and is stuck on the WiiU-Screen. The Gamepad boots into the Fast-Start-Menu and is then also Stuck in the WiiU-Screen.
I tried to access the Recovery-Menu, but the screen stays the same. The Power LED goes purple but the Menu is not shown. I tried to "blind navigate" with Power and Eject but it seems not to work.
Does somebody know a solution to this Problem?

EDIT: I was able to blind navigate to the Log-File-Dump to the SD-Card. This worked but I don't understand the meaning of the errors.

Attachments

• Log.zip
    27 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by N3311,

stormlord

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, will there be a new version with the option to dump MLC (32GB nand)? My Wii U cannot load the internet browser and it is necessary to back up the memory.

Thanks for you job.

Larrikkin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I have been trying to set this up on my Rpi Zero, but continue to get a usb_gadget_probe_driver error. I'm using the latest version of Raspian that I flashed with the official imager, and I've made sure to update packages and everything. I suspect there is a simple step I am failing to complete, or maybe this is an incompatible model of RPI?. Thanks.

GaryOderNichts

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, I have been trying to set this up on my Rpi Zero, but continue to get a usb_gadget_probe_driver error. I'm using the latest version of Raspian that I flashed with the official imager, and I've made sure to update packages and everything. I suspect there is a simple step I am failing to complete, or maybe this is an incompatible model of RPI?. Thanks.
Uh yeah they changed it to usb_gadget_register_driver in one of the newer linux releases.
Will push an update real quick.

Reactions: Valery0p

Prince ofhell

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
The system doesn't boot it stuck on the boot screen with an error
Post automatically merged:

This is a picture of the screen

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_213402.jpg
    IMG_20230504_213402.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32

Toschwil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
how i can fix an 160-1402 error on my wii u witch the dvd drive died
Error 1402 will shown, if the flatcable of the drive is rotated (rotate the cable with the edge right). If you then got error 160-1400 then are mostly two small smd items near the driver connector bad (on the Wii U Pcb) and had to be replaced.

from what I've been told, a failed dvd drive doesn't affect games booting at least. it's not like sony systems in that regard.
That is only true for a defective laser. The drive electronic ist part of the security system.

Last edited by Toschwil,

Prince ofhell

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
logs file

Error 1402 will shown, if the flatcable of the drive is rotated (rotate the cable with the edge right). If you then got error 160-1400 then are mostly two small smd items near the driver connector bad (on the Wii U Pcb) and had to be replaced.

That is only true for a defective laser. The drive electronic ist part of the security system.
bro i know for sour that my drive is faulty i took it to a repair service and they told me i have a bad daughter board on the drive

the system was on 5.5.2 when they updated the system to 5.5.3 it gave that error and since then the wii u is breaked

Attachments

• logs.rar
    286 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by Prince ofhell,

Toschwil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
logs file

bro i know for sour that my drive is faulty i took it to a repair service and they told me i have a bad daughter board on the drive

the system was on 5.5.2 when they updated the system to 5.5.3 it gave that error and since then the wii u is breaked
This is the same as with the PS3. If the connection to the DVD drive does not work 100% during a firmware update, the drive will not be checked, updated and this will end in this error message. With the PS3 I would have to look for the error message, I don't have it in my head and it wasn't anywhere at the time. With the Ps3, however, there is the possibility of marrying another PCB, which is not yet possible with the Wii U as far as I know. You have to check your Wii U PCB !

ok bro i will disasimble the console tomorrow and will tell you whats will happed
Ok, if you got 1400 error, you have to check the red area. Mostly the first two tiny smd parts a gone.
DSC_9010.jpg

Last edited by Toschwil,

Prince ofhell

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
This is the same as with the PS3. If the connection to the DVD drive does not work 100% during a firmware update, the drive will not be checked, updated and this will end in this error message. With the PS3 I would have to look for the error message, I don't have it in my head and it wasn't anywhere at the time. With the Ps3, however, there is the possibility of marrying another PCB, which is not yet possible with the Wii U as far as I know. You have to check your Wii U PCB !

i found the original thread error and the issue for 2019

https://gbatemp.net/threads/driver-error.554306

i got the motherboard without the daughter board

Last edited by Prince ofhell,

Toschwil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The pure console cost nothing. The price depends on your location. Here in Germany you can get an 32 GB with power Supply for only about 35€. If there are not important data on it, i will prefer a new one.

Reactions: Prince ofhell

calvotron13

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Looking to get some help with this Wii U I purchased. I do not know the history of this console, so I have no NAND backup of it. It displays a 160-0101 error, however when I use a pi pico to load the udpih + recovery menu, I cant seem to set the coldboot title back to my correct region. It gives me an error telling me to make sure title is installed correctly. Going into debug system region, its telling me that it could not find a Wii U menu title on this console.

Can this be fixed?

Attachments

• logs.zip
    208.7 KB · Views: 12
  • coldboot.jpg
    coldboot.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
  • debug.jpg
    debug.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge